Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet's contract.

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
Sign him up for another year for sure. Let him know we want him here. He's made clear improvements and I've never felt so confident about the immediate prgression of the team next year.

kevinputtick

Mar 24, 2010
Addlestone, Surrey
progression under gus

there has definatley been an improvement under Gus, went to two games in a row away from home, the walsall one, then villa, and there was improvement in those two games, sure the players will get themselves up for the cup game, but the style of play is better, the standard of players coming through the door is better, just a few players here/there and a contract of another year for Gus will mean a journey into Falmer will be well deserved for Gus and the team!

SEAGULLS!!!

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
I completely understand that arguments against a new contract in light of the Adams/ Slade situation and it all going tits up, especially with Slade, as soon as they were given money and stability.

To be honest though I think that with Gus we are on a whole new level. There is not doubt from what I have seen that he has the potential to take us into the Championship and keep us there with the aid of a new stadium and competitive funds, because:

a) He has got the team playing the best football we have seen in several years.
b) He doesn't take any crap, including bad attitudes, from the players and they all know where they stand.
c) His signings have been astronomically better, in the main, than those of Slade and Adams.
d) He's a top bloke!

Sign him up!

Totally agree.

And e) he has got a lot more out of the previously un/less-rated members of the squad so man management and training have both improved hugely....about time too!!!

Sign him up!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Extend his contract into Falmer, my big worry is someone will poach him just before we go to Falmer, he'll take some of 'his players' (e.g. Calderon) and our first season will be one rebuilding under a new manager, I think it's important to have that extra stability going into Falmer

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
It only makes a difference to the compensation we will get if he ever goes. He is going to do well for us next season and he had full backing of an ambitious chairman. If a prem team come in he may well go, but that will be true if he has a long contract or not. Tony is not going to replace him unless Gus wants to go

dje shoreham

Nov 2, 2009
i think decision to extend can reasonably be taken at end of season. I cant believe he would go to a championship side and i dont think a premiership club would sign him up based on what he has done so far

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
He has been promised a contract if he gets us promoted next season. On our current form that shouldn't be a problem.

Lets wait and see how next year goes, he lives in close enough and doesn't seem to want to move so the job is handy for him, he also knows we are a club with money and new stadium on its way so would be an idea to ride the wave of success for a while.

He wants to be here for Falmer and if he has the sort of season that the teams performances are suggesting we will have then we will get promoted and he will get an extention.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Honestly a contract is pretty worthless anyway, if someone wants him they will come in for him whatever. If he wants to extend it then fine but no rush

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Oh yes it will be. We got good money in compo from Leicester when Adams left (first time) and Reading when Coppell left.

Agreed.

I put that badly,didn't I ?

What I meant was that whatever contract we put him on will not tie Mr P to the club,rather like the others you mention.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We should give him an extention but with a massive buy-out clause so that when someone does come in for him we get some reward

Albionblogger

Mar 23, 2010
If we give him a new contract now, surely he is more likely to bring in players that he can see a future for. With Forster not getting any younger and Murray bound to find a championship side somewhere along the line, we need to breathe some younger talent into the side. AND... As it stands, we have been playing some fantastic football as of late and Poyet has a quality I haven't seen in managers recently. His buying and loans have been sensible, give him a new contract and watch the squad settle.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here