Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Handcross Hill

Woodingdean Gull

Jul 7, 2003
Woodingdean, Brighton
I couldn’t agree more about the A23 and the M25. I work at Sunbury, right next to junction 1 on the M3. So, my journey is A23, M23, M25, junction 7 thru to junction 12, and M3, junction 1 to 2.
Before I leave work to get home, I check the BBC M25 traffic news on the web, and then listen to all traffic news on the radio, (SCR is the best), just in case an accident happens after I get on the road. You soon learn every side road going. Unfortunately, so does every one else. But I can now, more or less, find my way around South West London, North Hants, Surrey, and most of Sussex.
Happy motoring.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
for me its Shoreham- Crawley and back . . .. every day.

Handcross Hill is a black spot, it needs a proper bridge building up the hill as theres obviously reasons why it wasnt upgraded . . .

you only have to look at the standing water you get on other stretches which have been upgraded (albeit 12 years ago) to see why its a potentially problematic and expensive project.

I cant wait to find a job local to home and Ill take a pay cut to get it.

Incidentally, I saw a three lorry crash on the M6, a lorry fire on the M40 and a lorry on its side on the M40, about 20 cases of dangerous driving (all BMW's ;-) ) , 100's of shell suits pushing prams . . . . . . . . .and Rick Parrfit from Status Quo, all yesterday . . . . .and all during a 4 hour 20 minute journey from Aintree Liverpool to Shoreham-by-the-sea

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
the most annoying aspect is that, as it's a notorious accident spot, I try to leave a reasonable distance between me and the car in front every time, to avoid shunting someone when the inevitable sudden slow-down happens.

Only some arse always, without fail, thinks the minimal gap I am leaving in order not to go up the backside of the vehicle in front, is the perfect size space for him (it's always a him) to squeeze into and overtake someone, thus causing me to brake even further, slowing down more, to allow a new gap, which some arse always.....etc etc

:angry:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
agreed Edna . . . .and its not always blokes, air steardesses Ive seen doing it . . . .and BMW drivers, van drivers . . . .loads oif em . . .they race up the inside, through the twist, then all of a sudden the lorries have slowed, so they dive in to the outside lane causing everyone behind to stamp on the middle pedal . . causing accidents aplenty.

I have very little sympathy for people who smash their cars up going up there it is almost completely avoidable (although Ive had a few close shaves myself over the years) :rolleyes:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Agree, the majority of accidents up there are surely human error, mostly because of people driving too close to the car in front. And because it's such a crappy 2 lane stretch, one barely noticeable fender bender at 8am turns into a 2 mile tailback for hours.

While I'm on the subject, WHY do people always slow down to gawp at road accidents??? And don't tell me its human nature, or that I do as well, because i don't, I'm too busy trying to avoid crashing into the car in front of me who has slowed to have a good look at the tiny shunt over at the side of the road.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Still you could all get the train couldn't you?

That's inexpensive, reliable, and comprehensive in Mid-Sussex eh ? :angry: :lolol:

ChutneyStirrer

Sep 14, 2003
Lammy said:
I don't understand why they don't just straighten it?

They are going to...... but it will take some time - the land needed is covered in ancient woodland that is protected......

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
The Tories decided years ago that it was too expensive to straighten but there are plans to get it sorted now.

Like many I have to use the road daily and it's not a problem with the speed of the cars it's the crazy tossers who drive them. Early morning all the suits undertake until they get to the steep part then they cut back to the outer lane which causes mucho braking and the shunts.

As always it's the mad f***** who drive like shite at 65 that are 100 times more dangerous than those of us who drive safely at 80 (cue me crashing tomorrow morning!):p

At the risk of upsetting Stumpy Tim, I'll agree with Guinness Boy.

Despite the irritations of trains running ten minutes late (more often than not these days), public transport is a far more reliable way of travelling north-south.

And hands up all those drivers who really think things will get less congested on the A23 if and when they get round to driving a new wide road through all that delightful woodland near Handcross Hill.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
It took me 1 hour 40 mins to get from worthing to north crawley yesterday morning just due to road works and heavy traffic.
I love those ones who zoom up the fast lane at the road works when every one else seems to be queing nicely in the slow lane and then squeeze in right at the front.im boiling up before ive even got to work.:angry: :censored:

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Dick Knights Mum said:
Now I know you ................ I will make sure you get my business from now on ....

*special NSC handshake*

Hmm.. I'm intrigued.

Im on the right!!!!!!

Attachments

• richie & geoff.jpg
    richie & geoff.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 69

ChutneyStirrer

Sep 14, 2003
BRIGHT ON Q said:
I love those ones who zoom up the fast lane at the road works when every one else seems to be queing nicely in the slow lane and then squeeze in right at the front:

You should be using both lanes when approaching road works and then merge when the lane is closed - it is the ones queuing that are causing the problems..... fi you use both lanes the tailback is half the length.

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
ChutneyStirrer said:
You should be using both lanes when approaching road works and then merge when the lane is closed - it is the ones queuing that are causing the problems..... fi you use both lanes the tailback is half the length.

Agree totally, if all the dicks on the inside lane (that move into it at the first sign of a queue) let in one car each, the traffic would flow nicely.
But know, they keep bumper to bumper to not let someone in from the outside lane. What is the point?
If everbody - queued as was said - the jam would stretch back for miles and miles.
Merge in turn all you people out there that hog the inside lane - get a life!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here