Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet in the transfer market

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
For the love of f***ing God, get some fvcking perspective you complete simpleton. That man won us the League 1 title and made us a top half Championship side. Either you have a very short memory or no idea about how bad things were! If someone said where we would be now a year ago we would have bitten their arm off.....think about it!!!!

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Holroyd - shit
Arismendi - shit
Hendrie - past it
LuaLua - class but injury prone
Barnes - superb League 1 signing, not up to it in Championship
Ankergren - ditto Barnes
Calderon - great in League 1, jury's out now though
Painter - ditto Calderon
Greer - great signing
Sandaza - shit
Brezovan - unconvincing keeper
Hoskins - half a million pound sicknote
Buckley - great player but appears to be a million pound sicknote
Mackail-Smith £2.5million. 6 goals
Kishishev - did the job for half a season before his legs packed up
Wood - failed to impress after an encouraging start
Vincelot - doesn't appear to offer anything other than versatility
Paynter - shit, laughing stock
Bridcutt - great signing although a bit of a lucky one
Vicente - has achieved the impossible in being a more expensive sicknote than Paul Kitson, and an even bigger joke
Harper - good keeper, 1 month loan = pointless
Sparrow - inconsistent midfielder, sometimes good, frequently anonymous
Noone - good signing with potential, no end product currently
Harley - 1/4 million pounds worth of shit
Baz - shit
Battipiedi - shit

No wonder Tony Bloom won't give him any more money. Don't expect much in the way of signings this month.

Yeah it's shit being the highest we've been this season in the league since 1991...I also hate the way that some of those players have made us champions of last years league 1...so depressing isn't it?

Shut up moaning you boring bastard

Sent from my iPhone using a goat

devonsi

"By-The-Sea"
Dec 26, 2008
Plymouth
All in good time ww, we've been unlucky with injury's & nobhead officials decisions against, but you don't beat a top've the league, top money team like stains 3-0, with your 2nd squad, by being sh!t... ¿

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
For the love of f***ing God, get some fvcking perspective you complete simpleton. That man won us the League 1 title and made us a top half Championship side. Either you have a very short memory or no idea about how bad things were! If someone said where we would be now a year ago we would have bitten their arm off.....think about it!!!!

I'm not doubting that at all, last season was incredible, but I'm genuinely concerned by our manager's actions in the transfer market. We've got obvious holes in major positions and Gus needs to make the RIGHT signings to sort out some massive problems (averaging just under a goal away from home, fewest amount of shots in the division, worst discipline in the division). I'm not sure I have the faith in him to do so on the current run of signings - it's not quite as rosey as it was when he first tookover, put Calderon and Painter in and transformed us into a unit.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think Gus had a decision to make in the summer. He had to decide whether to respect the players who got us to the Championship, or cut them out entirely and get a whole new team in. If he had told Bloom he needed a complete new squad, I think we would have done a lot more business. But I don't think Gus is that man. I think he wanted to come into this league with players like Barnes, Calderon and Painter probably knowing they would struggle to make the grade, but give them the chance they've earnt. I have respect for him, he gave them all the chance. Same with Ankergren, he had the chance to prove he was worthy of being at this club in this league. But when it was apparent he wasn't, we got Harper in and I suspect a new goalkeeper will be top of the priorities list. However you want to look at it, we'd been a league 1 club for quite a while and our squad, with the exceptions of Bennett, Murray and Greer (arguably Bridcutt and a couple of others), wasn't good enough to compete in the higher reaches of this league. The job Gus has done in stabilising us and keeping us well above the bottom third of the league has been fantastic. He and I don't neccessarily see things the same way, but it is impossible to argue with him and his record here. This season will be like his first at the club, he'll work out what sort of player he has, and what sort of player he needs to play the sort of football he wants to play. Next season we will have a squad, not just a team, of Championship quality players which will allow us to play the sort of football we played last season and dominate teams off the pitch. In the meantime, we are what we are. Mid-table Championship quality. I'll take that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
YOURCOURAGE.NS.123.1.jpg

Discodoktor

Apr 28, 2011
Guildford
WW what you are saying is clear. You are not the only one to doubt the quality of the signings since he has been in charge. Some have even added to that list transfers out. I also understand that this is in no way a reflection of all of his other talents especially his ability to turn a team around and play the best football I have ever seen Albion play.

I don't think you should care that others get upset. Or you could spice it up more by talking about 1 winger tactics.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
Holroyd - Mistake
Arismendi - Worth a go, just didnt come off
Hendrie - Did a job at the time we needed
LuaLua - Fantastic signing - injuries are not Gus's fault (see further down)
Barnes - Young, 20 goal Lge 1 striker who will get better the more he plays in the Championship - shouldnt be written off, and frankly has already done the job he was bought for as we got promoted due to his goals (among others)
Ankergren - Average keeper at this level - good signing for Lge 1
Calderon - Superb signing - has struggled this year but was playing through his injury for a while
Painter - Superb signing - questionable pace, but still dependable
Greer - Brilliant signing
Sandaza - Did a very good job when given the chance, but with 3 strikers playing well at the time he wasnt going to get many chances
Brezovan - Average
Hoskins - Has looked great when he has played - unlucky with injuries (again not Poyet's fault)
Buckley - Great signing and hopefully will get a run of games
Mackail-Smith - £2.5million - yes, 6 goals so far, but we ALL know he will score a lot more... fantastic player
Kishishev - Did a very good job at the early part of last season
Wood - Did well to start with and tailed off, scored important goals
Vincelot - Great signing, exactly what we need on the bench, and plays well in all positions when you need him
Paynter - Woeful - loan, was worth a shot
Bridcutt - Yes it was lucky but what manager hasn't had a lucky signing at some point - fantastic player
Vicente - My feelings on him are documented in other threads - it was worth the punt and I still think we will see a lot more from him in the 2nd half of the season
Harper - Good solid month
Sparrow - Not as good as I thought he would be, but can be a matchwinner on his day
Noone - No end product? Did you not see that ball in the 97th minute for Buckley against Donny?
Harley - Don't believe he is shit, lazy and up his own backside maybe, and if someone can put a rocket up that backside he definitely has the talent
Baz - Cheap - worth a go - didnt come off
Battipiedi - Ditto Baz
Poke - Hasnt worked out

That doesnt include his development squad signings - the likes of Toby, Simmonds, Sampayo etc. who mostly impressed at the weekend...

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Holroyd - shit yep
Arismendi - shit loan can't blame Gus really
Hendrie - past it was useful at the end of that season when we 17th or something in LEAGUE ONE ffs
LuaLua - class but injury prone yep, still a good signing though
Barnes - superb League 1 signing, not up to it in Championship yep
Ankergren - ditto Barnes yep
Calderon - great in League 1, jury's out now though agree
Painter - ditto Calderon yep
Greer - great signing he is
Sandaza - shit :timmy:
Brezovan - unconvincing keeper looks good atm
Hoskins - half a million pound sicknote give him a chance
Buckley - great player but appears to be a million pound sicknote not really a sicknote, class player
Mackail-Smith £2.5million. 6 goals so?
Kishishev - did the job for half a season before his legs packed up good signing
Wood - failed to impress after an encouraging start was a loan, did what he was supposed to do
Vincelot - doesn't appear to offer anything other than versatility that's what he was brought in for you nobend
Paynter - shit, laughing stock agree
Bridcutt - great signing although a bit of a lucky one lucky is the wrong word
Vicente - has achieved the impossible in being a more expensive sicknote than Paul Kitson, and an even bigger joke hasn't paid off yet, could be yet be amazing
Harper - good keeper, 1 month loan = pointless probably
Sparrow - inconsistent midfielder, sometimes good, frequently anonymous true
Noone - good signing with potential, no end product currently yep
Harley - 1/4 million pounds worth of shit I would argue at least £100 of him is gold, the other £240,900 is undoubtedly shit
Baz - shit indeed
Battipiedi - shit amen

No wonder Tony Bloom won't give him any more money. Don't expect much in the way of signings this month.

And I would still have Gus over anyone else.

Seagulls4life

Jul 30, 2010
Brighton
Holroyd - Mistake
Arismendi - Worth a go, just didnt come off
Hendrie - Did a job at the time we needed
LuaLua - Fantastic signing - injuries are not Gus's fault (see further down)
Barnes - Young, 20 goal Lge 1 striker who will get better the more he plays in the Championship - shouldnt be written off, and frankly has already done the job he was bought for as we got promoted due to his goals (among others)
Ankergren - Average keeper at this level - good signing for Lge 1
Calderon - Superb signing - has struggled this year but was playing through his injury for a while
Painter - Superb signing - questionable pace, but still dependable
Greer - Brilliant signing
Sandaza - Did a very good job when given the chance, but with 3 strikers playing well at the time he wasnt going to get many chances
Brezovan - Average
Hoskins - Has looked great when he has played - unlucky with injuries (again not Poyet's fault)
Buckley - Great signing and hopefully will get a run of games
Mackail-Smith - £2.5million - yes, 6 goals so far, but we ALL know he will score a lot more... fantastic player
Kishishev - Did a very good job at the early part of last season
Wood - Did well to start with and tailed off, scored important goals
Vincelot - Great signing, exactly what we need on the bench, and plays well in all positions when you need him
Paynter - Woeful - loan, was worth a shot
Bridcutt - Yes it was lucky but what manager hasn't had a lucky signing at some point - fantastic player
Vicente - My feelings on him are documented in other threads - it was worth the punt and I still think we will see a lot more from him in the 2nd half of the season
Harper - Good solid month
Sparrow - Not as good as I thought he would be, but can be a matchwinner on his day
Noone - No end product? Did you not see that ball in the 97th minute for Buckley against Donny?
Harley - Don't believe he is shit, lazy and up his own backside maybe, and if someone can put a rocket up that backside he definitely has the talent
Baz - Cheap - worth a go - didnt come off
Battipiedi - Ditto Baz
Poke - Hasnt worked out

That doesnt include his development squad signings - the likes of Toby, Simmonds, Sampayo etc. who mostly impressed at the weekend...

Agree with all of that.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Lets not forget Barry Barry Barry out out out had a hand in some of these so no wonder they were shit

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
I'm not doubting that at all, last season was incredible, but I'm genuinely concerned by our manager's actions in the transfer market. We've got obvious holes in major positions and Gus needs to make the RIGHT signings to sort out some massive problems (averaging just under a goal away from home, fewest amount of shots in the division, worst discipline in the division). I'm not sure I have the faith in him to do so on the current run of signings - it's not quite as rosey as it was when he first tookover, put Calderon and Painter in and transformed us into a unit.

Don't get me wrong...there are some valid points on that list about some players....however unless you have the luxury of being able to sign world class players every time(which we don't) you have to make the most of what you can get at the time to do the job. The players he signed last year to get us up exceeded themselves and won the league 1 title. Now are some them up to this standard...no...but despite that, the injuries and other issues we are now a top half Championship side and considering where we have come from I am so grateful. Yes sometimes recently the performances have been dire and players not at their best but if the crocked players come back from injury etc, and we stay mid table or better, I don't really see how anyone could not be pleased. This is our first season in what is a league with some big teams and we are doing well when you really think about it.......PS. RE: Billy Paynter.........yes he's fvcking shit!

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008

Since everyone else bit...

I can't be bothered to go through each and every player but I'll summarise:

Gus has spent 'proper' money on CMS, Buckley, Hoskins, LuaLua, Harley, Noone and Greer. Got Barnes & Vincelot on the cheap. All first team players.

He's got Sparrow, Vicente, Ankergren, Brezovan, Calderon, Painter & Bridcutt on free contracts. All first team players.

He bought in some loans (temporary measures anyway), and some cheap short-term deals for players that were calculated risks. They didn't pay off, he cut his losses and moved on.

All in all I think it's been pretty good so far. The only genuine failure from that list, where he's spent money and they've been poor, is Holroyd. But that was a 60k punt on a prolific non-league striker who could've turned out like Beckford or CMS for all we know, and been a key player for us now. As it turns out he was pretty out of his depth and got shipped out. The other perceived 'failures' were all loans or frees on short term contracts, as mentioned above. They didn't work, he got rid.

The signings Gus made last season won us the league and the team is now almost entirely his own. Also I find it interesting that for example Bridcutt is apparently a good signing but a lucky one, but any of those you claim aren't good enough, they're not seen as unlucky. Like Buckley/LuaLua/Hoskins being injured. Is that not unlucky?

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
What a depressing thread

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here