Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet - Managerial Genius

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Many times we've had managers not making bold statements by switching formations. 4-5-1 was the thing to do. He done it at the right time, and with the right changes.

Whilst only the players can actually win the match. Gus dominated Pardew on the sidelines all match.

Gus Poyet, take a bow.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Genius does not even describe the tactical nous we have leading these players into his wonderland!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
It was on the money the tactical performance and superb hand gestures when 5 minutes extra time.

Shame he did not come over and acknowledge us fans afterwards on this performance the future is very bright.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Reminded me of the Coppell team in the championship today. Technically Southampton looked better, but not as well prepared.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
step number 1 - Keeping Virgo on the bench . step no 2 - Giving the captains armband to Crofts. step number 3 - Seeing El-Abd getting skinned so making changes. All in all not a bad debut as boss

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
It was on the money the tactical performance and superb hand gestures when 5 minutes extra time.

Shame he did not come over and acknowledge us fans afterwards on this performance the future is very bright.

I thought that at first but then again i thought it was good he didnt because perhaps he doesnt see it as something out of the ordinary, already spoken very highly of the fans on sky

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
After Russell Slade was fired and Gus Poyet's name was mentioned (at the time in a hopeful but not really thinking it would happen kind of way) I wasn't sure that he would be right for us. Lack of experience, etc., etc.

However, since he signed (and watching all of his TV interviews)-I think we have made an inspired choice (for 'we' read Tony Bloom). Our biggest problem could be holding on to him if today's performance is anything to go by.

Well done Gus, Mauricio, Charlie and all the squad.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
What Gus has to do now - and I'll bet he has already said it - is make it clear to the players that they have set the standard now. He (and the rest of us) know how they can play, and it's got to be like that every week.

Almost a faultless debut. Motivation and selection excellent. Half-time talk must have been good, because that penalty could easily have turned the game. And the changes worked.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
The more I think about this appointment the more I think Bloom may have actually pulled off a moment of GENIUS. Gus is young, intelligent, has loads of contacts, qualified up to his neck, commands massive respect from everyone, is a great coach, has decent experience at Spurs. I really can't see a weakness. Some people say his lack of management experience is bad - I see that as a PLUS. He knows it's all on this job for him. If he fucks up that could be the end for him, so I'm quite happy with young managers looking to prove themselves.

I just think that this move could be the one that transforms us, on and off the pitch, and gets us out of the STATE we've been in for about five years now.

I'm in the same camp as you in that I think it was wrong to ditch Slade so early.

However - maybe I'm getting carried away by the buzz of today - but I think you've got it spot on again there with this post. :clap:

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
The great positives that I took from today were:
-Midfield supporting the defence, saw Coxy chase and harry back on a few occasions. This makes the defenders more comfortable.
-Glenn Murray, class act.Hope Gus can keep him motivated and hungry. Always thought he has 20+ goals per season in him.
-Kuipers--pure dead brilliant.

Gus's tactical nous shone through as well in not only his substitutions but in re-arranging the left hand side to combat Antonio.

All in all a very very happy seagull here.

Now to stuff the Wycombe and 'Dirty Leeds'

TNBA

TTF

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
step number 1 - Keeping Virgo on the bench . step no 2 - Giving the captains armband to Crofts. step number 3 - Seeing El-Abd getting skinned so making changes. All in all not a bad debut as boss

It is reassuring to know that he has spotted our two main weak links so quickly.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

What he said!

It would have been nice for Gus to come over and say "Hello" ???

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
What he said!

It would have been nice for Gus to come over and say "Hello" ???

Unfortunately he's signed a hush hush pre-nup with Spurs to replace 'Arry next season providing he proves himself as a manager and gets us into the Championship so he can't get too emotionally involved with us lot.

:smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here