Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus isnt superstitious , every one except Dicker is ok

D

Deleted User X18H

Ziptak has gone. We are near to finding a new head of football operations and Dickers absence will affect selection as when he is on top of his game he understands the way Gus wants to
play. No mention of NSC.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I remember talking to Gus about Dicker last season. He said that (at the time) there was no one else in the team who could follow instructions like Dicker. He said something along the lines of

"If I tell him to get the ball to Lua Lua, bang. He does it. Give it to Nooney. Bang. Nobody else like him in the team. He's quality."

He really seemed to rate him and obviously still does. It's frustrating to see him struggle this year, the jump to the Championship has been huge for him. When he comes back he needs to be 1/2 a second quicker on the ball and 1/2 a yard more accurate with his passing. I hope he has a speedy recovery.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Without ignoring the fact that he has made the odd mistake this season stepping up a level (and let's face it, he is far from the only one), anyone who doesn't appreciate what Dicker contributes to our passing football and comes on here slagging him off might as well have a big sign above their avatar saying "I don't really understand football".

Just my opinion!

D

Deleted User X18H

Yeah that's is along the lines of what he said and mentioned set pieces as well I asked him how it would affect selection
but he didn't mention an individual that could replace him.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

D

Deleted User X18H

No shit Sherlock. Of course it will.
Gus isn't likely to select him when injured is he?

I didnt say HIS selection I was referring to that of other players and formation. Gus understood so that's all that matters eh .

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Without ignoring the fact that he has made the odd mistake this season stepping up a level (and let's face it, he is far from the only one), anyone who doesn't appreciate what Dicker contributes to our passing football and comes on here slagging him off might as well have a big sign above their avatar saying "I don't really understand football".

Just my opinion!

I dont think there's many people who doubt his ability it's just his lack of consistancy thats been his main problem, Once he sorts that out he'll progress better as a player.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
So when Dicker's fit Gus should stop giving instructions to dawdle around the pitch and slowly avoid the ball or opposiotn players

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I dont think there's many people who doubt his ability it's just his lack of consistancy thats been his main problem, Once he sorts that out he'll progress better as a player.

This. Dicker has seemed out of sorts recently.

HOWEVER it certainly hasnt helped when people like Harley have decided to go WALKABOUT/play hide and seek during a game.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
While a big fan of Dicker, one thing I'm surprised Gus doesn't get frustrated about with him occasionally is that he ALWAYS SLOWS PLAY RIGHT DOWN.

Any possible break always always always stops with Dicker. He is determined to play it sideways or backwards. When we are playing a patient build up game he can be fantastic. But sometimes (with players like LuaLua, CMS, Buckley, Noone) on the pitch, if you can successfully break you've got a good chance for a goal.

Also Gary is TERRIFIED of shooting, and will often end up giving the ball away in a shooting situation, as he is determined not to have a pop. Which is bizarre, considering his Goal of the Season a couple of years back.

Last edited:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
So when Dicker's fit Gus should stop giving instructions to dawdle around the pitch and slowly avoid the ball or opposiotn players

See, its rehashing an old argument, but I honestly cannot understand where you have come to that conclusion from. Every game this season he has won some fantastic tackles and played some great balls that have made me and the people around me comment on it, and then every time I come on here that evening to read people say he didn't do anything. I genuinely cannot understand this - is the view from the North that bad that I am completely mistaken?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I dont think there's many people who doubt his ability

Unfortunately, there are constantly LOADS of "Dicker isn't upto it at this level" comments. I have no doubt they are in the minority, but as always they are the vocal minority. Just annoys me that there always has to be someone that people constantly witch-hunt, whether it's Dicker, Barnes, Davies, Martot etc etc. There are more closed-minds on here than at a BNP conference.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
While a big fan of Dicker, one thing I'm surprised Gus doesn't get frustrated about with him occasionally is that he ALWAYS SLOWS PLAY RIGHT DOWN.

Any possible break always always always stops with Dicker. He is determined to play it sideways or backwards. When we are playing a patient build up game he can be fantastic. But sometimes (with players like LuaLua, CMS, Buckley, Noone) on the pitch, if you can successfully break you've got a good chance for a goal.

Also Gary is TERRIFIED of shooting, and will often end up giving the ball away in a shooting situation, as he is determined not to have a pop. Which is bizarre, considering his Goal of the Season a couple of years back.

For me this sums Dicker up perfectly.

Its a SHAME he is injured but I really really do think he was due a "rest".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here