Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus...sign it please

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Lets be honest, all this has come from the fact that we announced that contract negotiations were ongoing despite being miles from the end.

I'm a firm believer in just announcing when it has been done. Its a nice surprise and saves about 30 threads of panic on NSC.

In this case, I'm extremely confident Gus will stay. Just waiting for the announcementt

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Why the big panic he has a contract till this time next year anyway. A new contract just means more compo if he does leave

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
hanging on to replace hodgson at fulham.

they're just about a top eight side...........

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Why the big panic he has a contract till this time next year anyway. A new contract just means more compo if he does leave

Yeah it makes no bloody difference if he signs or not. If someone comes in for him and he wants to go he is gone contract or not. As you say, all it ensures us is more compensation.

Jan 31, 2009
Hopefully he will sign within the next few days. The fact that the odds of him becoming next Portsmouth manager have tightened up a little (now 7/2 2nd favourite) just gets the nerve ends jangling a bit.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Yeah it makes no bloody difference if he signs or not. If someone comes in for him and he wants to go he is gone contract or not. As you say, all it ensures us is more compensation.

I was going to say exactly that. Is makes very little difference, signature or not. Gus has already said he would like to manage at a higher level, so there is no doubt he would walk if the right offer came in, so, as much as he might like it here, there is no real loyalty - and I for one don't expect there to be, he would be slagged off soon enough on here if we started losing regularly.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Hopefully he will sign within the next few days. The fact that the odds of him becoming next Portsmouth manager have tightened up a little (now 7/2 2nd favourite) just gets the nerve ends jangling a bit.

Does anyone really think he would take the Portsmouth job? They are on their way down. There must be a fair chance of them being on minus points at the start of next season. He would be mad to go there as we will probably be playing them (or even in the league above them) by the first season at Falmer.

The over reaction to the lack of signings and Poyet not signing is ridiculous. Yes, some managers have got a number of signings in e.g. Leyton Orient (but looking at them I don't think we would want any of the players they have signed) but many clubs have not bought anyone yet. Lets just trust Poyet and Bloom (this is their first pre season as manager/chairman after all) to bring the right players in and not slag off any of the new signings (when they do come) until they have played for a while.

For once, I think the attitude on here is generally quite sensible but there are a few idiots who feel the need to inflict their irrational views on the rest of us every few days if Poyet doesn't sign his contract or we don't sign anyone and it is getting boring.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The Gus signing situation is becoming a joke now and I wouldn't blame Bloom for withdrawing the contract, as has been stated earlier.
I do not like the idea of being held to ransom and I don't think Bloom does either.
It will be sorted one way or the other, Gus has made a good impact for the short time he hes been here and it would be interesting what impact he may have over a whole season.
But this indecision must be unsettling to the club and staff as no one knows the outcome and we don't want it dragged out till one week before pre-season.
So sign or don't sign just make the decision soon so that all can move on.

Oh please shut up.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Didn't realise he had a year left:shrug:
What the fu$k is everyone whinging about for then:censored:

Wether its 1 year or 4 years it makes f-all diffrence if someone wants out:US:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I think that the time to worry is this time in 12 moinths if he hasnt signed and is then up for grabs assuming we have had a good season.

Ordinarily I would agree. But with both parties saying it's just a formality then I would be pretty worried if in 12 months time he still hadn't committed to the club.

Wether its 1 year or 4 years it makes f-all diffrence if someone wants out:US:

Agreed. But the longer the time remaining then the more compensation we would get. Of course it could backfire and if Gus turned out to be shit then we would have to pay a lot to get rid!!

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Ordinarily I would agree. But with both parties saying it's just a formality then I would be pretty worried if in 12 months time he still hadn't committed to the club.

Agreed. But the longer the time remaining then the more compensation we would get. Of course it could backfire and if Gus turned out to be shit then we would have to pay a lot to get rid!!
For a club going forward like ourselves do you really think compensation is such a big issue?:tantrum:

O wait if gus leave we can clain 150k compensation whoopy doopy doooooooooo:wozza:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
For a club going forward like ourselves do you really think compensation is such a big issue?:tantrum:

O wait if gus leave we can clain 150k compensation whoopy doopy doooooooooo:wozza:

I share your optimism as I have invested in a 1901 club seat. :thumbsup:

I think compensation would be a little more than £150,000 though :wink:

Seeing as Norwich have had to pay Colchester the best part of half a million for nicking their manager I think we could ask for similar, depending on the circumstances and time left. But I hope Gus stays and takes us into the Premiership. :)

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
When will people learn that there is very little loyalty left in this game anymore and that the dollar dictates, after all it's business.
If a Premiership/Championship club came for Gus with a stupid offer I would expect him to take it, so would I in his position.
Make hay while the sun shines etc.
But I think it would be taking an awfully big risk seeing as he only has a few months experience as a coach on an individual basis.
Clubs higher up the leagues tend to go for more experience and Gus is probably using the rumours in negotiations to get the best deal possible.
Don't confuse being good at your job wth being loyal to the club.
As the song goes 'I could be wrong......I could be right.'
Some on here could do with losing the tinted lenses and getting a reality check.

Nappy thrower

Banned
Dec 17, 2009
Floor above Bushy
When will people learn that there is very little loyalty left in this game anymore and that the dollar dictates, after all it's business.
If a Premiership/Championship club came for Gus with a stupid offer I would expect him to take it, so would I in his position.
But I think it would be taking an awfully big risk seeing as he only has a few months experience as a coach on an individual basis.
Clubs higher up the leagues tend to go for more experience and Gus is probably using the rumours in negotiations to get the best deal possible.
Some on here could do with losing the tinted lenses and getting a reality check.
I can see what you are saying but it's all about compo.If Gus is tied down to a long contract then that will put alot of clubs off.As for lack of experience,one only has to look at the improvements we have made under him.You can tell he is hungry for success and i'm confident he has all the hallmarks of going onto better things.We really do have a gem of a manager Mike.You cannot see the impact he has made on the pitch as you live in Oz chap.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

I don't think anyone is saying that Gus won't go if a big club come in for him. However, I imagine a lot of people (including me) are getting bored of the constant negativity by some posters on here e.g. you and Steve Foster. Why not just wait and see what happens rather than moaning that we haven't signed players or Gus hasn't signed his new deal.

Also, as said earlier on this thread, you comparing the Poyet situation to the Calderon one is ridiculous.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Well, may I suggest the delay in Gus signing is (a) getting worrying, and (b) probably starting to slow down player-in deals... what is the problem? It has allegedly been a formality for weeks now...

I can see what you are saying but it's all about compo.If Gus is tied down to a long contract then that will put alot of clubs off..

Rubbish.

We've put players on really long contracts (Steve Foster signed a ten year deal). He was sold to Villa after less than 2

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here