Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus on talksport Friday @ 7

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
He did say that the club thought he had too much power which was true.

Bloom gave him an inch and he took a mile. When you are always on the verge of threatening to leave if you don't get your way, the intent is to dictate and take power.

Best thing is for Gus is to get his Prem job so he can be judged as a manager on that, or buy his own bloody club.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I thought last month it was four reasons, now it's three? In my book it's one reason and that's because you're a kvnt Poyet.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
So was there ANY new information, even non-Albion related like whether he's had any managerial job offers, when he's looking to return to the dugout? Even ask the guy whether he'd be prepared to manage Palace in the future would have been a great question. I'm so glad the buffoon Keys is off our screens, absolute amateur.

The rumours mentioned on the radio today stated Gus Poyet to Newcastle with Pardew going to Palace (after Holloway's bust up with the chairman this week).
History tells us that managers are moved on when there are International breaks so not long...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I totally get Gus to Newcastle pre-Kinnear, but I don't see how that arrangement can possibly work, especially as Gus seems a bit of a control freak. Mike Ashley won't take much shit from him either.

But Newcastle being Newcastle it's bound to happen.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The rumours mentioned on the radio today stated Gus Poyet to Newcastle with Pardew going to Palace (after Holloway's bust up with the chairman this week).
History tells us that managers are moved on when there are International breaks so not long...

Makes sense, Pardew hasn't progressed Newcastle, we beat them twice with ease, and he has strong Palace roots.

Though I thought Gus to Newcastle would be midway during the season.

Last edited:

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Interview now on Talksport site, link below.

http://talksport.com/football/exclusive-%E2%80%93-poyet-i-don%E2%80%99t-regret-turning-down-reading-move-13083057962

Former Brighton & Hove Albion manager Gus Poyet has told talkSPORT that he doesn’t regret turning down a move to then-Premier League side Reading, even though he was sacked by the Seagulls three months later.
Poyet was reportedly offered a bonus of £1.5million to take over from the dismissed Brian McDermott at the Royals, if he managed to steer the club away from their impending relegation to the Championship.
But the Uruguayan said he rejected the offer because of his loyalty to Championship outfit Albion, explaining that he wanted to finish what he started at the club and achieve promotion to the top-flight.
However, the former Tottenham and Chelsea star’s relationship with the club mysteriously broke down following the team’s fourth-place finish in the Championship – missing out on promotion in the play-offs - which led to his dismissal.
“I had the chance to go to the Premier League, with double the budget and double the contract, but I was loyal,” Poyet told Keys and Gray.
“I thought it was the right time to stay at the club and finish what I had done there, and I had three years left of my contract.
“One of the players at Brighton said to me: ‘I cannot believe you didn’t go’.
“But I don’t regret it at all.
“Sometimes the decisions you make go your way, sometimes they don’t, sometimes they don’t work out the way you think.
“It wasn’t an easy decision to make and unfortunately the outcome was really bad in the end."
Poyet masterminded Brighton’s rise from League One mediocrity to the Championship following his appointment in 2009, with the team’s 2010/11 league triumph paving their way to the second-tier and finishing in the play-offs within just two seasons.
The manager’s exit from the AMEX Stadium helm is still largely unexplained, with the club citing ‘gross misconduct’ as the reason behind his sacking
But the 45-year-old coach insisted he will never fully understand the “farcical” circumstances of his dismissal.
“I was sacked for reasons I will never understand,” Poyet added.
“It was the club’s best season in 30 years, and we finished the season with 30,000 people in the stands.
“We played a kind of football that became an identity for Brighton.
“I was planning the pre-season for the next year to find myself suspended in a farcical situation.”

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/exclu...-reading-move-13083057962#ShkkuRR6JJqchY62.99

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Interview now on Talksport site, link below.

http://talksport.com/football/exclusive-%E2%80%93-poyet-i-don%E2%80%99t-regret-turning-down-reading-move-13083057962

Former Brighton & Hove Albion manager Gus Poyet has told talkSPORT that he doesn’t regret turning down a move to then-Premier League side Reading, even though he was sacked by the Seagulls three months later.
Poyet was reportedly offered a bonus of £1.5million to take over from the dismissed Brian McDermott at the Royals, if he managed to steer the club away from their impending relegation to the Championship.
But the Uruguayan said he rejected the offer because of his loyalty to Championship outfit Albion, explaining that he wanted to finish what he started at the club and achieve promotion to the top-flight.
However, the former Tottenham and Chelsea star’s relationship with the club mysteriously broke down following the team’s fourth-place finish in the Championship – missing out on promotion in the play-offs - which led to his dismissal.
“I had the chance to go to the Premier League, with double the budget and double the contract, but I was loyal,” Poyet told Keys and Gray.
“I thought it was the right time to stay at the club and finish what I had done there, and I had three years left of my contract.
“One of the players at Brighton said to me: ‘I cannot believe you didn’t go’.
“But I don’t regret it at all.
“Sometimes the decisions you make go your way, sometimes they don’t, sometimes they don’t work out the way you think.
“It wasn’t an easy decision to make and unfortunately the outcome was really bad in the end."
Poyet masterminded Brighton’s rise from League One mediocrity to the Championship following his appointment in 2009, with the team’s 2010/11 league triumph paving their way to the second-tier and finishing in the play-offs within just two seasons.
The manager’s exit from the AMEX Stadium helm is still largely unexplained, with the club citing ‘gross misconduct’ as the reason behind his sacking
But the 45-year-old coach insisted he will never fully understand the “farcical” circumstances of his dismissal.
“I was sacked for reasons I will never understand,” Poyet added.
“It was the club’s best season in 30 years, and we finished the season with 30,000 people in the stands.
“We played a kind of football that became an identity for Brighton.
“I was planning the pre-season for the next year to find myself suspended in a farcical situation.”

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/exclu...-reading-move-13083057962#ShkkuRR6JJqchY62.99

And he asked to leave in March.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Keys shown up as a useless **** again. Just shows if you have someone in the mainstream for so long with no competition (as he and Gray were on Sky), then then you will never get to 'real' matters, just a load of arse licking and cliche repeating which the unthinking Sky Sports audience lap up. Yawn. Modern football is pants.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Planning pre season? Sure he said he wasn't sure if he was gonna be here etc.

Again, no need to call one of our best ever manager's nasty names people WE STILL NO NOTHING LIKE THE TRUTH either...

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
What ever we all know about Gus, at the end of the day the general public hear that interview and will believe the bullshit from El Gus. I hope this goes to court so he can be shown up for the clown that he is. The longer this goes on the more rope Bloom is giving him to hang himself from what I know. If El Gus had a nailed on case dates would be set and he would NOT be on talkshite giving his version of events.

I hate the bloke more every day, he let us down on our biggest game since Hereford.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Did Gus say Bloom needs to stop talking about him, earlier on radio?

I can't remember hearing an utterance from Bloom, yet Gus talks about nothing else.

Gus answers questions from others as did Tony Bloom at the fans forum.

Loadicus Trux

Jan 12, 2012
One thing that did come from the interview is, that this is going to court.

I'm pretty sure that a settlement will be reached long before they enter a court room.

Do you think the Club have set aside funds to cover a settlement, and it has come from our transfer budget?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I totally get Gus to Newcastle pre-Kinnear, but I don't see how that arrangement can possibly work, especially as Gus seems a bit of a control freak. Mike Ashley won't take much shit from him either.

But Newcastle being Newcastle it's bound to happen.

It would be pure comedy gold.

Quaid

Nov 6, 2011

I'm pretty sure that a settlement will be reached long before they enter a court room.

Do you think the Club have set aside funds to cover a settlement, and it has come from our transfer budget?

I think so, and until it is settled I doubt we will spend big. This episode has knocked us slightly off course. Fingers crossed it is concluded soon.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland

If the club was going to pay a settlement, it would have done so already.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I suspect this won't go to court. Gus knows what he's accused of and if he wants to have it all spelled out in public he may live to regret it.

Let's assume it went to a tribunal and Gus actually won. We'd pay the money (not easily, but we'd find it) but the accusations that the club made would be out there in the open, and people would doubtless believe much of what was said, including chairmen of other clubs.

Let Gus go on the media merry-go-round expressing mock exasperation with his treatment if he likes. He can get away with avoiding detail about what really happened "for legal reasons" on the radio and TV. In court, we'd get the full story. I don't know the whole story about what went on but I'd be pretty certain Gus won't come out of any tribunal with his reputation enhanced.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here