Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet's blue & white army - East Stand version

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Keep going fellas. We tried to get it going in the WSU but it didn't really take off. If all the stands did it, it could sound great, apologies for using Pompey as an example:

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
I was right at the back of the stand these guys were in. I was joining in. Will be back there for coventry. Could have named the blocks G and H withdean it was desperate trying to get singing going saturday.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Sing what we like , Sing what we like , we are the East stand we'll sing what we like . Gus Poyet's Blue and White Army Atb The judge and the Few !!!

I like the idea of an East Stand identity and from now on will not sing "east stand brighton boys", that just gets munged with the west stand, but "sing what we like" instead. There's no one else in the immediate vacinity that sings much of the time anyway so I won't be any more or less of a knob. It will make me happy.

Oh, and I'll listen out for GPBAWA (as if we need another acronym) and join in.

Come on F/G/H!

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
I think songs and singing come as a result of the moment; the spark of emotion that inspires one to burst into a tribal call to arms and celebration.

Perhaps people in the East Stand were too busy watching the game, or discussing it with the person next to them? Just a thought.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
I think songs and singing come as a result of the moment; the spark of emotion that inspires one to burst into a tribal call to arms and celebration.

Perhaps people in the East Stand were too busy watching the game, or discussing it with the person next to them? Just a thought.

I think that is true when you are speaking about certain types of fan (as far as you can categorise any individual) but in the area of the east stand that I sit there are alot more reserved people that need to be encouraged by people around them. Round these parts, when you have one person spontaineously chant then all you get is people averting their gaze as if you were loudly shouting biblical damnations wearing only a sock on your knob in the middle of Churchill Square. The same people will jump to their feet at a goal (your bursting into a tribal celebration), shout their disapproval at a bad decision by the ref, encourage individual players when play is close by and sing/chant when enough people around them are singing/chanting and they don't feel that their neighbours are going to think they are some kind of freak. It's psychology, it's a herd mentality.

Also, I don't know what it's like in other parts of the ground, but there seems to be quite a high turnover of different people each game and they need to be encouraged by simple chants - SBTS is not sung by many people round me for example - give 'em Alllllbion, Alllllbion and they are away IF enough people around them (and across the whole ground) are singing it.

We just need to have enough people prepared to sing out when few around them are to get things going.

One side point is that many of the people in the east stand will have chosen it specifically as it is meant to be the "respect" stand, with the family section at one end, and a zero tolerance attitude to certain behaviour enforced. My experience is that some are more than happy to hand out unilateral abuse to the opposing fans or players yet not prepared to chant or sing - which I find very odd. More specifically however, it also means that some of the fans in this part of the ground are looking for a different atmosphere, perhaps one where singing and chanting is not high on the agenda. I would bet money though that even your most reserved of fans loves it when there is a rocking (albeit less agressive) atmosphere and would not swap it for the world.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
I think that is true when you are speaking about certain types of fan (as far as you can categorise any individual) but in the area of the east stand that I sit there are alot more reserved people that need to be encouraged by people around them. Round these parts, when you have one person spontaineously chant then all you get is people averting their gaze as if you were loudly shouting biblical damnations wearing only a sock on your knob in the middle of Churchill Square. The same people will jump to their feet at a goal (your bursting into a tribal celebration), shout their disapproval at a bad decision by the ref, encourage individual players when play is close by and sing/chant when enough people around them are singing/chanting and they don't feel that their neighbours are going to think they are some kind of freak. It's psychology, it's a herd mentality.

Also, I don't know what it's like in other parts of the ground, but there seems to be quite a high turnover of different people each game and they need to be encouraged by simple chants - SBTS is not sung by many people round me for example - give 'em Alllllbion, Alllllbion and they are away IF enough people around them (and across the whole ground) are singing it.

We just need to have enough people prepared to sing out when few around them are to get things going.

One side point is that many of the people in the east stand will have chosen it specifically as it is meant to be the "respect" stand, with the family section at one end, and a zero tolerance attitude to certain behaviour enforced. My experience is that some are more than happy to hand out unilateral abuse to the opposing fans or players yet not prepared to chant or sing - which I find very odd. More specifically however, it also means that some of the fans in this part of the ground are looking for a different atmosphere, perhaps one where singing and chanting is not high on the agenda. I would bet money though that even your most reserved of fans loves it when there is a rocking (albeit less agressive) atmosphere and would not swap it for the world.

Yeah, I take your point. I think the singing comes naturally when there is something to get excited about. With the best will in the world, and I'd like to think I'm not one of the pessimists, it hasn't been that exciting watching the team recently. It's been tense & exasperating; not conducive to a spontaneous burst of singing. During the heady days of last season, it felt much more natural bursting into song; even if it is that old perennial 'Allllbion'. At least it comes naturally. That said, the 'Elliott Bennett Runs Down The Wing For Me' song at Brentford was pretty good. God, I miss him. :facepalm:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
we sing what we like , we sing what we like , we are the East stand we'll sing what we like

Weren't you in A/B block first half, probably about row N or something? I was a bit further back and joined in, I think the above would be brilliant.

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
I was sitting in the family stand and me and the other dads were well impressed judge. Our kids loved it, now we have just got to work on getting them to join in....... Sit where you like, you sit where you like, you're the judge and jury, you sit where you like!!

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
I love the irony of this emerging thought that "we'll sing what we like" could be east stand's signature chant

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
i was sat with Tracy yesterday and also try ed to join in but i think the row in front of us where dead they never made a sound or moved all game till ten Min's to go then they disappeared

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I love the irony of this emerging thought that "we'll sing what we like" could be east stand's signature chant

that's what would make it brilliant if it got going. I can already see the blank faces of astonishment looking over from the North Stand wondering what the hell is going on in the East...

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
that's what would make it brilliant if it got going. I can already see the blank faces of astonishment looking over from the North Stand wondering what the hell is going on in the East...

Two and half weeks before it can be actioned (the U19 game excepted but I can't go). On the one hand I can't wait, on the other it gives us time to build a buzz. Is this the formation of a ESK? Just no song sheets please.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Two and half weeks before it can be actioned (the U19 game excepted but I can't go). On the one hand I can't wait, on the other it gives us time to build a buzz. Is this the formation of a ESK? Just no song sheets please.

a song sheet for 'we sing what we like' would surely be the ultimate irony!

paul381

Apr 22, 2008
great to read positive feed back could we all really get this going we the blue & white army will be in the concourse from about 2 by calderons half spain half brighton shirt come and introduce yourselves maybe we could get a load of us to get it going before the game people might feel they can build their confidence up in a big group so we can bang it out when we take our seats :bigwave::drink:

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
I'm in East family K with daughter, we both joined in on Sunday but not many others did. Full credit for your persistance in trying to get everyone else joining in and keeping it going, I did find it funny when the North started the "you only know one song" chant, but if you and others are prepared to try to get the atmosphere going in the East, me and daughter will continue to sing along.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here