Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Haim

Pintos

Jul 28, 2005
Oxted
I agree about Palma Violets but Tame Impala are quality.

I saw Palma Violets supporting someone last year (before I'd heard of them) and thought they were excellent.
If I saw them now after the hype they've attracted I'd probably think they were rubbish - a lot is about expectation management.

A bit like Marcos Painter's performance at Ipswich - I feared the worst but he was fairly good. I left happy.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The reason I ask is that new music is far more accessible than ever before, but still the general public seem intent on listening to bands who are being plugged to the hilt by NME and the indie press.

There are bands out there that the music press ignore because they don't conform to a "standard".

New bands that people have probably never heard of, that should be given a listen;

Alpines
Breton
Binary
MS MR
Io Echo
Alt- J (ok they one the Mercury prize in 2012 so you may have heard of them)
Chvrches
Daughter
Deaf Club
2:54
Icona Pop
Karin Park (not new but not that accessible to the UK)
Merchandise
Polica
Purity Ring

Try em and let me know what you think.

Merchandise are bloomin brilliant. Can't wait until they haul themselves over here.

As for Haim, it's just emperor's new clothes isn't it. this time its a bunch of well manufactured girls pretending to be Fleetwood Mac. Also, check out what they were up to prior to Haim, it killed any interest I had in them stone dead.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I don't think it's possible for a band to be over-rated before even releasing an album.

It is. I heard the editor of NME on 6 music the other day describing them as the best British band since The Libertines.

I've seen them twice, the first time Savages absolutely wiped the floor with them & the second time was, if possible, even more lamentable. They stink, i can't see anyone either a) over the age of 25 or b) with a decent record collection touching them with a barge pole.

Lazy music for lazy people.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
They've been in the music press for well over a year. They've been touring for over a year now. I was amused that Florence and her management thought they were good enough to support her at the O2, and cringed throughout their entire set.

They have 7 dire songs on Soundcloud, three of which have been there for a year.

They are over-rated.

as crocks of old shit go, Florence and her machine are up there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here