Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus favourite for Swansea job

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
Brighton fan? You're having a laugh...

As a Brighton fan, you're spot on in your observation. There is far more more misplaced fantasy in the self publicising Poyet than actual substance. He's not a patch on Rodgers imho. Gus attempts to play the Swansea way, it worked for 1 season in league 1, but I can promise you that whilst it sometimes looks like Swansea, more often than not, it doesn't really work, is lacklustre and we often look devoid of ideas. A lot of his purchases have been flops. You got Ryan Harley on a free and after Brendon realised he is dog s**t, we paid 250k for him and he is useless.

Poyet has 4 years left of his contract and a 3 million buyout.

If you want him and are willing to buy him out, call it 2 million and I will gladly drive him there this evening!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Brighton fan? You're having a laugh...

Hmmmm, not exactly the concensual position............ a minority view? a palace fan? or someone deliberately trying to put off their fans from wanting Poyet?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Hmmmm, not exactly the concensual position............ a minority view? a palace fan? or someone deliberately trying to put off their fans from wanting Poyet?

I did wonder.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Personally,I would be surprised if any Prem club took the risk of appointing Gus.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
That 6-0 drubbing must have hurt even more then

Then he should have picked a team that could actually compete... it's not just him that was p1ssed off at Upton park...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Surely, he won't go to Swansea!? He can't take them any further forward than they are now (which is why BR left BTW), so would be a daft move IMHO...

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
From This is South Wales:

BARCELONA legend Michael Laudrup has emerged as a strong contender to be Swansea City's next manager.

The former Danish international, who starred for Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus during a glittering career, is now one of the favourites for the Liberty Stadium hot seat.

Gus Poyet, who is understood to be keen on the job, is also thought to be on Swansea's short list, while Blackpool's Ian Holloway was last night installed as the bookies' new favourite.

But Laudrup has been heavily backed over the weekend as Swansea search for a successor to Brendan Rodgers.

Success

One of the most gifted players of his generation, he spent six seasons with Juventus in the 1980s before making the move to Barcelona.

He was a massive success at the Nou Camp, winning four La Liga titles and being a key part of the team that lifted the European Cup in 1992.

He then moved to Real Madrid, where another league title came his way.

He has also enjoyed success as a manager, winning the Danish title with Brondby, before moving to Spain and taking Getafe to the Spanish Cup final and the quarter-finals of the Uefa Cup.

His last managerial job was with Mallorca, who he steered away from relegation before resigning last autumn.

What will appeal to the Liberty hierarchy is the attractive free-flowing football he encourages his teams to adopt, a style which has been Swansea's trademark in recent seasons.

Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins has been forced to go back to the drawing board after talks with his No. 1 target — Graeme Jones — stalled over the weekend.

Reluctant

The Wigan assistant manager, highly rated at the Liberty after his stint as Roberto Martinez's No. 2, is understood to be reluctant to take a position at the helm for the first time.

That may not mean the matter is necessarily over as Jenkins may yet make a second bid to land a man who was first interviewed for the position before Rodgers got the job in the summer of 2010.

Latest odds: 11-4 Ian Holloway, 3 Graeme Jones, 5 Gus Poyet, Michael Laudrup, 10 Dave Jones, 12 Chris Hughton, 14 Karl Robinson, Alan Curbishley, 16 Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Lee Clark.

Odds supplied by Ladbrokes.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
From This is South Wales:

BARCELONA legend Michael Laudrup has emerged as a strong contender to be Swansea City's next manager.

The former Danish international, who starred for Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus during a glittering career, is now one of the favourites for the Liberty Stadium hot seat.

Gus Poyet, who is understood to be keen on the job, is also thought to be on Swansea's short list, while Blackpool's Ian Holloway was last night installed as the bookies' new favourite.

"... is understood to be keen on the job ..." in this case means "might be interested in it, but since nobody but Poyet knows and he hasn't said anything, I'll just punt it out there as if I've got some inside knowledge - and no-one will be able to contradict me since there's absolutely no evidence one way or the other."

What we in the trade call 'journalistic shorthand.'

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Surely, he won't go to Swansea!? He can't take them any further forward than they are now (which is why BR left BTW), so would be a daft move IMHO...

Absolutely! This is why I'm not all that worried about Swansea or Norwich, whereas the Villa job has terrified me all along. He wouldn't take Villa anywhere but up the table.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here