Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Handcross Hill.. 3 years of roadworks.. Does it affect you?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Travelling to Crawley leatherhead and hounslow most days is going to be fun for a while. Looks like the a24 will be the preferred way. Unfortunately, the train is not an option these days.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Well overdue and well worth the inconvenience if it makes the road safer. Although dualled carriageway it is not up to current standards (reminds me of the old A23 from Pycombe to Alborne) and has a poor accident record in both directions. Most of this is due to poor driving with the downhill / southbound direction being particularly dodgy with punters approaching those blind bends at 80-90mph as if they are still on the M23. The Slaugham and Handcross sliproads are substandard so I guess these will be sorted out too.

I hope like many other major road projects that this will be finished way ahead of schedule - unless some rare newt or bat habitat is suddenly discovered.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Anyone tried the new(ish) burger van just before the Garden Centre, as you approach the hill from the south?

Any good?

If I'm going to be stuck in traffic for an hour each morning I better get the supplies in!!

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
It's always been a horrible and dangerous stretch of road. Really is about time they improved it, but 3 years ffs?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Always seems to be a lot of accidents around the Pycombe stretch of the A23, and it's never seemed like a tricky bit of road to navigate to me.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
I would hope that the Slaugham exit will be eliminated. Totally unnecessary for the volume of traffic using it which can use the Handcross or Warninglid intersections instead.

The Slaugham exit is being eliminated, and the Handcross one improved with longer run offs.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
Being Handcross born and bred we had waited for improvements on this section since the first major accident in 1908. There was a memorial halfway up north bound side to remind people to be careful and remember those poor lost souls from Orpington. Seems to have been removed during one of the many failed improvements. Locals know its been a death trap for years and to treat it with caution. I now live in the luxurious north but face that stretch every home game...with the hair on my neck standing up! I will be glad to see it upgraded but looks like I will be setting off earlier still to negotiate that.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
They have recently put grey boxes on the side of at least a couple of lanes in the Bolney/Warninglid area linked to something embedded in the road surface, presumably some kind of traffic counting equipment.

I am assuming that this has been done ahead of the roadworks to see what increase there is in rat-run traffic. What they can do about it, I don't know.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Always seems to be a lot of accidents around the Pycombe stretch of the A23, and it's never seemed like a tricky bit of road to navigate to me.
Given the standard of driving I see on that stretch most mornings the only surprise is that there aren't more accidents. I only drive the bit from the A27 to the Pyecombe turnoff yet I see more near misses there than all of the rest of the drive from Worthing to Burgess Hill

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Given the standard of driving I see on that stretch most mornings the only surprise is that there aren't more accidents. I only drive the bit from the A27 to the Pyecombe turnoff yet I see more near misses there than all of the rest of the drive from Worthing to Burgess Hill

I gave up on the A27 route from Worthing to Burgess Hill and now use the A24/A272. It's generally more reliable for journey times and there seem to be far less arseholes who want to change lanes every few seconds and drive right on your bumper than there are on the A27. I reckon everyone gets so frustrated at the crawl from Worthing to Shoreham Airport that they lose all common sense and turn into pissed up boy racers.

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
It's going to be a pain in our lives for the next three years if you use the road
to Gatwick daily like me but I agree it has to be done, there have been 100 serious accidents since the the road was opened so if it saves 50 lives in the next 20 years
it will be worth the cost. I read somewhere that the guy who designed the road put bend in the road to slow traffic down!!!
They said the first three months will just be chopping down the trees, clearing
all the foresty area.
Then the Road works will start...

How come they can now cut these trees down, they were left in under the origonal scheme as they were protected, what has changed?

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Two lanes to be kept open in each direction with 40mph speed restrictions and average speed cameras during construction (further lane restrictions may be installed overnight for specific operations).
Well seeing the inside lane was coned off at 5,00pm today seems to be a load of bollocks! :censored:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here