Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus, sort it out. That was another very very poor performance.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Oh shut up.

We battered them for the entire 2nd half and finally Peterborough's luck ran out. We deserved to win 4-0 or 5-0 but for some shite finishing. How is it Gus' fault that CMS was shanking easy chances? Get a grip.

We only battered them in the 2nd half because Gus finally switched up the tactics. He needs to have us starting games like that, not resorting to it when pissing around at the back turns out not to work.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
2nd example: Mid-way through the 2nd half, yet another cross comes in from Buckley, and the ball falls to CMS, in space around the penalty spot. He has some time to control the ball and get a shot away, but quite inexplicable flicks his weaker foot at the ball, which he doesn't connect with and the ball goes wide. Once again, you'd hope for those sort of chances to be put away, after all, we work very hard to make each chance.

Actually - that wasn't going to be my 2nd example - so, 3rd Example:

2nd half - we're attacking down the left, and the ball falls to Dobbie or Bridge, who fires a low shot, destined to just pass the far post. CMS tries to get a touch on it, to divert it goalwards. He doesn't, and it flies out for a goal kick. We've conceded 3 deflected goals at home this season, the most recent a potentially deliberate touch by Bechio for Leeds.

After the first one a very good chum said he snatched at it like a "league 2 striker away to a big team in the FA Cup"

For £2.5M I can and do EXPECT better. If it was Alex Revell I wouldnt have complained but a £2.5M striker I expect ALOT better and MORE composure.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I promised not to moan again on here until after the Peterborough game.
Time for another promise. How does May sound?
If it hadn't been for that last minute goal it would have been our 8th game without a win!
If it hadn't been for other teams scoring as many as us, we'd have won our last 8 games.
Little urgency in our game for most of the 90 minutes.
:laugh: :lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
All this moaning from those that don't think 8th in the league is good enough puts me in mind of Charlton and West Ham when they had both had a decent position in the Premier League and as soon as results slipped the fans hounded out Curbishley and Redknapp and both ended up getting relegated shortly afterwards.

We are improving season on season, the squad is strong and yet it's still not good enough for some of you. Be careful what you wish for, getting rid of Gus would be complete madness imo. TB is not mad though and now we have won again maybe the negative posters will start to back off? Nah there's no chance of that is there :lolol:

Criticising the team selections and performances is fine but even thinking about calling for Gus' head is ridiculous. Patience is needed.

dookieno8

Aug 20, 2012
I promised not to moan again on here until after the Peterborough game.

Well, here we are. What an awful performance against a team in the relegation zone. If it hadn't been for that last minute goal it would have been our 8th game without a win!

19 corners from which we had maybe one goal-scoring opportunity. That is truly pathetic.

Little urgency in our game for most of the 90 minutes.

Passing the ball around at the back not looking for the forward pass opportunity. Biggest culprit Mr Hammond.

Lack of awareness from too many of the players.

And Bruno man-of -the -match?? The sponsors were either drunk, stupid, or had absolutely no knowledge of the game of football. He was one of our worst players out there this evening. Poor defending for the most part, poor pass selection, poor pretty much everything.

On a positive note it was great to see Dobbie scoring. He looked good when he came on. And an excellent performance from Orlandi again. And good to see Hoskins back. Of, and I thought Dunk had a pretty good game.

I agree with pretty much all of this, thought bruno was wasteful and complacent, much like the rest of the team.

Mini fergie had them well drilled off the ball, hopeless with the ball and i think if we had a bit more urgency there would have been more success, instead, we let them keep their discipline and had to be very patient to create a few chances.

On another night, we would've scored more

I thought Orlandi flattered to deceive up until last night but he was one of the better players, Dobbie, tonight and against leeds is now growing into the shirt. Good to see.

No team has a divine right to hammer anyone in that league and last night was no exception. A win is a win and if you can win by controlling a match for 90 minutes you're heading in the right direction.

Also re the corners, what is the point in having so many corners without an idea as to what to do with them?

lump it in the box fine, but the delivery is poor and it never looks like a brighton shirt is going to get on the end of them. Get on the training ground and practice some moves, whether it is short or in the box... just utilise them!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am rather concerned about the corners as both Hammond and Crofts were good at ghosting in at the far post for corners when previously with us and with Southampton and Norwich but at the moment don't look like they have a goal in them. I think that a big lump is not the answer but a more thoughtful approach to the positioning of players and delivery for the corners is needed. Did you ever think last night that either Dunk or Greer would get on the end of a corner cos I certainly didn't.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Peterborough were terrible, we probably won't play a worse team all season. For the first half, we were every bit as bad as them. In the second half I think we played reasonably well, not brilliantly but we clearly deserved to win. Credit to our players for not resorting to hoofball even when the clock was running down, we stuck to our plan and it worked in the end. A lot of the time we were back to the bad days of CMS being totally isolated and Buckley carrying all our creative hopes, but Dobbie for the first time actually looked quite good. I thought he improved us when he came on and we started to get more men in the box. Barnes had yet another hopeless match (with the exception of some fantastic control in the build-up to the goal) and surely has to make way for Dobbie now.

I still think our problems stem from the midfield though. It's hard to find faults in the defence and we have a striker who is scoring 2 goals every 3 games, as well as a fantastic winger in Buckley, but it's not working in the middle. Hammond is just woeful, everything is sideways and backwards and watching him run is like watching the ferry leave Newhaven. Crofts has been entirely absent for the last three or four matches and is rapidly descending back towards his anonymous worst. We don't dominate games in this area like we did last season. I just can't work out what either of them are meant to bring to a team at this level. I'd rather have Navarro and Dicker.

''we dont dominate teams in this area like we did last season'' eh? this time last year that certainly wasnt happening

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
We only battered them in the 2nd half because Gus finally switched up the tactics. He needs to have us starting games like that, not resorting to it when pissing around at the back turns out not to work.

there wasnt much he changed re tactics ..so i dont see where you are coming from..the team started to show a bit more urgency..that was the difference

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Did I say anything about THIS TIME last season?

Let's face it, for the entire second half of last season our midfield was superior to the likes of Hammond, Crofts and Orlandi.

no but you didnt say anything about the END OF LAST season either and i disagree that its that superior...you dont seem to have allowed for the fact that neither of that lot have had much of a settled period in the side playing together.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Hammond has played virtually every game since we signed him hasn't he? And he still looks slow, predictable, weak and talentless. I can't believe we got rid of Navarro and (presumably) spent more money on the likes of him.

Not the other 2 though.. not that often together....as it happens i quite liked Navarro and yes i would have preferred him to hammond on performances to date (just)

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
there wasnt much he changed re tactics ..so i dont see where you are coming from..the team started to show a bit more urgency..that was the difference

He put three up front instead of letting CMS get hounded by their defensive line. Seems like a switch up to me.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I assume you'd rather we played hoofball - at least that might qualify as "urgency" in your world..

And that is the nail on the head. He doesn't understand it, and he never will. He'd rather we had a Neil Warnock in charge and got the ball up to the big man. Kick and rush. He doesn't have the intelligence to see that the English way of playing is not the best way. Teams in Europe and South America stopped playing like this in the 1960's.

If we think we're good enough for the playoffs we need to be beating teams like Posh by a lot more than one last minute goal.

Really? Are 1-0 wins not worth 3 points then? You really do come out with some utter rubbish.

As for people slating Orlandi, WTF? I thought he was the best player on the pitch. We look a much better side with him in it. We never score from corners or crosses, and I'm assuming that's why Gus brought him in. It will take time, but he should improve us massively in that area.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Double post.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Are you judging his performance on corners alone then?

Btw. We have been completely unimaginative on set pieces LONG before Orlandi. That is a coaching issue. Our set up for corners is obvious and clumpy at best. NO late runners and NO split positioning what so ever. Just a bunch of players within 5 yards trying to head the ball. Orlandi needs to be able to work with better than that at corners. It's not just a height thing.

When the corner doesn't beat the first defender it's just a bad corner.

Take your point he did other things in the game other than just awful corners tho.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
We've had one poor performance this season and that was Blackpool away, every other league game we've made enough chances but not been clinical enough. Missings chances != poor performance

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here