Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guitar Solos

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Right everyone, in between important student activities like drinking and trying to bed freshers, I also present a radio show from time to time and plan to do a feature involving some of the greatest guitar solos of all time.

Therefore I think it's good to get some ideas from the vast bank of knowledge that is NSC before I hit the airwaves so to speak.

I'll start by nominating Beat It by Michael Jackson (though the solo was of course EVH) and Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd. Bear in mind these songs need to be radio-friendly so not too long which rules out the likes of Stairway to Heaven and the like.

Finally if anyone's interested, I'll be on every day from 10am to midday the week beginning 26th September on www.xpressionfm.com when it gets up and running again, or 87.7FM if you live within about a mile of the transmitters in Exeter.

Thanking you in advance...

rogue

Banned
Aug 26, 2005
In a police cell
Comfortably numb - Pink Floyd

SRV did a solo on a Bowie tune that was rather good.

Eruption by Van Halen - not my cuppa, but still, it's pretty good.

Clapton's solo on the Yardbirds 'Ain't Got You' was exhuberant, dynamic, short but to the point.

Jimmy Page on The WHO's original 45 'I Can't Explain' was nice.

Tim Renwick did a marvelous job on 'Year Of The Cat'.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Any live version of Like a Hurricane by Neil Young, except the slow organ version on Unplugged.

Uh Uh you said radio friendly......Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft by the Carpenters should do it or else Crazy Horses by the Osmonds, "freaky" guitar solos by very radio friendly bands in the 70's :p

Last edited:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Guitar solos are so 70s, you don't get them much now. Jus about anything by the Who but I don't think much beat's Derek and the Dominoes' Layla.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
samparish said:
I'll start by nominating Beat It by Michael Jackson (though the solo was of course EVH) and Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd. Bear in mind these songs need to be radio-friendly so not too long which rules out the likes of Stairway to Heaven and the like.

Last time I heard it, Free Bird was about 2 minutes longer than Stairway to Heaven...

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Trufflehound said:
Last time I heard it, Free Bird was about 2 minutes longer than Stairway to Heaven...

You've not heard the tedious live version !

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
:lolol: :lolol: Trufflehound has to be the funniest poster on NSC.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Whilst I am generally a metal fan my favourite solo is the one right at the end of Queens "We Will Rock You" it really shows just how good a guitarist Brian May is, shame it's so short.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Intro to All the Young Dudes isn't too shoddy. Plus, a bit of Brian May is always good - These Are The Days must be one of his best, or Last Horizon from his solo stuff.

Jul 20, 2003
dunno which brother is spanking the plank on the Isley Brothers' Summer Breeze but that right royally kicks ass

Another Girl Another Planet - The Only Ones is another one, as it were, so to speak

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Not an obvious choice maybe but " Paint a Vulgar picture" on "Strangeways here we come," The Smith's last LP has a fantastic if brief guitar solo by Jonny Marr.

Jonny Marr - one of the all time great guitarists in my book.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
If you want guitar solos (showing my age now) grab a Wishbone Ash album.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The guitar throughtout Sweet Child O' Mine is glorious, and the solo just crowns it.

Parson Henry

Jan 6, 2004
Victor Bhanerjee's notebook
bhaexpress said:
If you want guitar solos (showing my age now) grab a Wishbone Ash album.

Blimey thats a name from the past.

Here's one for you.

Van der Graaf Generator or Velvet Underground.

It used to be trendy to make iot known that you had albums from these trendy groups in the early 70s.

King Crimson - what a load of cobblers thier music was.

:ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here