Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Handcross Hill.. 3 years of roadworks.. Does it affect you?

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Works started last night with regular road closures and major diversions..

Will all this change you're travel plans on a regular basis? E.g commuting, school run or following BHAFC every other week?

The reports are suggesting that you should allow an extra hour if you are planning on catching a flight from Gatwick...

Discuss.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Went to London by car today, and work hasn't properly started yet , apart from a few cones up the outside. Understand it's going to be 40 mph through the zone, so at least it should still flow.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
As I live at one end of it and on a lane that unfortunately could become a rat-run, the answer is yes.

It is definitely a job that needs doing, but three years?? Surely not?

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Went to London by car today, and work hasn't properly started yet , apart from a few cones up the outside. Understand it's going to be 40 mph through the zone, so at least it should still flow.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

If it gets up to 40mph then that will be an improvement compared to some mornings.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I hope thats not true as I work at Gatwick and don't wish to add more time to my journey.

That is what I've read!

As I live at one end of it and on a lane that unfortunately could become a rat-run, the answer is yes.

It is definitely a job that needs doing, but three years?? Surely not?

Report said approx 156 weeks!

That will make the 'rat runs' busier.

They are busy enough as it is IMO!

I agree that this work is vital and should have been done when the major A23 roadworks were done some 20 years ago... Many people have lost their lives in the meantime... This will inevitably save lives in the future, therefore it will be worth the hassle but I can foresee lots of problems during the process of these works!

Reports suggest that the speed limit will be set at 40mph until works are complete lol... I can't recall driving that fast during the main rush periods ever, so that will be a bonus!!!

Ken Newbury

Feb 6, 2006
1/2 mile from LDC country
I remember when the work was tendered the major stipulation for contractors tendering was that they had to keep two lanes open in each direction at all times during the work. It will be interesting to see if that is what is going to actually happening?

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Is this going both ways?

It's apparently being straightened out and made into 3 lanes on both sides.

Double post??? dunno why?

Last edited:

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
It's going to be a pain in our lives for the next three years if you use the road
to Gatwick daily like me but I agree it has to be done, there have been 100 serious accidents since the the road was opened so if it saves 50 lives in the next 20 years
it will be worth the cost. I read somewhere that the guy who designed the road put bend in the road to slow traffic down!!!
They said the first three months will just be chopping down the trees, clearing
all the foresty area.
Then the Road works will start...

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
About time, 32 ton lorry jack knifed right in front of me, coming back down that hill in the rain 10 years ago & a friend died 'losing it' on a bend a few years before that...nasty road

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here