Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet...

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Thirty-eight years of supporting the Albion has taught me to be cautiously pessimistic, even when I have every reason to be optimistic.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Was it TCB or WW who wanted him out and called him clueless after the Norwich(?) game? :glare:

Yes and what pisses me off is these kind of reactions can cause band-wagon jumping and before you know it certain sections of the crowd start to turn on the team too. All very negative and not at all helpful for the club.

Anyone who can't see that Gus is slowly turning things around in his own style are thick. He needs at least 12 months and his own signings in the summer transfer window before things really start to hot up! :thumbsup:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Always going to get tosspots like that...i reckon it takes a good YEAR before you can make a complete judgement on a manager
One step at a time, old boy.
Lets just keep someone for a year, first.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
..is our trump card. Slowly the tide is turning. We are playing good football..the results are coming. He can barely stop smiling ( watch the Seagulls World video after the Charlton game.CLASSIC).
He knows how to say 'well done' to Nicky F after a difficuilt couple of weeks, and after the guy had worked his bollocks off .
He knows how to say thank you to the amazing fans at this club for turning up in their thousands for a mid week match .
He also has his feet firmly on the ground....saying that this Saturday in now more important.
His enthusiasm for this job is rubbing off on the players....guys we thought were 'MAYBE' ok for league 1 are beginning to look like very very good footballers. The players we thought we had, but couldnt get it together for some reason.
Lets just go out on Saturday and give Exeter a thumping....someone is going to cop it big time soon !
Finally.....Gus could, given the time, patience,and staying with us, could become one of the LEGENDS of the Albion

Cue major up-f*** v Exeter & business as usual...

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Yes and what pisses me off is these kind of reactions can cause band-wagon jumping and before you know it certain sections of the crowd start to turn on the team too. All very negative and not at all helpful for the club.

Anyone who can't see that Gus is slowly turning things around in his own style are thick. He needs at least 12 months and his own signings in the summer transfer window before things really start to hot up! :thumbsup:

What pisses me off is people reaction to bandwagons that don't exist.

I didn't say I wanted Poyet out. Neither did TCB as far as I'm aware.

Still, anything to have a pop, eh?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Anyone who can't see that Gus is slowly turning things around in his own style are thick.

You're reading far too much into two successive excellent away results.

Until the excrement that is the home form shows some signs of improvement then the jury's still out. For that reason, and that reason alone, Exeter Is A Massive Game. If these players once again fail to perform at Withdean then nothing's changed since the Autumn.

griff9

Mar 17, 2009
brighton
You're reading far too much into two successive excellent away results.

Until the excrement that is the home form shows some signs of improvement then the jury's still out. For that reason, and that reason alone, Exeter Is A Massive Game. If these players once again fail to perform at Withdean then nothing's changed since the Autumn.

Disagree, for me personally Norwich looked like the best side i'd seen at Withdean all season (I'm a season ticket holder). We bossed them for 90 minutes and had them beat, admittedly we f***ed it up and its same old brighton, however from watching that game I have no doubt the home form will change very soon. We're playing the best football i have seen at Withdean for a long time, and u can say u can never be to good to go down but personally I think the team we have now is 3 times as good as the team that kept us up last year. Even if we lose to Exeter we'll still avoid the drop and im willing to put my neck on the line about it cus we've come on leaps and bounds since last season... better individual players, Calderon a much better defender then Whingy, Bennett is twice the winger Harty is (no disrespect to him at all), Lua Lua a better player then Cox... Murray and Forster are both better options then Lloyd Owusu. But we're also much better at playing as a unit. I was positive under Slade and thought we were heading in the right direction, looking at how much better we look under poyet compared to slade now, i can't believe how wrong i was.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
disagree, for me personally norwich looked like the best side i'd seen at withdean all season (season ticket holder)... we bossed them for 90 minutes and had them beat... admittedly we f***ed it up and its same old brighton... however from watching that game i have no doubt the home form will change very soon.... we're playing the best football i have seen at withdean for a long time... and u can say u can never be to good not to go down but personally i think the team we have now is 3 times as good as the team that kept us up last year, even if we lose to exeter we'll still avoid the drop and im willing to put my neck on the line about it cus we look so much better as a unit.

I agree with you - when we're playing as plucky underdogs to 'big' teams. The players seem fired up for those games. However... games like Exeter should be a bread n butter home win for any kind of side with serious ambitions to get out of League One (upwards). But I'm betting we'll find it hard work just like we always do at Withdean.

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
We have 8 home games left to rescue what is potentially the worst home season in history.
Even if we achieve 4 wins and 4 draws, we will end up as....
p23 w6 d7 l10......which will still be a poor record.
This shows the magnitude of the players ineptitude at home and how well they have been doing away, to be 18th in the table.
For all his efforts away from home, Gus knows that 2 points out of 21 at home during his reign is embarrassing and a millstone round all of our necks.
We appear to have some winnable games left at home but we need a significant and convincing result to kickstart us forward.
Lets hope we put Exeter to the sword

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Thirty-eight years of supporting the Albion has taught me to be cautiously pessimistic, even when I have every reason to be optimistic.

That is how I feel after the same number of years!

Always try to find the good, but never quite believing that a 1-0 lead is ever going to be enough!!

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Exeter Is A Massive Game. If these players once again fail to perform at Withdean then nothing's changed since the Autumn.

I disagree. Anyone that has seen all the home games this year (like me) must agree that we have improved? Ok, the results have been very poor, but progress has most certainly been made, and in more recent times, we were very unlucky to lose to Millwall and Norwich.

As Gus says, it has gone on too long though, the Withdean Jinx needs to be put to bed once and for all.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
what a difference a week makes - not looked at NSC since before the Leeds game as I couldn't face the inevitable Virgo bashing that doubtless ensued, and surprise surprise, people are at last starting to realise how lucky we are to have Poyet.
The comments from Charlton's manager hit the nail on the head for me, falsely positioned we are indded.
I just had a detailed look at the table and only Leeds and Norwich have better away records than us now - Falmer can't come soon enough for this squad. It must be a mental thing though now with this lot as Withdean was hardly a problem for the all conquering back to back Champions in the early 90's.
Admittedly I've never been there (but may do in August) but a good friend of mine who comes down for Millwall every year reckons it's the worst ground he's ever been to - from where they were with the away fans apprently they only realised they'd scored when the players starting celebrating the other week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here