Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guy at Work who is a Cov fan seems to think Dicker is on his way there

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Not concerned , if he goes he goes, same with Bennett. With a summer to prepare then we'd replace them.

Just get us to the championship and we'll worry about it then

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I for one am worried. We are not necessarily a more attractive proposition than Coventry, despite what many rose-tinted posters may think. I can see him rejecting Coventry to stay with us, but I can also see him rejecting us and joining Coventry instead. Hope he does the former.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I for one am worried. We are not necessarily a more attractive proposition than Coventry, despite what many rose-tinted posters may think.
In all seriousness, and assuming we are promoted, how would we NOT be a more attractive proposition than Coventry to a player currently at this club?

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
I for one am worried. We are not necessarily a more attractive proposition than Coventry, despite what many rose-tinted posters may think. I can see him rejecting Coventry to stay with us, but I can also see him rejecting us and joining Coventry instead. Hope he does the former.

Can you see him rejecting both Coventry and us and becoming a Buddhist monk?

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
Come on, granny, chill a little! Which club is not going to be running the rule over players at a club who have been top of their league since September? Just better not to mention it on here.
Otherwise I could start.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I do wish that Gus and Tony would sort out contracts for those who are nearing the end of their current ones, although understand they probably want to wait until the season is finished and we know for certain which div we'll be in...

I'm not going to get drawn into this again, but would just simply ask, how do you know that we are not sorting out contracts? Nothing has been announced does not mean that negotiations are not ongoing nor does it mean that deals have not been reached. It just means that we have not been told.

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Settle down you lot....

Poyet plays down Dicker speculation From The Argus)

Albion boss Gus Poyet has played down speculation linking Gary Dicker with other clubs as agent talk.

Hull and Coventry are reportedly monitoring the Irish midfielder, who is out of contract at the end of the season.

Poyet said: "The agents haven't finished their work yet. We are in the middle of February and they are already talking about what is going to happen.

"Gary knows where we are and how important he is for the team.

"He knows sooner or later we are going to start talking about the possibility of having a longer contract.

"I don't think Gary is bothered about the situation."

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
There's something in today's Argus online - Gus says that Dicker knows what's happening and is probably looking towards a long term contract later this year.

What it looks like is that everyone has agreed (or been told) that contract deals will only be discussed once we're definitely promoted. That way it avoids any unnecessary distractions.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
What it looks like is that everyone has agreed (or been told) that contract deals will only be discussed once we're definitely promoted. That way it avoids any unnecessary distractions.

This.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
1. Salary. Could he really expect much more at Coventry to make it worth his while?
2. Length of contract. Ah true. Good point well made.
3. Play more regularly I'd think he plays enough here though - he's certainly not a fringe player, and even the most integral players like Murray are rotated
:thumbsup:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
In the summer.

Be interesting to see if this is the case or the club have just been putting feelers out for all those coming out of contract.

he also said an inquiry was made before the window closed and was rejected.

lock him in the lavvy and throw away the key

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
I do wish that Gus and Tony would sort out contracts for those who are nearing the end of their current ones, although understand they probably want to wait until the season is finished and we know for certain which div we'll be in...

On the plus side, even if we do end up losing a load of players this is the first time in ages we should have the money to bring in quality players in their place

alot of people say we should wait untill we know what league we are in. I dont get this, if were in the championship we would want dicker and if were still in league one we would want dicker.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I think the club are in a weaker position negotiating contracts at this time of year, especially if players have been tapped up by other clubs.
I think we should have extended some contracts last summer but Gus probably wanted to see if the players could consistently perform this season.
This tactic is OK if we go up as we will have money and a stadium to attract new players - but could be a problem if we fail to go up.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The Championship is remarkably even, and at the start of the season you would have said at least 14 or 15 teams would have realistic hopes of promotion. The likes of Norwich and Coventry have young, ambitious managers and are not a million miles away from where the likes of Blackpool and Burnley have been in recent seasons.

The other thing is wages. Even now, your 1st XI Albion midfielder will be on c. £5K a week, so you can understand why they'd at least consider offers to double their money. Even if things went really well for us over the next 2 years the odds are against us being Top 10 in the Championship.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here