Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus staying?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I am bemused that posters on here are claiming that there are no better candidates out there for the BHA job, therefore we should stick with Gus. How the hell can you say that? There will be a queue of impressive candidates as soon as a vacany emerges.
You are clearly suggesting that either tactically, motivationally or experience-wise there is no one better out there. Well, its obvious that Gus was inferior in all these respects to Ian Holloway ( who gets unmerciless stick on NSC ) Harry Redknapp is getting slaughtered on NSC but he has years of experience at the top level and has worked with top players. The likes of Phil Neville or OGS lack experience but so did Gus when he started at BHA. How can anyone say that either of these two wouldn't hit the ground running and quickly establish themselves. My feeling is that they would.
Whoever replaces Gus has a good squad to work with. A squad that was good enough to get promoted last season. TB will be only too aware that our manager was found wanting at the crucial time. He will be asking whether Gus can take us a step further or whether there is no improvement to come in his management ability. He may be able to achieve more with better players but has he reached ' the ceiling ' with BHA.
Gus can't change his character, which is innately cautious and this ultimately will inhibit him at the highest level. It cost us last season as we racked up far too many draws. I am also concerned that he struggles to ' think outside the box ' To find that little spark of inspiration or decisive action that can turn a game. Yes, he has developed a solid game-plan and this has been the bed-rock of his success at BHA. But his rigidity of thought has proved his achilles heel and unless he can change dramatically in that respect, he won't take us any further. Gus believes implicitly in his game-plan and will stick with it. He will argue that it has got BHA to where they are. True but it won't take us any further. There will always be another, more cuter, more tactically adept out there to get the better of us.
I've admired and respected what Gus has achieved at BHA but I honestly believe that his personality ( ego, if you want ) will not allow him to mature and progress much further as a manager. That is the reason I feel we need a change and there are other candidates out there at least equally equipped or better to take us to the next level.
If we stick with Gus, I will have to accept that decision but I know in my heart of hearts that we will be settling for ongoing Championship football backed up with managerial excuses why we can't progress any further.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here