Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus, Greatest manager we have ever had?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Do people really believe this? or is it an age thing? Personally I'm in my 40th year and I do think Gus has been really great for this club so far. But greatest ever?...I cant go back further than the 70's and speak with any personal experience but.

Mullery, yes he had the backing but he is still the only man to get us into the top flight.
Bailey, Got us to our highest ever finish in the league.
Lloyd, Got us promoted from what is now(league 1 as has Gus) then took us to within 90mins of the Prem.With both hands and legs tied behind his back.
McGhee, Got us promoted and keep us in the Championship with both hands and legs tied behind his back and no Zamora either.

I'm not slagging Gus off but he has something to prove yet, to keep being described as the greatest manager we have ever had. He needs to come up with a plan b to start with and except that just maybe, he isn't always right about everything. There is nothing wrong with making mistakes, as long as you learn from them. Gus has yet to prove he does learn, as we have clearly been worked out atm.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
No.

Although he could become the best manager if he gets us up again and keeps us up.

He needs to keep his gob shut thow as this will get him in trouble and concentrate on what he is good at - coaching.

The next couple of month will show us if he is that good. He's got to deal with a pressure he has not had before and his tactics and player purchases are going to be crucial to stop a slide down the table.

If he comes through this with the backing of Bloom he can become a true great.

Last edited:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I agree, last season was probably the best in my time supporting (since the 90s) but in terms of tangible achievments he's done what Peter Taylor did.

Potentially our best ever manager, if he stays long enough.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
maybe it was brian clough! inadvertently

he bought peter taylor with him,who stayed on and built the team up for mullers to carry on the excellent work,which he did,that was a great era for the albion,because the expectantcy wasn't there then

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Clough is our best ever manager.

Clough is one of the best, if not the best Manager this country has ever seen. What he done with clubs like Derby and Forest I dont think will ever be matched. But he was not a great manager for Brighton and Hove Albion even if he did start to lay some foundations.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
He's the best I've seen in my 21 years going to games. Comparing him to Barry Lloyd is laughable.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
To be fair to Barry Lloyd he got us promoted and to within one game of the premiership with no money and with a board which was a joke.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
yes
Had, means something you possessed in the past. But u don't have it now.
Had, means past or something u had before but don't have it now.

Sorry, I'm just a humble manual worker...I thought if I stated that my car is the best car I've ever had, does not mean I've sold it....It's not by the way,it's a shit heap!!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Micky Adams #1 put together a team on a shoestring budget that became a dynasty. It built from the back, had a steely midfield and was blessed with the Zamora-Brooker understanding. Such a great team that it gave Taylor a simple steering job to the Double Championes. Certainly did a far better job than McGhee, and, in terms of building a strong and balanced core team, is certainly the equal of anything Poyet has yet achieved.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
To be fair to Barry Lloyd he got us promoted and to within one game of the premiership with no money and with a board which was a joke.

And bought in players like Rougvie, Dublin, Nelson, Byrne, Small, and many others. Yes selling players like Saunders for 50k and many other terrible deal but I dont belive for one minute Lloyd had any control over that. I really think the bloke gets a bad press, when the times he was working in for the club were the worst in living memory for a bunch of wankers. To put is mildly.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No but he is getting there by hopefully learning as he goes along. Peter Taylor #1, Alan Mullery & Mike Bailey for me.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Sorry, I'm just a humble manual worker...I thought if I stated that my car is the best car I've ever had, does not mean I've sold it....It's not by the way,it's a shit heap!!

lol @sht heap

Any way yes in my opinion Gus is the best manager we had/have.

If he can get us into the Premiership in the next couple of seasons then he can rank alongside Mullers.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
And bought in players like Rougvie, Dublin, Nelson, Byrne, Small, and many others. Yes selling players like Saunders for 50k and many other terrible deal but I dont belive for one minute Lloyd had any control over that. I really think the bloke gets a bad press, when the times he was working in for the club were the worst in living memory for a bunch of wankers. To put is mildly.

Agreed and he had very thick skin dealing the flack he got from the fans who did not know how bad is was behind the seens.

Would be interesting to see if others could have sticked it for so long or if they could have kept us in the 2nd tier for as long as he did with no money.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Gus produced a team that have played the best football I have ever seen at the albion (suppoted since late 70's). Gus is a good manager, he has the potential to be a great manager but needs to do one of two things, sign the players that can play the 'Gus' way or learn to be a little more flexible with tactics. I am beginning to get frustrated with the team, they are not maintaining possession and they are not creating enough.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch

this

doug rougvie was a great signing,one of the best centre-halfs we've HAD (hope i 've used the word right there,thick manual worker myself) considering he played as a full back at chelsea most of the time and barry lloyd got more out of garry nelson than anyone else,as you say,he HAD no control over the dean saunders situation,done a great job,all things considered

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here