Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
imagesCA2SP2EV.jpg
Sometimes Gus can be a silly sausage. But I can not think of another manager that could have changed the club from the poor position we were in, to the flair team we are today and get the players that we getting in.

I could not of dreamed of what has happened in the last three years, and I am so excited about next season.

If we can continue to get behind Gus and the team no matter what happens, I think it is going to be great season. :rave:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was at Barnsley and saw him go.
Maybe he didn't go far, because he says he didn't go (in one of the two games). He could be lying, but I doubt it.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
people criticise his south american temperament, but i personally love it. He's so much more interesting to watch than so many other dull managers who can only talk in footballing cliché

his personality is the reason why he can attract such quality players. He's charismatic, passionate and truly knowledgeable about the game. It really irritates me when people start calling him names when he does something inappropriate such as the tantrums and leaving early - he does these things purely out of passion and being a bad loser (as all the best managers are)

this !

minnieme

Sep 10, 2006
Brighton
Rightly, he gets a monstrous amount of praise on this forum and in general but thought I'd add some more:

So far the signings we have made have been astonishing. Sure, Bloom has invested but the Gus Factor is what contributes the final part of the negotiations. A while ago I posted on a thread saying that if Gus went, I'd be devastated but we'd be in a great position to get in another top quality manager. I still think its the case but I honestly don't think any other manager at this level, coming to this club, would have managed to get players like Bruno, Bridge, Kojak and Vicente.

Yes, he's had money and the new stadium but he's the X Factor at this club that brings in the names.

In short, for all his tantrums, odd racist support and leaving 5 mins early, we have the best manager for the club right now and the most exciting and player enticing manager in the Championship.
This :thumbsup:

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I was a bit sceptical at his appointment when it was first announced I must say, but he became an instant hero after that trip to St. Mary's in my eyes.
Incredible appointment by the board, and Gus deserves infinite amounts of credit for what he has done here so far; turning us from relegation battlers to Championship contenders two years.
If he gets us to the Premier League he will truly be up there with the likes of Peter Ward, DK and Mr Bloom in terms of eternal legendary status at this club :bowdown:

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
He's revolutionised the club from the grassroots upwards. Well done that man!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
He's revolutionised the club from the grassroots upwards. Well done that man!

That is what I love about Gus most. He hasn't just brought in players to the first team, he started the development squad and has changed the way that all our youth sides play so we will get much more technical players in the future. He has done an amazing job. As said earlier, even this time last year who would have thought we would be signing Kuszczak, Bridge, Vicente and Bruno (I know he isn't that well known over here but has obviously played a lot for Valencia) and looking at further additions.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
looking at further additions.
So, he said he wanted a midfielder and a forward, and would be open to more if something good came up. Now that Vicente is returning, is it just a striker, or is Gus still after a midfielder?

misterspatch

Oct 16, 2011
Horsham
So, he said he wanted a midfielder and a forward, and would be open to more if something good came up. Now that Vicente is returning, is it just a striker, or is Gus still after a midfielder?

He's still wanting to sign a midfielder as from the start he said he would make 5 signings and Vicente was not an issue back then.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

I assume we still want at least two more. A central midfield partner for Bridcutt and a strike partner for CMS. If we can get rid of a few fringe players, then we might even get more.

To be honest, I have given up predicting this summer after what has happened so far.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Gus is great, no doubt, but he will probably be off as soon as the first decent offer comes along, or will he, maybe he is here for the long haul, i certainly hope so, but my admiration goes to Tony Bloom and the board, a gamble that paid off big time, they knew that if it worked out the effect Gus would have on this club.Bloom and co are a class act. I have a feeling that Gus and Tony have sat down with a 5 year plan and he wants to lead out the team in the premiership knowing that it was all his work , i just think he is that type of guy. One things for sure he is going nowhere soon. I may of course be totally wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here