Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet

broadwaterseagull

Mar 20, 2010
worthing
i think gus has got to be the best manger looking at the team they was and the way he has got them playing who would have thought that players like el ab elphick used to just kick the ball out of defence but now pass the ball and play nice football

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
Lucky Gannon turned us down, in retrospect...

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Gus has already surpassed any other Albion manager as far as I am concerned.

I have NEVER seen a manager come in and utterly transform the way a squad of players plays the game. Its like he's re-invented the frigging wheel and got them playing a different sport. Just look at El Abd. A little over a year ago he was a bloody liability. Now, he looks like one of the greatest centrebacks in our recent history. Navarro was feckin' useless - he really was - until Gus got hold of him and before his injury turned him into one of the most solid, effective, consistent engine-room midfielders in the team.

He has got this team playing football the like of which I have NEVER seen from an Albion team. Ever. It swells my heart and it swells my loins to see us pass pass pass our way from the back through the midfield. Every player knows his role, every player has bought into this style, and you can see they just LOVE playing this way. We don't have any one singular "superstar" in the side who makes us tick - from 1 to 11 they all play their part, and when it comes together like today - which it very often does - its just a joy.

And that is down to one man. He IS a genius, and I can't believe how lucky we are to have him.

Brilliant post.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Melia - better than Gus ?

For me the best manager in my time was Catlin followed by Coppell and Adams MK1, I think Gus is challenging all of these.

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6

I have NEVER seen a manager come in and utterly transform the way a squad of players plays the game. Its like he's re-invented the frigging wheel and got them playing a different sport. Just look at El Abd. A little over a year ago he was a bloody liability. Now, he looks like one of the greatest centrebacks in our recent history. Navarro was feckin' useless - he really was - until Gus got hold of him and before his injury turned him into one of the most solid, effective, consistent engine-room midfielders in the team.

He has got this team playing football the like of which I have NEVER seen from an Albion team. Ever. It swells my heart and it swells my loins to see us pass pass pass our way from the back through the midfield. Every player knows his role, every player has bought into this style, and you can see they just LOVE playing this way. We don't have any one singular "superstar" in the side who makes us tick - from 1 to 11 they all play their part, and when it comes together like today - which it very often does - its just a joy.

And that is down to one man. He IS a genius, and I can't believe how lucky we are to have him.

Great post. But it's not luck that we have him - it's more the luck that we keep him.

And on a personal note, I don't think the fans realise just how instrumental they are to that happening.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Mullery, Melia, Bailey, Adams (first time), Catlin, & maybe Lloyd are all above Gus IMO for now.

However, if Gus is still with us in two years I can see him being one of the top 3 managers in my time.

Adams?! Poyet is miles ahead of him. Adams just got all his old mates together that knew how to get promoted from the bottom division. Lloyd!? That has to be a joke.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm not going to say Lloyd was a better manager than Poyet is but some on here seem to forget what he achieved with a very limited budget and almost single handedly kept the club going despite the alteria motives of the incumbent board at the time. We had a promotion year under him and just failed to get into top division. People slagged him off at the time but I thought history had shown he had done a brilliant job under extenuating circumstances.

As for best manager, that is still Mullery but of course Poyet has the potential to be better. Whether that is with the Albion remains to be seen, I certainly hope so. If we do get promoted this year then we will need to challenge again next year or else Poyet may be poached by a bigger club, either here or on the continent.

although I have supported the Albion for 35 years from when i was a nipper I remember the mullery golden times but I cannot recall an instant change like gus has done...... I think we can reach the promised land in the new stadium (prem) providing Gus does not go elsewhere cos he will be head hunted by the big boys the more success he brings us!!!

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
If number of promotions or highest league position or reaching cup finals, are the criteria as some posts on here seem to imply, then clearly Poyet is not yet in a position to compete with Mullery, Bailey, Melia, Adams et al so it's a slightly pointless debate.

If you look upon it in terms of:

1) Brand of football / level of entertainment
2) Stamping a single footballing philosophy on everything that the club does
3) Tactical nouse
4) Coaching ability (ie the ability to make players perform to the very peak of their ability during games)

I think Gus wins. Mullery was not a brilliant tactician. He was a great motivator and pulled together a successful side. But I would put money on Gus achieving more over the course of his managerial career because he is the more 'complete' manager.

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
if number of promotions or highest league position or reaching cup finals, are the criteria as some posts on here seem to imply, then clearly poyet is not yet in a position to compete with mullery, bailey, melia, adams et al so it's a slightly pointless debate.

If you look upon it in terms of:

1) brand of football / level of entertainment
2) stamping a single footballing philosophy on everything that the club does
3) tactical nouse
4) coaching ability (ie the ability to make players perform to the very peak of their ability during games)

i think gus wins. Mullery was not a brilliant tactician. He was a great motivator and pulled together a successful side. But i would put money on gus achieving more over the course of his managerial career because he is the more 'complete' manager.

hope its with us

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I think we need to let Gus know exactly how we feel, more singing of his name and more uruguay flags etc. He loves the love!

Poyetry In Motion

Pooetry Motions
Feb 26, 2009
6.61 miles from the Amex

This. on a massive scale.
Excellent post

JGaleBHA

On the Gus bus
Apr 24, 2010
Horsham
I think, if Gus manages to keep this form going throughout our players for the remainder of the season, and we going up as Champions, he may well be the best.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here