Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gully's Chip Shop.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I have just heard that the chip shop near the ground is having to change it's name.

Also the Hikers have been told to change the name of The seagulls bar.

Now I don't frequent either of these places, but is there any truth in what I have been told.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Seems a bit harsh if true. Isn't the chippy called Gulls with a logo that looks a bit like our old badge from the Goldstone era? I'm not sure the club could insist on a change to be honest.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Correct me if Im wrong but hasnt the 'Seagulls bar' been called that for years

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
This must be bollocks. The club would have no legal standing in insisted on a name change of any business or establishment in Brighton or anywhere else which uses the seagull or gull as its logo or name. Nor would it for any business that uses Albion - of which there are a few that I know of.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
This must be bollocks. The club would have no legal standing in insisted on a name change of any business or establishment in Brighton or anywhere else which uses the seagull or gull as its logo or name. Nor would it for any business that uses Albion - of which there are a few that I know of.

I hope it is just what you said, but I heard it today form an old mate.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Really can't see this being fact to be honest, in and around Brighton there must be many places with some sort of connection to our wondrous team.

And as anal as any football team board can be, I just don't want to believe that ours could get like that so quickly after Withdean.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Correct me if Im wrong but hasnt the 'Seagulls bar' been called that for years

Certainly has.

Christ they even had the old badge by their pool tables. HUGE it is and all sorts of newspaper cuttings in the bogs.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Sounds like a rumour to me.

Anyhow, I doubt if the club owns the naming rights for Gully's or seagulls so unenforceable even if they wanted to. They'll own the branding rights and can ask for them to be taken down, but the word seagulls in relation to a bar and Gully's in relation to a fish and chip shop they will not.

I can't imagine this is true in the slightest.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I'm not having a go at the club-just saying that it wouldn't surprise me if it turns out to be true.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Nor me.

However surely we have to know it's true before we start another rant at the club?

Would it warrant a rant anyway?

I thought the owners of that chip shop got it all spot on when rebranding, with the name change and colour change. I think the club should be encouraging businesses like that, because in theory the people going in there would be people walking to/from the stadium. The reality of unrestricted parking is that anyone can park in those streets so there will be those who have parked and get some grub too, but the majority would probably be walkers. I see no downside for the club here at all, so if they have insisted on a name change I would be interested in hearing the justification for it.

But a rant about it? Not sure even NSC could go to that extreme. I've been wrong before, though!

Craig4004

Aug 30, 2011
Peacehaven
It's called Gulls chip shop not Gully. So on that basis they could have no leg to stand on.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'm not having a go at the club-just saying that it wouldn't surprise me if it turns out to be true.

Well I'd be dismayed. Looking at the management's track record and experience they will be wanting to focus their time and energy on opening revenue streams and not wasted on crap like this.

I'm sure the OP did hear this, but I'm also sure this is all misinformation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here