Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus....."A striker and somebody special"

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
It is a statement of intent, we have given ourselves a great chance now of a top 6 finish so if we need a player or 2 you can bet TB will back Gus

This.

Anyone who attended the 1901 presentations and were lucky nough to get the man himself (TB) will know that he said "when we are in the premiership" about half a dozen times.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I read that as no special player but if one comes up we'll take it......obvious stuff

Also implies this striker isnt a household name. Perhaps it is a lower league player, Rhodes surely be considered "special" so dont think it is him

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I do wonder if the targets for the season have been adjusted given the fantastic start we've had. I always felt we would spend enough not to be flirting with any relegation battle, but not to spend silly money for this division. Maybe, just maybe, in the light of the start, they are starting to think that promotion this year could be a realistic target. Just a guess, like.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is this a case of more speculate to accumulate by TB as the financial rewards on promotion are fantastic and perhaps he has got the bug. Wouldn't Blackpool liked to have had a chairman with that type of outlook.

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Someone commented "Boyd & Rhodes" on the Argus site to which Mark by the Sea, who has a reasonable record I believe has replied "You're halfway there".

gull-able

Banned
Jan 21, 2009
I am led to believe fee has been agreed for boyd , its down to personal terms. With regards someone special the difference now is players want to come here and Gus is getting a lot of calls off agents, and if a special player becomes available he won't day no ...........exciting times

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
Someone commented "Boyd & Rhodes" on the Argus site to which Mark by the Sea, who has a reasonable record I believe has replied "You're halfway there".

TBF, that bloke is a complete toss pot and revels in his 'celebrity' as someone ITK. The amount of people that hang off everyone of his words is ridiculous!

EDIT: Ok, maybe a it of a unfair comment but you get my point.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Whoever it is and whether Gus gets his man or not, he wants a top 6 finish. He may not openly come out and say it, and quite understandably so, but you don't go unbeaten in August and end the month top of the league and STILL want a target man striker and a 'special' player if you don't want promotion.

It's nowt to do with what finish Gus wants. Tony B, a week after we had won the title, said two words to one of the Directors regarding next seasons expectations 'Straight Up'

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Earlier posts have mentioned that this may indicate we will sign Rhodes and Boyd. Rhodes would be the striker, so are they saying Boyd is the special player? I don't think Boyd could be classified as "Special". He's a great player, but in comparision to our squad I can't see the "Special" player Gus refers to being him.

Like others, I don't think there is one special player. I think because of our position in the table it has opened up a few avenues Gus may have not have considered exploring before and this may lead to a player being interested in joining us who we would never have dreamt would want to play for us. Exciting times.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I think the special comment is Gus sounding out agents and saying we would take a special player if there is interest in him joining us even if we look like we have that position covered already. Not sure about Boyd or Rhodes, from the noises Gus has made all summer he wants an experienced Championship striker who would improve what we have, we currently have 3 of the best 4 strikers from last seasons league 1 and I don't see how Boyd would improve us

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I am led to believe fee has been agreed for boyd , its down to personal terms. With regards someone special the difference now is players want to come here and Gus is getting a lot of calls off agents, and if a special player becomes available he won't day no ...........exciting times

Boyd? Don't believe it.
Gus has just bemoaned the 5 sub rule with regards who he has already signed. We have KLL, Noone, Buckley, Harley, Sparrow, JFC, Smith all competing for the attacking midfield positions. At the moment AT LEAST 2 of those isn't even getting into the match day squad. Once Buckley and Hoskins are back it's going to be even tighter. I just can't see it.
I'm not sure he is better than Harley or Buckley either (he isn't).

Last edited:

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Apologies if I was a little excited by Gus' comments and of course people are right to put a damper on speculation.
However please bear with me while I explain my reaction............................ it isn't unreasonable to suggest that if Gus thought a striker deal would be done by yesterday (his words) then it is very near completion. Now of course it need not be Rhodes although the timing of an expected deal and the emergence of rumours at the Huddersfield end are a tad coincidental. We also have Bednar, Hulse etc "in the popular frame and there could easily be others we don't know of or names we have discounted. It WOULD be a major surprise though if we were not to have a new striker in by tomorrow night based on what Gus says here and what he has said previously.

Now to Boyd..................... rumours started on twitter last night and seemed to start their end not ours. When CMS was promised he would be released by Posh if he stayed with them for their promotion push last season it was widely reported that Boyd got a similar assurance. Gus said over the weekend that he was now being offered good players but had to say no because he didn't need someone in their positions. Now he seems to be alluding to a special player being available and of course it could be 2+2 = 5 but it could also be that Boyd has been offered and I'm sure that most of our fans would agree he is special and would be too good to turn down if a deal could be done. Of course it could be someone else but if you look at Gus' words it is hard to think that someone hasn't suddenly become available that he hadn't expected but would like if he can close a deal.

Interpretation? Yes but a reasonable one in my view
Speculation? Absolutely but rather on here than that dreadful rumours site. At least we have the opportunity to discuss and to rationalise......................and besides it passes the time until some sort of deal is done :)

gull-able

Banned
Jan 21, 2009
Boyd? Don't believe it.
Gus has just bemoaned the 5 sub rule with regards who he has already signed. We have KLL, Noone, Buckley, Harley, Sparrow, JFC all competing for the attacking midfield positions. At the moment AT LEAST 2 of those isn't even getting into the match day squad. Once Buckley and Hoskins are back it's going to be even tighter. I just can't see it.
I'm not sure he is better than Harley or Buckley either (he isn't).

Boyd is a striker, has played there before and has goals to games ratio to prove it also six foot two with a presence

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
Not sure Jordan Rhodes is all that special is he?

Boyd on the other hand is a very good player. Not an area we desperately need a player but if we can get him then go for it.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
there are lots of our players been linked with other clubs and forgive me for suggesting this but maybe just maybe one or two might be going hence any interest in Boydd and if I read Gus right a square peg has to be a square peg not slightly square he is a very precise person.

just a thought

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
this assessment of Boyd (in comparison to CMS) from the local Peterborough paper. Not special?

GEORGE BOYD

Club; Posh.

Career apps: 227

Career goals: 63

Pace: Some say it’s a lack of pace that has stopped him reaching the very top. He’s not slow even if he tends to beat opponents with skill rather than speed.

Finishing: He does tend to hit the target when he gets round to shooting (please stop dribbling onto your weaker right foot George!) and he has an ability to drill low and hard into corners. Scoring ratio not bad for someone who is not an out and out forward.

Workrate: There can be no complaints about this side of his game, it’s really improved in recent seasons. Always tracks back when team loses possession.

Heading: It’s not unfair to say that he much prefers the ball at his feet. Does win the occasional header, but not many. According to Wikipedia he’s only ever scored four headed goals!

Technical ability: Outstanding technician. Ball rarely leaves his foot unless he slips over which he does far too often.

Attitude: Spot on. A naturally quiet man he has never given the club any problems even though he’s constantly been the subject of intense transfer speculation. Gets his head down and plays.

Vision: Not bad, Could get his head up a bit quicker when starting out on one of his mazy dribbles.

TOTAL: 54

CRAIG MACKAIL-SMITH

Clubs: Posh, Brighton.

Career apps: 217

Career goals: 102

Pace: Exceptional no matter what some of those clowns on Sky reckon (yes Scott Minto you). And he’s still rapid when others are flagging.

Finishing: It was average just two seasons ago, now it is excellent. His scoring record is not far off the striker’s Holy Grail of one goal every two games. He scores all sorts of goals as well, headers, tap-ins, volleys, one-on-ones.

Workrate: If there’s a harder working player in the entire football world I haven’t seen him. Relentless runner. some-one who never hides.

Heading: Another skill he used to lack, but he’s worked on his all-round game so well he is now deadly with his head. He’s not Derek Dougan, but he’s almost up there with Aaron Mclean.

Technical ability: Still better when he is chasing a ball than receiving it, but a pass sticks more often than not and far more often than it used to.

Attitude: It’s perfect. Has anyone ever seen him give up a chase, shirk a challenge with a bigger man or hide when his game is not at its best? No me neither.

Vision: If he has a weakness this might be it, although concentrating solely on scoring is never a really bad thing in a striker.

TOTAL: 59

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Boyd is a Palace fan, he grew up watching them according to wiki. Great player though. I am just not sure that Fergie jr will let him go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here