Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

guy that died during G20 protests. video

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I see this Mr Tomlinson is a Millwall fanatic. Aged 47 so he would have been brought up during the great F-Troop era. Probably a bit partial to the odd scuffle with plod or am I jumping to conclusions on the basis of one line in the telegraph report. Heavin forbid!!!!

The composer Richard Strauss was a prominent German living in Berlin during the 1930's and 1940's. He MUST have been a Nazi.

Good attempt at character assasination by association though. :thumbsup: :tosser:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The composer Richard Strauss was a prominent German living in Berlin during the 1930's and 1940's. He MUST have been a Nazi.

Good attempt at character assasination by association though. :thumbsup: :tosser:

Open your eyes and read the whole post or did you miss the sarcasm deliberately?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Equally, I say it is a possibility that being in a large crowd may have raised his stress levels bringing on the heart attack.

Yeah, the large crowd or the being attacked by a policeman with a baton for no reason while your walking home.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
If I'm missing the point then so are you. Firstly, I agree that the force used by that one officer (as seen in the video) was extremely excessive. However, it is quite clear that the Police were clearing that area with a line of them walking/shepherding the protesters along. I very much suspect that 99.9% of the protestors that day did not pose a serious threat however, the Police cannot stand back and let everyone do as they like as that would give a free reign to the minority to cause whatever damage they like. It appears on this occassion that the worse they did was chuck some posts through the RBS bank window. I'm sure the employees of that bank were grateful for that!

Perhaps it would be useful if at any demonstration like this the protestors could perhaps be split into two groups and clearly identify themselves, Maybe with a tatoo on the forehead, one saying 'I'm a peaceful protestor' and the other saying 'I'm an anarchist out for trouble'. That would of course make the job easier for the police.

The Police are in an impossible situation damned if they do anything and damned if they don't. If this one officer had not used excessive force then I very much suspect the reports would have been that this had been a successful operation with minimal trouble, ie the only real conflict seems to have been outside the Bank of England and when the RBS branch was attacked.

The police has a responsibilty under law to protect the right of people to protest peacefully as well as obviously to protect innocent people from violent attack.

But of course you would know that.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Probably, but still pretty difficult to prove beyond reasonable doubt.

The bloke got pushed to the ground from behind by a police officer and within minute's collapsed with a heart attack, when a woman reporter tried to help him she got chased off by a police baton charge and when she tried to report the unconcious bloke to another police officer he showed no interest and took no details. I would say the police played a major part in his death and have a lot to answer for.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The bloke got pushed to the ground from behind by a police officer and within minute's collapsed with a heart attack, when a woman reporter tried to help him she got chased off by a police baton charge and when she tried to report the unconcious bloke to another police officer he showed no interest and took no details. I would say the police played a major part in his death and have a lot to answer for.

Now that would make good copy, a single women reporter being baton charged by a line of police.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London

I agree that it is probably the case that the attack did cause his death. However for any conviction to take place this will have to be proved BEYOND REASONABLE DOUBT which is a very high standard and I think it will be tricky to do so.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If I'm missing the point then so are you. Firstly, I agree that the force used by that one officer (as seen in the video) was extremely excessive. However, it is quite clear that the Police were clearing that area with a line of them walking/shepherding the protesters along. I very much suspect that 99.9% of the protestors that day did not pose a serious threat however, the Police cannot stand back and let everyone do as they like as that would give a free reign to the minority to cause whatever damage they like. .

I agree that in certain circumstances the police cannot just stand back as you say BUT if they wanted him out the way then bloody march him out the way. I've seen the police frog-march many a person out of a football ground over the years. Why didnt they do this? It would have been a lot more prererable and it is relatively harmless.

Next time you're in a football ground and you see supporters being asked to sit down ......... imagine that the police then wade in with battons pushing people to the floor.....then remember this thread.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
It doesnt alter much in my opinion.

Oh no, not at all. But is also says he was alcohol dependant and had an altercation earlier in the day with the police (there are pictures). The police will use all of this to explain away attacking the guy from behind.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Who'd be a policeman in the Met?

If I was in a protest zone with 10 police in riot gear walking straight towards me telling me to get out of the area I'd move pretty sharpish, doubly so if I had a medical condition.

What the hell was the guy doing dawdling along like that, hands in pockets looking the worse for wear? What the policeman did was wrong, but the newspaper seller put himself in a dangerous position.

You only have to look at footage of the miner's strike or football hooliganism in the 80s to see how the police really used to go for it. By those standards today's police are tame.

And in any other European country - where the police are armed - the bloke would have got a worse shoeing than he got.

That said, it's sad that he lost his life.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
and what's with this "violent assault"? He was pushed and fell over. If he hadn't had a heart attack that would be the end of it. I would suggest there were plenty more "violent assaults" that day and worse ones too.

Look closer. He was not pushed. He was struck hard on the back of the legs by a baton.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here