Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus thinking ahead to next season.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Only my opinion but I think Gus is confident that the squad he has now and the problems we have had is still enough to secure a top half finish this season.

With that in mind he is thinking way ahead in terms of strengthening the squad in the summer for a bigger push next year, he is looking harder at the development squad than he is the current 1st team as next season we need to progress even further. This transfer window is not a priority.

I know he cant relax and we cant say job done but he must be confident that this seasons objectives will be met with the current 1st team. I certainly am.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Fair point, well made.

Anyone still think he's going to be off soonish? Looks to me in certain areas like he's planning 2-3 years ahead.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
He's way ahead of us narrow minded short sighted die hards.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Fair point, well made.

Anyone still think he's going to be off soonish? Looks to me in certain areas like he's planning 2-3 years ahead.

Yes and no.

He difinitely IS looking a long way ahead, but that is part of his job description to do so, whether the manager reaping the benefits in 4 years time is himself or a.n.other.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Fair point, well made.

He applied for the southampton job 8 months after joining us, so no, I don't think he will be here in 3 years time.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes and no.

He difinitely IS looking a long way ahead, but that is part of his job description to do so, whether the manager reaping the benefits in 4 years time is himself or a.n.other.

Understood, but I would argue he is looking ahead in a way far beyond any of our previous 10 managers, possibly ever. He is looking (along with Tony) at an entire restructure of the culture of the club. Not exactly an 18 month job.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm not the sort to go and find quotes, but [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] pretty much said he did in a thread a while back?

Gus has categorically stated (and I quote) "I will never apply for another job while Brighton manager".

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
This thread started off with such promise and some quite insightful comments until....................................................

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Gus has categorically stated (and I quote) "I will never apply for another job while Brighton manager".

I'm just reposting what I've heard said on here by a couple of people at one time, when did Poyet come out with that?

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
This thread started off with such promise and some quite insightful comments until....................................................

Lets try again then.

Gus thinking ahead to next season.
Only my opinion but I think Gus is confident that the squad he has now and the problems we have had is still enough to secure a top half finish this season.

With that in mind he is thinking way ahead in terms of strengthening the squad in the summer for a bigger push next year, he is looking harder at the development squad than he is the current 1st team as next season we need to progress even further. This transfer window is not a priority.

I know he cant relax and we cant say job done but he must be confident that this seasons objectives will be met with the current 1st team. I certainly am.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Fair point, well made.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
i think we will see one signing of note before the month is over, not sure what or who, but there will be one.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I agree with you Goodfella. The progress and overall standard of the DS compared to everything that has ever preceeded it looks really promising and we are clearly building from the bottom and building the right way with talented footballers ready to come through and fill the gaps when needed. We may unearth the odd gem but what it does do is leave more cash for the few big buys who might make the difference between promotion or not. Even in the glory days of the late 70's and early 80's I didn't feel this positive that the club is developing the foundations for long term sustainable success. I'm not too worried that it doesn't come this year or next or even for a few years tocome - we have a platform that I'm certain will ensure we never slip back below our current level and gives us every prospect of continuing to move upwards. Happy days :D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here