Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus on current situation with Murray's new contract

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Monthly income is important but so is length of contracts. at 27, Glenn wants a good wage but also will be looking for some security. That could be as much of a sticking point as a few £K either way.

4 years at £12k/m is £2.5m guaranteed.

2 years at £15k/m is £1.5m guaranteed. Then he'd be gambling on: his form staying up, not being injured, market still being as bouyant, being older so likely to get a shorter contract at 29.

Length of contract looks hyper critical and that could be our sticking point - esp if we think we'l be in the Prem within that timeframe.

12k a week you mean?

precisely. Another agent 'on the make'

Or doing his job?

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
I think the main issue is money. Glenn has said in interviews that things are completely different to when he put his transfer request in, that he is settled here and really enjoys playing for the club.

If you put yourself in Murray's shoes though: He's 27, and will only have maybe 4-5 years left of his prime, if that. He's currently playing the season of his life and will certainly be playing in the Championship next year. Every football player will want to play in the Premier League at some point in his life and for Glenn to do it, realisticly it needs to be in the next few years. Of course, there is every chance he could do that with us, but for him it's a matter of weighing up whether he'll get there quicker with us or another team, and how much he needs to be paid to stay with us, who are currently less likely to get to the promised land than some clubs who could bid for him. So I imagine he's fighting to get every penny he can to keep him here, and who can blame him?

In the club's perspective, of course we want to keep him as he is pure class, but we won't be able to compete with some of the clubs in the league above us if they came in for him. We don't want to be a club that offers over the top wages we cant afford. But he is happy here, you can see that from watching him play, so I think it's just a case of agreeing the right deal for both parties. Whether that deal gets agreed is yet to be seen, but I'm optimistic.

Ok put it this way. You start a new job and they pay you double to what you have been earning at your old place. You start your job and absolutely hate it after a couple of months. You just can settle in, you don't like the system and you don't like some of the people either. Do you then wish you had stayed where you where? Because part of a player has got to be about how happy you are at the club and money cannot always buy you happiness can it?

Chamberpot

Jan 5, 2010
I wonder what the deal could possibly be? Give him a price he's can't refuse, before it's too late!!!

Championship + Falmer + TBs vision for the Albion = fantastic opportunity for any striker, if Glenn turns it down, there will be others.

This in my opinion. It's of equal interest for both parties so never going to be any desperation in the mix I wouldn't think. Other factors include having a residence locally, mates as well as team-mates, and of course ambitions.
It doesn't require much reading, to remember that GM was encouraged to score more than 20 goals and has done that in impressing everyone. No player is bigger than the club though, but The Albion have to also be interested in coming through for someone who has proved their interest and workrate (just like with any job!).
Just time for negotiations, and with plenty of space and comfort to not be hurried or nervous about it.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Ok put it this way. You start a new job and they pay you double to what you have been earning at your old place. You start your job and absolutely hate it after a couple of months. You just can settle in, you don't like the system and you don't like some of the people either. Do you then wish you had stayed where you where? Because part of a player has got to be about how happy you are at the club and money cannot always buy you happiness can it?

But that was very much the situation when he came here for the first season or two...

Football is a very different business anyway. From what he's done with us over the years, even if he didn't settle in with a new club, he'd still be on a decent wage if he moved on again, even if back to a League One club. If it was me, knowing that I'd be able to get another job if I didn't like the better paid one, I'd take the risk on the better paid one to see if I liked it first.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I don't think any other club in the country would let a 27yr old 20 goal strikers contract elapse. The contract situation for Bridcutt, Dicker and Murray is a black spot in a great season. If if Murrays form dips he is still a 500K+ saleable asset Give him a 2yr contract where additional yrs kick in based on performance. I think he is worth 10-15K a week to a championship club. If we do not offer that we will lose him. This means we will have to play a million to replace him and probably 10-15K wages to attract another striker.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
And we can put in clauses to let him go if a club makes say an offer over 1.5million

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
If we are in the market for a £1 million pound striker you could arguee Glenn is in that bracket at the minutes so if I were Gus I would offer a very good contract to Glenn.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Glenn is 27, has done great this season but certainly isn't a Premiership striker imho. His best chance at the big contract is going to be with a Championship club which is what we are now by all but name.

It'll just be a matter of contract. Gus won't give into silly demands but will want him to know he's valued. Glenn Murray will be a Brighton player on August 6th 2011.

And that's as sure as Nigel Adkins not being at Southampton :wink:

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I think its all about money.

Murray wants to stay. Gus wants Murray to stay.

But if a club offer him far more than we can, I'm sure he'll be gone in the summer. If Brighton offer him close to the best deal, then I'm sure he'll stay. I think its that simple now.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
some other club will offer silly wages because there will be no fee.........i don't think he will stay.

a low premo club or bigger championship club will take him.

an extra 2k a week is ALOT of money.

There is always a fee, the fact he is out of contract just means the player gets it for signing on. Murrays market value after this season would be in excess of £1m..I would imagine he would want 500k in his pocket, whoever he signs for. There is no such thing as a FREE agent. Unless the player is utter shite, then no one wants them anyway.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
Personally I don't think it'll be the end of the world if he or anyone else moves on. I would love to see him stay but if not thanks and good luck to him. Gus will have a decent enough budget to work with and is astute enough to make it work. We are going places with or without Glenn.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
We're having the same situation with Neil Danns, also a very good player.

As with Murray, he's a Northern lad at heart so unfortunately they're both probably assessing their options before putting pen to paper.

I can see losing Murray being a huge loss for you though. I doubt there are any teams in the Championship who'd turn him down. I bet a club like Leeds will come in for him if he continues stalling.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
I don't read it like that.

I read it as more about Glenn (or his 'people')'s valuation of his financial worth with regard to his age, experience, effort, quality and so on against the club's valuation.

I could be way off, mind.

Sounds like superGlenn is holding out for some big money.

Would love to see him re-sign as he's been a hero this season & i think it'd be hard to get a player with similar qualitys. However i can see the clubs point of view if they don't want to pay lots to a player with no championship experience.

But if a club offer him far more than we can, I'm sure he'll be gone in the summer. If Brighton offer him close to the best deal, then I'm sure he'll stay. I think its that simple now.

After the recent Swindon game, Gus effectively said it's his wage demands that are getting in the way here.

http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/showthread.php?197518-Glenn-Murray-Better-than-Zamora&p=4030089&highlight=#post4030089

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I'll be gutted if he does go but won't blame him if he go and gets a better a deal elsewhere. Huge contract for him and based on this season he is going to be in demand basically he has set up an auction

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Nutshell.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
We're having the same situation with Neil Danns, also a very good player.

As with Murray, he's a Northern lad at heart so unfortunately they're both probably assessing their options before putting pen to paper.

I can see losing Murray being a huge loss for you though. I doubt there are any teams in the Championship who'd turn him down. I bet a club like Leeds will come in for him if he continues stalling.

Not sure it is all about money,length of contract maybe an issue.I'm sure his agent is selling him as if he is Lionel messi.
When promotion is finally secured I'm sure our pockets will become a bit deeper & he will sign a new contract.

I don't think teams in the premier league would be interested in him & how many teams in the championship are there that Murray would become a first choice striker without being seen as a step down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here