Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus looking for improved budget next season

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think he's being realistic, and not disrespectful - you have to admit that we're not playing football that should command a play off place - last week is reminder of how woeful we can be, we were just lucky that Forest's forward line was dire. Personally I don't want us to go up this year, I 'd be delighted if we finished top half and gave a good account of ourselves.
I think that's right. I'm NOT moaning, complaining, whining, etc, but although we've had three wins out of four they've all been hard-fought games against mid-table or lower teams which may have skewed our position slightly. In other words in this current little run we haven't really put a weak team to bed and we haven't beaten a top team. It's quite right that we should be aiming for the play-offs and building on what we've got, but maybe next year is more realistic.

Adam_Banana20

Nov 14, 2011
george boyd
jake livermore
billy sharp
and keep lewis dunk

done! cheers gus.
Billy sharp??If he didnn't go to Southampton then why would he go to Brighton?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Considering we're nearly halfway through the season and in sixth place, it's pretty disrespetful to the current players to suggest that this isn't a proper play-off challenge.

Suggest listen to entire interview on seagulls world . Gus more saying if we stay in touch ie 2 wins off play offs near end then who knows. Said begining of season didn't think ok , we are top 6 side , let's have a go but said this is how he wants to think next pre season if gets right players . Money answer was in reply to a loaded q really .

The whole article is longer than he excerpt clippedgull copied (I wouldn't expect anyone to type up the whole thing), but it does include the same comments dougal has mentioned. He isn't ruling out promotion this year, he is acknowledging that there are ten teams who *should* finish above us, that he didn't expect promotion this year, but we're where we are because we've been doing well enough and we will see where we are at the end of the year.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

For the same reason some saints fans think he might be willing to go to southampton in january - before, he was being loyal to sean o'driscoll not darlington. Since they got rid of him, now maybe sharp will be willing to leave.

Though it has also been noted that doncaster have been really supportive after the death of his child, so he may feel more of an obligation to them now, and/or that his wife and he may still need the support of family and friends so won't want to move very far.

D

Deleted member 18477

its an ideal list within a reasonable budget. dont shit your pants lol. why on earth would jake livermore go to brighton when im sure some prem teams would take him. they are players id love to have though!

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes

That's the sort of quote that makes other clubs fans hate you. Even my close Sourhampton fan friends despair of fans like you, because it is so far up your own arse to think that anybody that wouldn't go to you won't come here. Do yourself a favour, and take your SCC rose-tinted specs off for a few minutes.

Gus looks at players and managers. He can easily recognise a good player and he knows which teams are packed with them. Those are the teams that he expects to win promotion. If they don't, then it's down to the manager failing to get that team playing well enough to achieve their potential.

I suspect he looks at his own team and sees a mix of good players and average players - a team that he doesn't expect to win promotion. But, when we get results, it's because he's got them playing his way, at least some of the time. His way isn't just the tika-taka stuff, though. It's also about keeping clean sheets. We're currently seventh. He knows that we could be higher - but it will take better players to be certain of that. As a manager, he wants to get to that point of being certain. Because perfect football is the combination of great players and a great manager. Gus is never wholly satisfied if luck plays a part.

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
Gus looks at players and managers. He can easily recognise a good player and he knows which teams are packed with them. Those are the teams that he expects to win promotion. If they don't, then it's down to the manager failing to get that team playing well enough to achieve their potential.

I suspect he looks at his own team and sees a mix of good players and average players - a team that he doesn't expect to win promotion. But, when we get results, it's because he's got them playing his way, at least some of the time. His way isn't just the tika-taka stuff, though. It's also about keeping clean sheets. We're currently seventh. He knows that we could be higher - but it will take better players to be certain of that. As a manager, he wants to get to that point of being certain. Because perfect football is the combination of great players and a great manager. Gus is never wholly satisfied if luck plays a part.

I thought one of the points of the tika taka style was to help keep clean sheets by retaining position. The two work together.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
A massive clear-out is required at the end of the season and that includes nearly all CM's and the likes of caldy and painter:)

But yeah we certainly need 5/6 quality players:)

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
I can't understand this point of view at all. Not one bit. You'd turn down all that cash? Really?

If we go up and straight down again, we'd lose the nucleus of the side. If we challenge for a year or two, going up would mean an already strengthened team with 'all that cash' to further improve.

IMO

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Seriously? a massive clear out, I think that is a bit drastic, people seem to forget that the players, team as a whole and the club are adapting to the championship, overall I think we have done pretty well. We probably need three quality players to make a serious challenge for the play offs with Hoskins, Buckley, Vicente and Al Abd to return to fitness and Lua Lua hitting form and CMS to hit a goal scoring streak(not that I am undermining what a fantastic player he is). Anybody who is not happy with our start is not being being realistic in their expectations, I for one am very satisfied and am looking forward to the rest of the season.

A massive clear-out is required at the end of the season and that includes nearly all CM's and the likes of caldy and painter:)

But yeah we certainly need 5/6 quality players:)

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Seriously? a massive clear out, I think that is a bit drastic, people seem to forget that the players, team as a whole and the club are adapting to the championship, overall I think we have done pretty well. We probably need three quality players to make a serious challenge for the play offs with Hoskins, Buckley, Vicente and Al Abd to return to fitness and Lua Lua hitting form and CMS to hit a goal scoring streak(not that I am undermining what a fantastic player he is). Anybody who is not happy with our start is not being being realistic in their expectations, I for one am very satisfied and am looking forward to the rest of the season.
Drastic it is but we need 23 quality players,if we are to challenge i can assure you the likes of caldy,painter,dicker,navarro, sparrow,elphic,harley and maybe barnes plus some youngsters like bergkamp etc.

These types of players will not be good enough although i hope im proved wrong:)

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
Considering we're nearly halfway through the season and in sixth place, it's pretty disrespetful to the current players to suggest that this isn't a proper play-off challenge.

Our current regular team although doing well in this division would be cannon fodder in the premiership

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here