Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hampshire vs Sussex - The Official Thread

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Sussex take on Hants at the Rose Bowl, for their second match in the London Victoria County Championship

The Sussex Squad
R R Montgomerie, C D Hopkinson, M H Yardy, M W Goodwin, C J Adams*, R S C Martin-Jenkins, A J Hodd+, L J Wright, Rana Naved-Ul-Hasan, Mushtaq Ahmed, J D Lewry, M J Gould.

There are no injuries to report.

Sussex vs Hampshire
Since Hampshire joined the County Championship in 1895

Overall, Sussex leads by 61-51, with 73 draws
In matches in Hampshire, the home side edge the series, by 32-23, with 39 matches drawn.
This will be just the fourth meeting of the sides at the Rose Bowl – we await our first positive result, as the first two matches were drawn, and last year’s fixture resulted in a home win.
Interesting Facts about this fixture:

Since Hampshire joined the County Championship in 1895

Sussex’s best run is the history of this fixture is five wins, which has been achieved twice previously (1898-1900 and 1952-5). Hampshire’s best run is four wins, achieved in 1946-7.
Sussex’s last win against Hampshire was in 2001, when Jason Lewry’s breathtaking spell of 7 wickets in 13 balls almost single-handedly won the match for the home side.
The longest unbeaten streak in this fixture is 22 games by Sussex (1897-1907), comprising 15 wins and 7 draws. This 22-game steak equals Sussex’s longest unbeaten run against any side, having also recorded one of 22 games against Northants from 1931-48.
Sussex have lost to Hampshire just once in the County Championship since the split to 2 divisions in 2000.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Gwylan said:
No Matty Prior yet?

I believe that the MJ Gould is Ian's son.

I think, although he is not on a central contract, Sussex were asked not to play him for a month and they accepted that. Very sporting of them.

If he is, then lets hope Ian is umpiring!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
what makes this the official thread?

where are the names of the umpires mentioned?

:angry:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
RANAAAAAAAAAA!

Gould to miss out then. I'm getting worried about Kirtley you know, hopefully he can get his action right by the time Lewry breaks down in late June and we lose Rana. Looks like that Spencer didn't work out, no great surprise.

No Pieterson or Warne for Hants but Tremlett is in the squad.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Gwylan said:
No Matty Prior yet?

I believe that the MJ Gould is Ian's son.
"Gouldy" is indeed the offspring of former Middlesex and Sussex gloveman IJ "Gunner" Gould... a promising youngster who had been with a minor county (Hertfordshire? Berkshire?) until last year when he moved to Hove on an "Academy Plus" contract...

earlier team line-ups didn't include Rana (referred to Sussex as "unchanged"...) - he was always meant to be playing, very good news if he is...

ps
can we have a fall of wicket smiley?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Off the mark with a wide.

No surprise from the BBC with their choice for live commentaries on the web... Middlesex and Surrey :angry:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
pevenseagull said:
RANA! RANA! RANA!

I love that man (not in a homosexual way)

He'll be there on MONDAY. I'm getting a photo of him and then getting it blown up and put on a t shirt. Don't you try and stop me!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
Sussex off to a flyer. 5-0 after 8 overs. A scoring rate of 0.625 runs per over.

COME ON, HIT THE SODDING THING.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Given their form I don't blame these two for playing themselves in. Though Hoppo was quite easily set up by Carter last week so I expect him to nick one in a minute.

You coming Monday Al?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here