Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gullys Gang Open Day

Have to say I didn't take the mini TrickyOnes' this year but have come away with most of the autographs' in previous years. Funny tho' cos I've just bumped into Charlie Oatway in Shoreham..which was nice!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Bum fight, appreciate it is for free but what today taught my lad is not do as the stewards ask and wait politely but barge in, push others out the way and go on to the track. Players did their best but stewards were saying to kids if you are on the track you do not get an autograph - in fact it was the opposite. I must admit I told him to ignore the steward to get Bennos autograph, but it is not right.

Should have been organised over 2/3 days given our success this season.

I'd say that ignoring stewards is a pretty important thing to learn?

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Overall think it was a great day and credit to the club and players for their time. Lessons can obviously be learned.

Gates opened at 9.00. Players arrived for training session 10.30 which lasted well over an hour so some children spent over 3 hrs in sun before the players came over.

I didn't know whether 200 or 500 would be there but didn't expect about 2500 and the parking problems these numbers presented.

Think you had to make the most of it, daughter managed to get 20 squad autographs and photos signed, though we also did hang around after to catch a few players leaving. We found them all very personable and credit to club, though we didn't manage to catch Greer and shame Gus wasn't there.

I think if its autographs children want its generally better to catch players before or after game and not at events such as this and it will probably become increasingly difficult in the future

Oh, and PLEASE PLEASE................NO JACK THE LAD at the Amex

Last edited:

Biggest problem of the whole day was the ignorance of many and the refusal of the adults to show some decorum and get organised. Some of the comments that were being levied at the staff beggared belief and the players were actutely aware of this and appeared to move on when necessary to avoid 'situations'.

Perhaps people should write to the club and vent their anger? Then the club can decide if it should bother to do another next year.

I thought the day was a good result and a great showing from the supporters, my son didn't get what he really desired form the day but enjoyed himself no less.

As for the dad-and-lad Liverpool combo - I guess that is all Oxfam had in last week.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I think those in the north stand stood more of a chance. We were in the east stand and it was quite a nasty crush until the gate was opened and children were allowed on the track.

Having said that it was a good day.and my boys loved it. They got loads of signatures at the Xmas party and so got one today they didnt have, Chris wood. They enjoyed the bouncy castle. I reckon there was over 2.5k there today being a full north stand, and half full family and east stands. Isn't it great that our club is this popular. Knew it would be busy so had drinks, snacks and sun cream and hats for the boys so no stress about long queues for poor chips. We got our ice cream whilst there signatures were starting and no queue.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
It is free etc BUT...... it would have been safer to allow all onto the track as in previous years and for the kids to wander and get the autographs and pictures they wanted. As it was, there was a crush down to the front of the stands around the one or two players stood in front of that particular stand. Those who did go onto the track were still given autographs anyway (despite being told to get off). The players did their best - but they were signing for approx 40 mins and left with many still waiting. Its free but could do better.

libra-gully

Jan 26, 2011
Lets start at the beginning, it was free! That said there is no reason why lessons cannot be learnt so that next year at Falmer it will be even better.

1. To start off with, last year there was only half the amount of people, as there was today. This was for several reasons, it was a nice day, the team are doing well, but also it is the second week of school holidays and lots of parents by now are looking for somewhere different to go. If it had been held last week as first planned, the attendance may well have been smaller.

2. Last year, all there was was Gully and his siblings, and the team training. To the credit of Sally-Ann who was in charge, she added the face painting, ice cream van, bouncy castle and the penalty shooting. So well done her.

3. Again last year, maybe because of the numbers involved, everybody stayed behind the barriers for the whole time. This allowed the players and Gully's lot to walk up and down a lot quicker, than the scrums of today.

4. Whilst the club puts this on free, so do most other clubs. If we want to be taken seriously, then days like today should be standard.

5. The amount of premiership shirts worn by kids was alarming. What sort of numbskull takes his off spring to an Albion event wearing Man Ure kit. Beggars belief, but that is down to the parents not the kids.

6. In hindsight, the ice cream vans & food outlets were in addition to last year, but the queues were silly, particularly in that heat. Lesson for next year, more provisions.

7. Gully and siblings. As mentioned previously, last year they were able to walk up and down easily. Today was chaos at best, with the very young kids being squashed/scared out of their wits by bigger kids and bloody parents who should know better.

It must be remembered that those inside the costumes can only do so legally for a certain time at a time. (Health & safety) In that heat, I think those today did a very good job. Well done!

8. PA system was crap everywhere. Nothing new there then. I cannot think it will be this bad at Falmer. Please!!

9. The volume today could not be 'dealt with' by only having one parent to child. Most parents were there on their own, but it was purely the volume of children there. When you think we have 10,000 members it is not surprising.

10. WHERE WAS GUS??

Overall, not a bad effort, but plenty to learn for next time.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I saw the bloke in the Liverpool top with his son who also had the full Liverpool kit on and they both had Gerrard on the back.Also saw a lad in a Millwall shirt!
The trouble was,there were a lot more there than last years event.Everyone just pored on the running track last year to get autographs and after the initial chaos it worked ok,but i suppose they thought it was just too busy to do that today.Hopeless in block W trying to get Dunk and woods autographs but we went round the North stand and got a few there.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Lets start at the beginning, it was free! That said there is no reason why lessons cannot be learnt so that next year at Falmer it will be even better.

1. To start off with, last year there was only half the amount of people, as there was today. This was for several reasons, it was a nice day, the team are doing well, but also it is the second week of school holidays and lots of parents by now are looking for somewhere different to go. If it had been held last week as first planned, the attendance may well have been smaller.

2. Last year, all there was was Gully and his siblings, and the team training. To the credit of Sally-Ann who was in charge, she added the face painting, ice cream van, bouncy castle and the penalty shooting. So well done her.

3. Again last year, maybe because of the numbers involved, everybody stayed behind the barriers for the whole time. This allowed the players and Gully's lot to walk up and down a lot quicker, than the scrums of today.

4. Whilst the club puts this on free, so do most other clubs. If we want to be taken seriously, then days like today should be standard.

5. The amount of premiership shirts worn by kids was alarming. What sort of numbskull takes his off spring to an Albion event wearing Man Ure kit. Beggars belief, but that is down to the parents not the kids.

6. In hindsight, the ice cream vans & food outlets were in addition to last year, but the queues were silly, particularly in that heat. Lesson for next year, more provisions.

7. Gully and siblings. As mentioned previously, last year they were able to walk up and down easily. Today was chaos at best, with the very young kids being squashed/scared out of their wits by bigger kids and bloody parents who should know better.

It must be remembered that those inside the costumes can only do so legally for a certain time at a time. (Health & safety) In that heat, I think those today did a very good job. Well done!

8. PA system was crap everywhere. Nothing new there then. I cannot think it will be this bad at Falmer. Please!!

9. The volume today could not be 'dealt with' by only having one parent to child. Most parents were there on their own, but it was purely the volume of children there. When you think we have 10,000 members it is not surprising.

10. WHERE WAS GUS??

Overall, not a bad effort, but plenty to learn for next time.

I asked Tano where Gus was and he said he was watching his son play for Uruguay under 17's against France i think.

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
Can't believe the moaning on this thread.

3500 kids turned up. That's incredible, about half the average home gate for this season.

5 years ago we'd have been lucky to get 1000.

It's free, and the turnout was unprecedented. Give the club some praise, not some stick, for crying out loud.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Re Premiership shirts - last year my Chelsea supporting half brother turned up at the Christmas Seagulls Party in a Chelsea shirt much to my disgust. On approaching Gus for an autograph, Gus exclaimed "At last - someone in a decent shirt!"

rjbseagull

Apr 27, 2010
Fair play to the club for putting the day on, but didnt understand why they didnt do the autograph signing on the athletics track like they have done in previous years. Would have been far more space and would have allowed the kids to have get around to all the players, instead of just the ones by their stand.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
A pedant says Diego is playing for England Under 17's against Ururguay.

And captain to boot, Gus must be well proud but a little peed its against his country!

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Re Premiership shirts - last year my Chelsea supporting half brother turned up at the Christmas Seagulls Party in a Chelsea shirt much to my disgust. On approaching Gus for an autograph, Gus exclaimed "At last - someone in a decent shirt!"

I saw a few chelsea fans at last years party, all shook Gus' hand so they are at least real Chelsea fans, I doubt the same could be said of the various prem. league shirts on display this morning. That Millwall shirt was probably the son of that guy who was posting on here earlier this season saying how he was a lifelong Millwall fan but had started taking his son to Brighton matches...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's beyond belief that someone would turn up to an event such as this wearing the shirt of an opposing team.

That will change though, we're still quite early on in the change process going on around the club.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
It's beyond belief that someone would turn up to an event such as this wearing the shirt of an opposing team.

That will change though, we're still quite early on in the change process going on around the club.

I hope so. I didn't see anyone in another replica shirt thankfully. If they are not Albion fans, they should be refused entry.

Well done to the players for staying out longer than they were offically allowed although next year it needs to be better organised with proper queues for each player and not degenerate into the free-for-all we witnessed today.

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
I agree with some of the comments but surely they should have been prepared it was obvious more people were going to turn plus the fact it was a hot day!! I queued for over 15mins just to be told they had just run out of water and only had two bottles coke left. Luckily when I walked back round to the North stand some one was selling water and cheaper!

I was disppointed as you were not allowed on the running track to meet the players and get autographs as last year my son got everyone's autograph on his shirt. I understand why but we left as by then it was too much and we left plus he is only 3!!

DanielT

We went aong and left well before it finished. I realised with the numbers there that we weren't going to get any/many autographs and it was very hot in the sun for my young lad.
The club do well to enourage this kind of thing and well done to them, we're champions and everybody wants a piece at the moment - but they did the best they could.

As mentioned before and I agree, my only gripe is the amount of "bigger club" shirts being worn. Those kids could/should be given a Brighton t-shirt to wear instead of "their favourite current successful team"

Saw you there today, but didn't want to call out "scooter" across the ice-cream van queue!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here