Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Handing in notice - getting out quick

Digweeds Trousers

May 17, 2004
Tunbridge Wells
Once again I turn to the sages and dunces of NSC in my hour of need.

I have been at my current company for 2 1/2 years and now want to move on - I have a fantastic offer in writing from my prospective new employer with a wacking great pay rise, the chance of travel, a far better work life balance qand the ability to get myself back to Sussex - working from home and commuting to the office on London twice a week.

Where I am at the moment though is going through turbulent times - we have lost two key people last week and now the focus is really on me as one of the longest serving people here on the sales front to hold everyone together and help us get through it.

I have a real sense of loyalty to my employer - but the bottom line is this offer is just too good for me to turn down.

When I hand in my notice are there any things to be very careful about - I'm not for instance interested in a counter offer of any type - this is as much about the life balance and the opportunity as the csah.

Advice gratefully received as always.

DT

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Dear boss

I've had a better offer, and I'll be leaving a month from today.
Leaving presents are invariably rubbish, so if you could please tell whoever's organising it that I'd like to just have the cash.

Thanks.

Diggers

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
Once again I turn to the sages and dunces of NSC in my hour of need.

I have been at my current company for 2 1/2 years and now want to move on - I have a fantastic offer in writing from my prospective new employer with a wacking great pay rise, the chance of travel, a far better work life balance qand the ability to get myself back to Sussex - working from home and commuting to the office on London twice a week.

Where I am at the moment though is going through turbulent times - we have lost two key people last week and now the focus is really on me as one of the longest serving people here on the sales front to hold everyone together and help us get through it.

I have a real sense of loyalty to my employer - but the bottom line is this offer is just too good for me to turn down.

When I hand in my notice are there any things to be very careful about - I'm not for instance interested in a counter offer of any type - this is as much about the life balance and the opportunity as the csah.

Advice gratefully received as always.

DT

GO! They would drop you like a stone. It's a job, no more. You are not responsible fo the well being of the rest of the company.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Zef's just handed his in today - his excuse was he's sending the wife back to full time work and he's going to swan around like a kept man - so no counter offer necessary... :lol:

I'd just tell them that you're ready to go, don't burn any bridges, its time to move on and make things simpler for yourself personally by changing jobs to a situation they can't better...

Porky

Oct 5, 2003
Ontario. Canada
At two and a half years, you are one of the longest serving?
Red flags all over the place.
As Hercules says, you have little or no responsibility for the well being of the company. Git while the gitting is good.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
You have to think about this very carefully.

Will they let you drink lots and then post on NSC at this year's Christmas party?

If yes, then go for it.
If no, then YOU'RE GETTING LOADS MORE MONEY FOR A BETTER JOB FOR HEAVEN'S SAKES, MAN!

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
Good luck with the new job.

Just inform your boss that you are leaving for personal reasons and that it is nothing they have done for you to leave. Thank them for the time you have been there and that it would be good to meet up in the future. Dont' burn bridges as you may need to cross back again.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Remember you'll need a reference at some point - be nice about it.

Standard policy in most companies I've dealt with now is not to give a reference, only to confirm that the person worked for you and did/didn't have internal disciplinary proceedings. Not found one multinational that'll say anything beyond that for legal reasons - give a bad reference, get found out, spend ages in court proving it was true, etc.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I would ask your boss to prove to you the companies ambitions. I would want to see definite PROOF that the business will be turning over a healthy profit by the turn of the year, and that you by return will be generously recompensed for your vital role in achieving this aim.

Then regardless of the answer, I'd f*** straight off anyway. Seems to be the done thing.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Being loyal gets you nowhere, so be professional, polite..........and quit.

GOod luck in your new job.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
You're not Dean Hammond, are you?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here