Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus and the FA Cup

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
No No No Ben12360! You have it all wrong they must stay locked away and only bought out against the lesser clubs…..
God/Allah/Buddha (whoever) forbid we should sell a player!

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
Spot on GT49r! Why do we pay these players huge amounts in wages week in week out if we dont want to play them!

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Brighton boss Gus Poyet is hoping his FA Cup record against Newcastle United can continue on Saturday in the weekend's first tie.

The Uruguayan led his side to a Fourth Round victory over the Magpies last season and was also a thorn in their side during his playing days with Chelsea and Spurs.

He scored two goals against them for Chelsea in the Semi-Final of 2000 at Wembley, before helping the Blues to win The Cup against Aston Villa a few months later.

And now Poyet’s Championship high-fliers take on Newcastle at the Amex Stadium for a place in the Fourth Round.

He exclusively told FATV: "First and most, they are a fantastic club and every time I've played against them, especially in the north-east, the atmosphere is unbelievable.

"I was lucky enough to have the chance to score a few goals against them so my relationship with the Newcastle fans is probably a little bit of hate from them, but I'm sure that they like me as well.

"When you play against a team and you do so well, there are a few who probably like you, or they would like you to play for them!”

Poyet also believes The FA Cup is best cup competition in the world, so wants his side to progress as far as possible.

After a career with clubs in Uruguay, Spain and England, he’s experienced numerous football competitions but admits winning The Cup with Chelsea stands out.

"When you are a foreigner watching English football and you see that red carpet and the managers with the big flower, any player who comes to England is thinking that if they’re lucky enough, they will be able to play once in The FA Cup Final,” he added.

"So to be able to play in one and win it is even better.

"I say this coming from Uruguay, where there is no cup and from Spain where there is the Copa Del Rey, but The FA Cup is the greatest cup in the world.”

Last season’s tie between the clubs saw a narrow victory for Brighton thanks to a Mike Williamson own goal, so Alan Pardew’s side will want to avenge that.

And Poyet admits that another match against Newcastle wasn’t exactly the tie that he was looking for in December's Third Round draw.

He added: "When you are not in the Premier League, you want to play against every single one of them, but at different times.

"But it's going to be difficult and I'm sure the Newcastle players will want to come here and show they are better than us, because they are better than us.”

Seems pretty conclusive. But he could just be paying it lip service? I don't doubt that he loves the FA Cup, but I'm sure he'd rather finish in the top 6 than make it to the Quarter Finals, for example (not that they are mutually exclusive events).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Maybe I wasn't clear, I assume that we will play a full team against Newcastle, the question was if we fielded a weakened side in the next round, assuming we beat Newcastle, should we have surged up the table and be in a strong play off position or possibly with a tilt at auto. If we play a big team again, of course we will play a full team, especially at home. It was more a question of whether you'd be bothered too much if we'd then concentrate on promotion and play a weakened side in an away game against maybe someone like Preston or Scunthorpe ( or the like assuming that they are out of the cup.

As I said, in retrospect and I didn't agree at the time, I think Gus got it spot on in concentrating on promotion from league 1, if we found ourselves in a great position come the next round would you feel really put our if we didn't field our strongest team against lesser opposition?

If we are still mid table then obviously a full team is a no brainer but if we were challenging for promotion, would it be reasonable for the cup to take a back seat?

Strongest team in every game.

People who are paying deserve it;the players in the strongest team deserve it.Whichever competition it is deserves it.

Basically the Albion are a smallish fish in English football.We are not serious competitors at the highest level,and the prospects are,we never will be.

Leave "weakened team syndrome" to those few clubs whose reserves will probably win whichever team they play,and whose supporters don't mind watching reserve teams of international footballers being given a go.

"Resting" against Newcastle would be an insult to the folk who've paid top money for the game,and would not guarantee a better league finish. It's a nonsense.

That, plus the comments that it may tempt some armchair fans to come to a game also that Scouts from other teams probably don't rely on televised games to check out a player.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Play to win it. I would LOVE to see us put a cup run together.. there's always the fear it'd affect league form but right now I don't care!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I would love a full strength side to give it a right go.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Part of our problem this season has been the inconsistency in the starting eleven (some decisions forced some not)

If we have any aspirations of going up we need to gain consistency and that means treating the cup games with the same approach as the league. I don't mind us being a bit more cavalier in the cup game in how we setup but the idea of breaking up a winning team and fielding reserves is neither needed or should be considered for a club of our size

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I would love a full strength side to give it a right go.

And me. Newcastle are there for the taking if we put out our strongest side (& Pardew's record against us is wonderously woeful).

ATTACK. ATTACK. ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK! :vuvu:

*Awaits changes aplenty & a sound drubbing from the Bar Codes*

misterspatch

Oct 16, 2011
Horsham
I would love if we smashed them 3-0 or more and so therefore a strong team is important but if we get someone like United or City we might just throw in the towel.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Jacob

Jan 2, 2013
We should field our best squad, Newcastle are not in form right now and beating them would be a great confidence boost for the squad.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It's the biggest and most important game of the season so far: you can lose a league game and still get promoted, lose in the FA Cup and you're out. With those facts in mind (plus the fact it's full price) I would sincerely hope we'll see our strongest possible team on Saturday. I'm not too sure what our strongest team is, but it's certainly not the time to be giving run-outs to fringe/youth players.

I concur with comrade Brovion. Hail!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The best reason I can think of to take it seriously is that it will create a winning mentality and a bit of much needed momentum. And we're perfectly capable of beating an out of sorts Premiership team, especially as we completely OWN Pardew.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here