Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus thinking ahead to next season.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
A couple of points, of course Gus is planning for the future it would be bad management if he wasn't and it's great that all sides within the club are playing the "Gus Way".

My only concern is that to play the "Gus Way" it is very restrictive on who he can bring in, only players with the ability to get the ball down and play, while we have these players they are not quite up to the pace required in the Champsionship and maybe still playing Division One pace when a higher tempo is required. Great to see the Developement Squad knocking the ball about but let's be honest with little penetration.

I still think that if Gus gets the right players in in the January window we can push on this season, the Bristol game was the start where we played with a greater tempo and tried to get the ball forward quicker and kept another clean sheet. Yes Gus has a long term plan but a couple of good signings NOW and we are not far from being a good side.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I can't remember the exact thread but I do agree with him that Bozza was suggesting it was true that Poyet was turned down by Southampton and that's why he's always held a grudge against them.
They turned him down before he joined us. I thought that was common knowledge.

Not eight months into his regin here as Twatpierpoint said.

Big difference.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I can't remember the exact thread but I do agree with him that Bozza was suggesting it was true that Poyet was turned down by Southampton and that's why he's always held a grudge against them.

I remember a discussion I had with one of the more sensible Southampton fans on here. I pointed out that Adkins was almost certainly on the shortlist when Gus was appointed and it is possible this has influenced the way he feels about the Albion. This bloke said that Gus may have been in the frame at Southampton at one time, but I think that was before he got the Albion job. As far as I know, the only job Gus has lost out on was Swansea, where he was runner up when Sousa was appointed.

Going back to the main point of the thread, the OP is absolutely correct. Have we ever had a manager who is so interested in all levels of the club? The likes of McGhee and Adams may have gone to watch the stiffs occasionally, but that was the extent of the interest. The whole development side of the club seemed to be completely isolated from the first team. I was of the opinion that we needed to considerably boost the squad, but barring a massive dip in form, I think we will be safe this season, so you would have to ask what the purpose of a big splurge in this transfer window would be. Doing what the likes of Barnsley, Hull and Blackpool have done will hardly help us long-term. No two clubs are the same, obviously, but Swansea are clear role models for us. Interestingly, Turkey, Captain Haddock and I were discussing on the way back from Cardiff who we would like if Gus did move on. Brendan Rodgers was high on the list, though he looks as if he'll go on to bigger things now. The Arsenal directors can hardly have failed to notice how well Swansea played against them.

EDIT: I hadn't read Mr Burns's post before posting. The Swansea job rejection I heard about came from the horse's mouth.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here