Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus SAVES Sunderland

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It's funny how it's perfectly OK for fans to say things like that after a crushing defeat, but when the manager says it the poor sensitive fans all throw a hissy fit. How many people on the way home from the Palace game ranted that "we just aren't good enough", "Bloom needs to put his hand in his pocket next season or we'll never go up", "this was our chance, we're not going to be able to do it next year with FFP" etc? Because I know I did.

Don't get me wrong, Gus shouldn't have said all that because he should be more professional than say what he was really thinking, but it always amazes me how angry fans get when the manager speaks their mind. Especially when they then moan when the next manager gives nothing away in his interviews and is 'boring'. There's a reason why football is full of dull cliches and boring, media-trained monotonous interviews, and why their is a lack of real characters in the game these days. It's because the fans want it that way.

Absolutely right.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Don't get me wrong, Gus shouldn't have said all that because he should be more professional than say what he was really thinking, but it always amazes me how angry fans get when the manager speaks their mind. Especially when they then moan when the next manager gives nothing away in his interviews and is 'boring'. There's a reason why football is full of dull cliches and boring, media-trained monotonous interviews, and why their is a lack of real characters in the game these days. It's because the fans want it that way.

I'd suggest most Brighton fans are quite happy to have a manager that you are tarnishing as "boring" and don't moan at all. I feel there is a fairly vociferous minority here preferring over the top histrionics to calm considered management because it is more interesting. The lack of "I" and "me"and veiled threats in pre and after match interviews from Oscar is quite refreshing to me.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It's funny how it's perfectly OK for fans to say things like that after a crushing defeat, but when the manager says it the poor sensitive fans all throw a hissy fit. How many people on the way home from the Palace game ranted that "we just aren't good enough", "Bloom needs to put his hand in his pocket next season or we'll never go up", "this was our chance, we're not going to be able to do it next year with FFP" etc? Because I know I did.

Cobblers.

The reason we as fans had a "hissy fit" over that particular interview wasn't because he was speaking his mind. It was because at a time when we'd just suffered a devastating defeat at home to our bitterest rivals in probably the worst POSSIBLE circumstances, Gus decided it was all about him. All about HIS career, what was HIS next move. Stuff you lot, you're not big enough for Gus Poyet, I've done all I can, this club is now as big as its ever going to get, so I need to move on now for the sake MY career. Cheerio.

Yeah cheers Gus. Thats just what we all wanted to hear after that f-ing catastrophe tonight. Long as you're alright eh.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Given his touting last season do you really think that there is any chance he would have seen the season out as BHA manager? I don't deny his abilities as a team coach but we are much too insignificant to hold the interest of a high flyer like Gus. He was not going to stick around a minute longer than he had to once a bigger club showed real interest. Some of you are very forgiving of the shitfest he caused here and his constant references to managing bigger clubs.

We were good, possibly great, for each other but Poyet was always looking at the next step up the rung. I have no problem with that, only the way he went about it.

Exactly.
Engaging in talks with Reading, whilst our season was at its sharp end and using those talks to hold our club to ransom, whilst failing to prepare properly for one of our biggest games for years and ultimately, costing us the chance of millions, hardly endears himself to me.
As stated, some fans seem incredibly forgiving and appear to regard the last few weeks of his tenure as a small blip on the scale of things. To me, he tarnished a lot of what had gone before and a lot of it was very good.
Most people are ambitious in life but Gus lets his ego run away with him and when our situation called for a bit of dignity to be shown, he singularly failed in all respects. He put himself first and the club second and in my book that is unforgiveable.
He has done well at Sunderland and I wish them well together, for as long as it lasts.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Given his touting last season do you really think that there is any chance he would have seen the season out as BHA manager? I don't deny his abilities as a team coach but we are much too insignificant to hold the interest of a high flyer like Gus. He was not going to stick around a minute longer than he had to once a bigger club showed real interest. Some of you are very forgiving of the shitfest he caused here and his constant references to managing bigger clubs.

We were good, possibly great, for each other but Poyet was always looking at the next step up the rung. I have no problem with that, only the way he went about it.

Pretty much every word of this. Given that Gus clearly wanted out, I still can't understand why he didn't keep his head down and not get himself into the situation where he's gets sacked for Gross Misconduct. Surely it's not that hard? Had he done so, and we got into a decent start at the beginning of the seasons, one of the PL teams that sacked their manager would have been in for Gus like a shot. And he would have gone faster than that.

Maybe he's learned from his mistakes (if you believe that's what they were), because, unless I'm mistaken, he's been less outspoken and there have been fewer comments about managing different clubs since arriving in the North East. (Apart from the almost saying he was going to leave, at the same time as saying they needed a miracle - I forgot about that bit).

I wish him well - it all ended rather badly down here, but there is no denying he left his mark on our club, and for that I am thankful.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

Like I said it was "at that moment". On the drive home I was pissed off with losing to them. But I still thought 4th was fantastic finish, I wasn't angry with the team or the Gus during the drive home, I was hoping that he would stay and we could build on what we had achieved. But that me me me interview completely pissed me off.

Then what TB said with that phone call just before the first Palace home game, and trying to make the club look bad with pretending on TV that he did I not know he had been sacked rubbish. Now I could not give a toss whether he succeeds or fails.

What ever happens over the next two games I can guarantee you that Oscar will behave with more class and dignity then Gus could ever imagine and I am really looking forward to next season what ever division we are in.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was glad to see Gus save them as I believe that he is a good manager in the making. One concern for him though in watching MOTD was seeing Liam Bridcutt, when he came on, wandering around as if he was lost and not sure where he shoukd be or what he should be doing. Waiting to see who he signs in the summer because a number of that team are out of contract.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008

Because he was employed by the club. The fans pay money to support the club, that's why.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I was glad to see Gus save them as I believe that he is a good manager in the making. One concern for him though in watching MOTD was seeing Liam Bridcutt, when he came on, wandering around as if he was lost and not sure where he shoukd be or what he should be doing. Waiting to see who he signs in the summer because a number of that team are out of contract.

Gus is going to make him captain.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Yep. I remember that. After the most gut retching feeling losing that match, spending ages getting home after being diverted on the A23. I thought I would listen to the post interview from Gus, looking for something positive about how we would regroup go again etc.. But all we got was the above. At that moment I really ******* hated him. I have mellowed some what since and I can see the good he did. But I would never want him near our club again.

While I can see you not get at all annoyed when we lose after playing awfully and our current manager says we played really well but were unlucky not to score. is that not a manager refusing to accept his faults or errors and blame shifting?

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace
He did well to turn around a train-wreck, but the quality of squad should have delivered another 20 points. They have underachieved bigtime.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
While I can see you not get at all annoyed when we lose after playing awfully and our current manager says we played really well but were unlucky not to score. is that not a manager refusing to accept his faults or errors and blame shifting?

I may get annoyed by the way we have played if we lost. But I don't rant and think the whole team is rubbish and the manager should be sake every time it happens. I do how ever expect the manager of brighton to understand what certain games might mean to us, and show bit of respect to the fans and his employers, at least in public. I don't expect undying loyalty , declare their love for the club or pretend to be a fan. Just not to act like a selfish knob, when we were feeling at our worst.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Sunderland have seemed to really pick up form whilst Bridcutt hasn't been playing.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Gus has done a terrific job at Sunderland and made a mark as a top manager for the future.
He was obviously made aware of the lack of cash here to build a promotion side and after loosing £15 million Mr Bloom had to make cuts, closure of the Albion shop and reductions in staff, Gus took a big risk and it has paid off,good luck to him.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Big statement but I reckon we would have been automatically promoted if we'd kept him.

I think so, too. We should have done it last season really... and would have done if we'd had Ulloa from the start. How many games did we dominate, particularly in the autumn, without actually winning...?

The jury's out on Oscar for me. Yes, he's had problems with injuries (Crofts particularly) and we lost Bridcutt, so you could argue he did well getting us in to the play-offs. But the style of football has been a major, major disappointment. The flair has gone and we seem reluctant to attack. I'm not convinced he's the man to take us to a higher level.

Ravids

Jun 19, 2013
Fishersgate Maritime Village
I think so, too. We should have done it last season really... and would have done if we'd had Ulloa from the start. How many games did we dominate, particularly in the autumn, without actually winning...?

The jury's out on Oscar for me. Yes, he's had problems with injuries (Crofts particularly) and we lost Bridcutt, so you could argue he did well getting us in to the play-offs. But the style of football has been a major, major disappointment. The flair has gone and we seem reluctant to attack. I'm not convinced he's the man to take us to a higher level.

Agree with this, but who is the man to do it?

We need a big clear out in the summer to make way for some FLAIR attacking blood. Apart from Lua Lua and Ulloa nobody seems to be too interested in having a go at goal. I still can't quite believe we secured a play off place to be honest! Glad it's all over now though that we can simply just focus and prepare for next season. Some big decisions to be made in July. I can think of 4 or 5 players off the top of my head who need to go and if I thought harder I could probably add another 2 or 3.

I just really wanna be in prem so bad, we've come in touching distance for two consecutive years now, getting fed up of being dumped out of the play offs!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here