Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I am 100% pro Gus Poyet but he got his substitutions totally wrong today not one of them improved the team in fact every one weakened the side and why having had Greg Halford booked did he not tell the team to get the ball wide to Buckley and attack Halford.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I disagree in part. I thought Lua Lua coming on was blindingly obvious as was Barnes. The only one I thought odd was Bridcutt coming off when Crofts (who'd had a good game) had run out of steam.

As for not targeting Halford, we were targeting him but we looked a bit heavy legged in the second half, esoecially after the torrential rain.

It was finishing that let us down today, not Gus' substitutions.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I disagree in part. I thought Lua Lua coming on was blindingly obvious as was Barnes. The only one I thought odd was Bridcutt coming off when Crofts (who'd had a good game) had run out of steam.

As for not targeting Halford, we were targeting him but we looked a bit heavy legged in the second half, esoecially after the torrential rain.

Yep this

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Did either of them do anything constructive simple answer No. Barnes did absolutley nothing and Lua Lua didnt go past his man once.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Note to others - this is not a Gus can't go wrong post - I didn't even go.

He can make switches, but he can't guarantee the player is going to perform to their very best. He would have 'got it right' if [insert name] had played a blinder and won us the game.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Did either of them do anything constructive simple answer No. Barnes did absolutley nothing and Lua Lua didnt go past his man once.

Barnes shored up a midfield that was being overrun at that stage. Is that constructive? Yes.

Lua Lua put in the only decent corners we had and was the only player to test their 'keeper. Is that constructive? Yes.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Barnes shored up a midfield that was being overrun at that stage. Is that constructive? Yes.

Lua Lua put in the only decent corners we had and was the only player to test their 'keeper. Is that constructive? Yes.

Sorry I disagree we didn't look any better when Barnes came on and Lua Lua is there to go past players which he didn't do once. Should have just replaced Lopez with Hammond after 10 mins of the 2nd half and the job would have been done and he would have achieved more.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Note to others - this is not a Gus can't go wrong post - I didn't even go.

He can make switches, but he can't guarantee the player is going to perform to their very best. He would have 'got it right' if [insert name] had played a blinder and won us the game.

Exactly....last week Lua Lua comes on and scores...some weeks it works some it doesnt...but it was obvious that Lopez was drifting out of the game and needed to com off

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Sorry I disagree we didn't look any better when Barnes came on and Lua Lua is there to go past players which he didn't do once. Should have just replaced Lopez with Hammond after 10 mins of the 2nd half and the job would have been done and he would have achieved more.

''We would of achieved more'' who says? It never happened so that's pure guesswork ..u pissed?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
No it is an opinon and feel sure that nobody could have been worse than our substitute today, who IMHO offered nothing to suport the suggestion they should be in the side to start

Well that could b the same for any player...they have the ability ..both subs were reasonable ...u state Lua Lua didn't beat his man..but that was up to him to do ...last week he came on and scored...can't c what your problem is

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That is my point I think that yesterday Gus got it wrong as Forest were there for the taking. Credit to Sean O'Driscoll who is not in my list of favorite managers but he got the half time analyses spot on and then the substitutions by bringing on Lansbury and we didn't counter it well enough with our subs.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
That is my point I think that yesterday Gus got it wrong as Forest were there for the taking. Credit to Sean O'Driscoll who is not in my list of favorite managers but he got the half time analyses spot on and then the substitutions by bringing on Lansbury and we didn't counter it well enough with our subs.

So, out of interest, what would you have done?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

I agree with this and your observation about getting the ball to Buckley with Halford on a booking, but actually felt we improved again towards the end following the introduction of Barnes.

Lopez faded badly and we basically had lost the midfield, once Barnes came on it seemed to give us more impetus.

We are a very small and physically 'light' team in what is a physical division.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So, out of interest, what would you have done?

I think that Gus may have made a mistake with the subs if Dicker was available as I would have had him in the squad instead of Harley. Out of what was available I would have bought Harley or Dobbie on for Lopez who had a good first half but was totally anonymous in the 2nd half. Failing that I would have shut up shop to combat Lansbury's affect and brought on Hammond for Lopez and relied on constant attacking pressure bringing a goal. The big mistake Gus made was taking Hoskins off as he was the only person looking likely to score.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
I think that Gus may have made a mistake with the subs if Dicker was available as I would have had him in the squad instead of Harley. Out of what was available I would have bought Harley or Dobbie on for Lopez who had a good first half but was totally anonymous in the 2nd half. Failing that I would have shut up shop to combat Lansbury's affect and brought on Hammond for Lopez and relied on constant attacking pressure bringing a goal. The big mistake Gus made was taking Hoskins off as he was the only person looking likely to score.

So you would have 2 similar players on the bench in Dicker and Hammond instead of another attacking player in Harley (who admittedly wouldnt of came on anyway). Barnes was brought on to support the midfield - which he did. Hoskins couldnt hit a barndoor yesterday - so it was only right LuaLua was brought on - remember what he did as a sub last week ?

No idea why Bridcutt was taken off for Hammond, unless its because Gus wanted a bit more height on the pitch - no idea really. The subs didnt let us down - the finishing did.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

Bring Harley on? WTF! Can't agree about Hoskins, he was in position and missed at least 3 good opportunities, and one ridiculous acrobatic feet 5' off the ground thing when a simple nod in would have done. Can't see much wrong with what Gus did, just not our day (again)

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The finishing from both teams was woeful and that is why they are where they are in the league.
The game was crying out for a substitution early in the second half. Lopez had run out of gas and the crowd had seen enough of his appalling set pieces and lightweight style. But no, as usual, Gus' caution kicks in and he lets the game drift to 70 minutes before making a change. Forget the arms akimbo appealing to the crowd and the " I've told them what to do but they're not doing it " expression on his face. Forget the slagging off of our keeper for taking too long over a goal-kick, in public view of all nearby in WSL.
Just be pro-active for once. Just make a quick, early, decisive substitution for once, instead of letting game after game drift deep into the second half before being forced to do something. Stop settling for a point. Be brave and go for the win. We shouldn't be sitting deep at home ,protecting a point and inviting the opposition on to us.
You have had plenty of time to address the striker issue. Well? How long have the fans got to put up with game after game where hosts of chances are squandered.
The Bridcutt substitution was ridiculous and the player was clearly unhappy about it. He is our most consistent player and deserved to see the game out.
Poyet has made far too many mistakes this season for comfort and is being outsmarted by others at this level. Like his team, he needs to sharpen up his game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here