Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Happy Birthday Floral Clock, Palmeria Square

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Today is not only the 56th anniversary of the Queen's Coronation but also the official opening of the Floral Clock in Palmeria Square. I remember being taken down there in 1953 in the afternoon by my parents to watch the Mayor do the honours. My Mum & Dad were quite impressed by it all. I thought it was all a bit boring but must say I quite like it now.

Attachments

• floral clock.jpg
    floral clock.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I have an Argus with a picture somewhere, of the then Mayor asking me the time.
I thought what an idiot, there's a bloody great clock there. Fancy asking a seven year old! :lolol:

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
I visited the biggest floral clock on Planet Earth last year. :) Wasn't intentional, it just happened to be we were we went that weekend.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
I have an Argus with a picture somewhere, of the then Mayor asking me the time.
I thought what an idiot, there's a bloody great clock there. Fancy asking a seven year old! :lolol:

thats cos it never f***ing works!!!

remember the toilets at the east end of the square?

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
thats cos it never f***ing works!!!

remember the toilets at the east end of the square?

It did in 1953. Toilets that's a rather random association. A girlfriend of mines dad was a photographer and took the odd pic for the police way back. He spent a few hours in those bogs with his camera waiting to picture the liaisons in the cubicles as evidence. :censored:

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
It did in 1953. Toilets that's a rather random association. A girlfriend of mines dad was a photographer and took the odd pic for the police way back. He spent a few hours in those bogs with his camera waiting to picture the liaisons in the cubicles as evidence. :censored:

not that random, for some of the younger viewers thay may not know there were toilets there that were filled in, prob mid 80's??

A police officer mate of mine once told me that, in the old days, there were men who used to visit Hove and spend the whole of a fortnight's holiday in the Palmeira Square toilets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here