Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus on transfers, the budget and that Ipswich banner

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Poyet hits back at claims Albion are big spenders From The Argus)

Havent seen a topic about this - interesting read this was.

Says he hopes TB gives him a "surprise", so what would that mean for Gus ? A higher budget than he expects or a lower one, which would be a challenge to work with.

And he finally says something on the Ipswich banner :clap:

Also seems that the HOVEPARKRESIDENT guy is back in the comment box being a troll again :facepalm:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
It's tedious listening to Gus these days, forever moaning about money despite having spent shitloads more than any Albion manager. Ever.

Also can't stand the way he's constantly speculating on the relative size of our budget. If I could be arsed to trawl through all his petty moans about having the Xth biggest/smallest budget in the league, it would be fascinating to see how many times the man has contradicted himself.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's tedious listening to Gus these days, forever moaning about money despite having spent shitloads more than any Albion manager. Ever.

Also can't stand the way he's constantly speculating on the relative size of our budget. If I could be arsed to trawl through all his petty moans about having the Xth biggest/smallest budget in the league, it would be fascinating to see how many times the man has contradicted himself.

Perhaps if certain fans who claim that money is irrelevant (and I don't include you in this by the way) were not whining about not being in the play-offs.

How do you benchmark the season? Whilst Gus does have a higher budget than when we have previously been in this division, we have also finished a lot higher in the table. If you compare final position against budget we have done very well.

Stains have done exceptionally, but remember their wage budget was nearly double ours last season, and since then they have bought well and expensively (Jack Cork £23,000 a week for example).

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Perhaps if certain fans who claim that money is irrelevant (and I don't include you in this by the way) were not whining about not being in the play-offs.

How do you benchmark the season? Whilst Gus does have a higher budget than when we have previously been in this division, we have also finished a lot higher in the table. If you compare final position against budget we have done very well.

Stains have done exceptionally, but remember their wage budget was nearly double ours last season, and since then they have bought well and expensively (Jack Cork £23,000 a week for example).

Don't disagree with what any of what you've said.

Me? Quite content with this season even if some performances (mainly the away ones) have caused frustration.

But listening to GP make the same comments over and over again about budget? Dull. There aren't many clubs who can spend the best part of £3 million quid on a League 1 striker

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

He answers the questions given to him, surely?

He probably has spent more than any other Brighton manager, but football is a different kettle of fish nowadays. In relative terms, were we not spending more than a lot of top clubs in the Bamber era?

As an aside, I am struggling to remember contradictions in terms of finance or was that a general reference?

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
He answers the questions given to him, surely?

He probably has spent more than any other Brighton manager, but football is a different kettle of fish nowadays. In relative terms, were we not spending more than a lot of top clubs in the Bamber era?

As an aside, I am struggling to remember contradictions in terms of finance or was that a general reference?

Poyet has, on at least 4 times this season, made a reference to whereabouts our budget lies out of the 24 clubs in this league. I'd be FASCINATED to compare each of those comments, as I'm pretty certain he's changed his tune on several occasions.

Techno

Oct 23, 2006
West Midlands

How can you tell he was moaning just through a few select quotes, which will have been asked and taken to fit an article. How do you know he wasn't talking about how well our players have done this season, finishing in the top 10, with a bottom 10 wage budget?

I quite like how honest Gus is, and how he likes to bring up the relative size of our wage budget, personally it helps to keep my expectations grounded, and reminds me how far we've come in the past couple of years, which is never a bad thing.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
How can you tell he was moaning just through a few select quotes, which will have been asked and taken to fit an article. How do you know he wasn't talking about how well our players have done this season, finishing in the top 10, with a bottom 10 wage budget?

I quite like how honest Gus is, and how he likes to bring up the relative size of our wage budget, personally it helps to keep my expectations grounded, and reminds me how far we've come in the past couple of years, which is never a bad thing.

I'm a Seagulls Player subscriber and tend to watch/listen to Gus Poyet, rather than read him.

I like Gus, I like his honesty most of the time, but his moans about budget are, in my opinion, completely ridiculous. Especially when he refused to pay our main striker an extra 2k a week, instead preferring to spunk 3 million (and a greater wage) on CMS.

And goodness knows what wage Vicente's on!

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003

It's tedious reading your negative posts, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Just be thankful that you're not a Villa supporter or you would be suffering from terminal RSI in your typing finger.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
It's tedious reading your negative posts, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Just be thankful that you're not a Villa supporter or you would be suffering from terminal RSI in your typing finger.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to tell me I'm negative and could be a lot worse off. I've never had such an insight before.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I'm a Seagulls Player subscriber and tend to watch/listen to Gus Poyet, rather than read him.

I like Gus, I like his honesty most of the time, but his moans about budget are, in my opinion, completely ridiculous. Especially when he refused to pay our main striker an extra 2k a week, instead preferring to spunk 3 million (and a greater wage) on CMS.

And goodness knows what wage Vicente's on!

I agree the constant budget chat can get tedious but it's spun a certain way by the journos and he's only trying to suppress greedy agents. We spent a lot on CMS compared to our past, yes, but it's not groundbreaking money in the division anymore, it's not like he was £5m, and he could've got better wages at Leicester or West Ham. I'd be more worried if Gus was saying we had lots of money to spend in the summer, as the agents of every target we had would lick their lips and double their demands. Read between the lines and this is a standard, nothing-y, 'lower your expectations' soundbite to me.

Oh, and I imagine if Vicente comes back next season he will be on a fat wedge, but my understanding is this year was more or less pay-as-you-play, hence the option for the second year.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Poyet has, on at least 4 times this season, made a reference to whereabouts our budget lies out of the 24 clubs in this league. I'd be FASCINATED to compare each of those comments, as I'm pretty certain he's changed his tune on several occasions.

I remember some mentions, but they have been lost in a maze of El Radio quotes. To be pretty certain, I would want to see if my certainty was justified. I minded to believe that he has always talked down our budget in relative terms, so no contradictions.

I'm not sure how budget sizes are compared as I can't believe (m)any chairmen would shout from the rooftops, unless there is a certain club where they all meet and compare wage bills, amongst other things.

Some people are going to take his budget talk as excuses for his 'failings'. Others are going to take it as a lesson or dose of realism. Depends which way you swing, I guess.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to tell me I'm negative and could be a lot worse off. I've never had such an insight before.

Are you by any chance a resident of Hove Park?

note: when Naylor tweeted about the press conference he quoted Gus as saying we had the 14th highest budget but by the time it appeared in the paper it was 15th. Or was it the other way round? Confused? Confusing? Can't rely on anything - not even our favourite local press reporter :lol:

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Just an observation, why do you disappear from this board when things are going well, only to reappear when we hit a bad spell? Coincidence?

Well, I started posting on NSC in 2001, only recently (last 18 months or so) have I started posting less as 1) I am in full time employment and 2) have at times been totally put off by uneccessary personal abuse on here. It's hard to motivate yourself to use a message board when you're with friends and family at football matches and find yourself getting abused by random strangers because of what you've typed in an online debate.

Problem with that? Last season and, to a massive extent, this season have been f*cking brilliant. Just because I haven't posted much doesn't mean this isn't the case. Move along.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I wouldn't read much into those moans, I think it's more of a hint to agents not to take the piss. Because we comitted the best part of £130m in our infrastructure the view is that we are the Man City of the Chammpionship and will overpay. That is clearly not the case.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The FFP was voted in just yesterday so it would have been surprising if our budget hadn't been discussed. It's topical.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well, I started posting on NSC in 2001, only recently (last 18 months or so) have I started posting less as 1) I am in full time employment and 2) have at times been totally put off by uneccessary personal abuse on here. It's hard to motivate yourself to use a message board when you're with friends and family at football matches and find yourself getting abused by random strangers because of what you've typed in an online debate.

Problem with that? Last season and, to a massive extent, this season have been f*cking brilliant. Just because I haven't posted much doesn't mean this isn't the case. Move along.

Charlton away was such an unmitigated disaster wasn't it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here