Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet - right or wrong?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What is the context for Suarez to refer to Evra's skin colour? Poyet said on Talksport that 'we're not allowed to say black any more'. You can call someone black, since it's a perfectly acceptable adjective. You can't go up to someone and call them black to wind them up.

Why is it about black skin? I've played football in London and a group of black players called me a white f*cking c*nt for kicking their centre forward up in the air (it was a bad tackle), and that was racist, no doubt about it. I wouldn't have cared less about being called a 'bald c*nt, fat c*nt' whatever, but to be abused because of my race really got to me, and let's face it, I've never experienced any kind of discrimination to that point. That is what racism is, you consider the person in front of you firstly for their race, secondly as a person. It's unacceptable in my book.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
So free speech man..is it ok to call a black person a ******? Or a German a kraut, or a Jew a yid, or frenchman a frog?

Where do you draw the line, or don't you?

Probably the most interesting point made on here Dave. Where do you 'draw the line'....?

We all know(well us older ones do) that as soon as a 'line is drawn' and is then achieved, the line is then moved yet again.

Take smoking as an example. Took years before the 'line was drawn' on smoking in restaurants. As soon as that was achieved, the 'line was drawn ' at banning smoking in Pubs, enclosed areas etc etc. Having achieved that the 'line drawn' next on the agenda is smoking in cars. It just goes on and on. The 'line' is never fixed. What is acceptable today , will be looked upon in a horrifying manner in 20 years.

One of the issues from these 'Suarez/Terry/Blatter gate' scenarios of late, is that we do seem out of step (or racing ahead...?) with the rest of the world opinion. Of course we all agree that racism etc is bad.........but it,s the level of importance and condemnation it is given in this country.

We do appear to be one of the world leaders in PC stuff.........but also, in going to war. I often wonder how the rest of the world views our rather odd position on these matters.

manutd_gone_wild

Nov 18, 2011
At least he will get some support there!
no he hasnt got support.
u are looking at the newest comments by scousers and they have mostly low rating because readers dont agree with racism.
Click on "highly rated" comments and you will see Poyet is getting torn apart

Last edited:

Sep 19, 2011
Cuckfield
Can't see this going away quickly

It certainly won't - Gus is too pigheaded to admit or probably even see that he has done wrong, and will continue to defend himself to the hilt which is only going to dig himself into a deeper hole. That is the main reason why this will probably run and run and run

MCK

Nov 18, 2011
Hi all,

Manchester United fan here (from manchester). Firstly apologies for the idiot so called United fan on here insulting your team. Were not all like him and I felt I had to come on here to say that.

Good to read this thread and the sensible non blinkered views that have been posted in the main.

Always liked Gus Poyet just not really sure this is a fight he should have got involved in. Appreciate he wants to defend his friend but to the national media is not such a good idea.

Found this site from a link on the main United forum RED CAFE.NET. May be of interest for you to read what more balanced United fans think of Poyets interview.

Anyway good to read some of the comments and hear and good luck this seasson.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Suarez has been here for 10 months.

I know someone from The Netherlands who's said that there's absolutely no chance that Suarez doesn't know that you can't call a black person 'negro' having lived there for 5 years.

Very interesting point, it's not like he just stepped off the boat from Uruguay in June is it.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
no he hasnt got support.
u are looking at the newest comments by scousers and they have mostly low rating because readers dont agree with racism.
Click on "highly rated" comments and you will see Poyet is getting thorn apart

Are you a real life Man U fan? If so, irrespective of the fact that I think Gus is bang out of order with his comments I'd like to take this opportunity to call you a plastic Premiershite c*nt.

(I make it a rule in life never to pass up an opportunity to abuse Man U fans. I find it holds true in any situation)

Revzzz

Nov 18, 2011
Why is it about black skin? I've played football in London and a group of black players called me a white f*cking c*nt for kicking their centre forward up in the air (it was a bad tackle), and that was racist, no doubt about it. I wouldn't have cared less about being called a 'bald c*nt, fat c*nt' whatever, but to be abused because of my race really got to me, and let's face it, I've never experienced any kind of discrimination to that point. That is what racism is, you consider the person in front of you firstly for their race, secondly as a person. It's unacceptable in my book.
I agree, I think any form of racism is unacceptable and I'll extend that to stereotypes too. It's about black skin because I was referring to the Suarez allegations.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I can't believe Gus has been this stupid, it's hard enough job managing your own club without getting embroiled in not only something that has nothing to do with you directly, but is the hottest and most controversial issue of the day. And that is even before disagreeing with what he actually said.

You just duck the question, 'I don't know the full facts', or at most back him with 'I don't believe Suarez to be a racist'. That's it.

Evra may be a cry-baby (not so much over this, but more his antics with France at the World Cup), but this is not the right context to be saying it. The perception out there is that Gus would back his mate to any degree, even if he is racist. I'm sure Bloom will be speaking to him about this and telling him to shut it in the future.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Interesting that The Guardian put this out last night because they weren't represented at the press conference. They turned down the story when I offered it to them at midday, but obviously picked it up from the story I filed to someone else (I know because it uses the exact form of words that I used to clarify something Gus had said that didn't translate exactly).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I can't believe Gus has been this stupid, it's hard enough job managing your own club without getting embroiled in not only something that has nothing to do with you directly, but is the hottest and most controversial issue of the day.

You'd think so, wouldn't you. Especially on the eve of an important match. Would have been good if he'd kept his head down and stayed focused on the Saints game.

manutd_gone_wild

Nov 18, 2011
Now thats funny :longlaugh:

actually its not. At first it was funny when I posted there, but then I realized they were really defending Carrick and Evans after horror performances.
Considering the time zone differences i think the indians usually just watch highlights or something day after the game.. its shocking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here