Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus to come out of retirement for Notts County game?

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
Brighton Hove Albion - Poyet To Come Out Of Retirement

Is this serious or just another April fools joke?

Brighton manager Gus Poyet last night vowed to come out of retirement if his Brighton team reach 100 points this season before the last game of the season.

If they achieved that feet, Poyet said that he will bring himself on as a substitute for the final 10 minutes of Brighton's final game of the season at Meadow Lane, where they take on Notts County in the seasons climax.

The Seagulls are currently top of League One with 83 points, so would need to earn 17 more points from their next seven games against Rochdale, Sheffield Wednesday, Dagenham, Walsall, Southampton, Colchester and Huddersfield.

To achieve 100 points, Brighton would have to win at least 5 of those games, drawing the other two. 6 wins and a defeat is enough, but Poyet has challenged his squad to go unbeaten for the remainder of the season.

Poyet retired from football in 2004, hanging up his boots after a successful spell with Tottenham Hotspur.

Poyet would be following in the footsteps of his assist Mauricio Tarricco, who came out of retirement this season to help out the injury crisis in Brighton's defence.

Read more: Brighton Hove Albion - Poyet To Come Out Of Retirement

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Time stamped 9.50 AM, but why not,it would only be for 10 mins it would bring the house down.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
If only...imagine, Gus Poyet playing for Brighton.....I still can''t believe such a legend is managing the club, let alone playing..

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I fear that is indeed an April Fool, but I would LOVE it to be true.

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
We have had bigger stars than Poyet in charge. Mullery for one. Brady another. Coppell a third.
Good point,well made.
We've had a few 'big' names over the years. Add Jimmy Case to the list of men in charge.
If my memory serves me correctly, did Frank Stapleton not have some involvement somewhere along the line too?

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex
To clarify: I wasn't suggesting Case is bigger than Gus, I was just agreeing that we've had some big names,including Case,as well as Gus.............I think....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here