Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guess the pre-match tune that Saxondale plays tomorrow

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
He's already promised the Man U tribute act a warm welcome from the PA and we know he loves to have a witty topically titled tune and bearing in mind his musical tastes what do you reckon?

'I predict a riot' for the umpteenth time? Something like 'If the kids are united' maybe. Apparently the Manc splitters have 'anarchy in the UK' as their theme song. Will he - can he - resist the urge to play that tune?

Or...will he go down the regional route and pick something Mancunian? The Buzzcocks maybe? Stone Roses? The Hollies? The Smiths? How about Simply Red? James - Sit Down might work, you know. Or maybe something a little bit more obscure. A touch of John Cooper Clarke perhaps - Manchester's answer to our very own Saxondale, after all.

I've done a vox pop and the clever money is on umm....money. The Beatles cover of Money (although I prefer the Flying Lizards version). Ooh, I can't wait to find out.

Personally speaking - I'd go for Wonderful Life by Hurts. Very recent hit and the band are from Manchester.Then I'd follow it with this beauty:

[yt]CXstxFoayxI[/yt]

Originally a Yoko Ono song, it's Yang Yang by Anika from her new album and this song, as indeed the whole album is absolutely the dog's goolies.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
if it were me, id play some oasis. that should go down well

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Well of course the phlegmeister general will be paying one of his infrequent visits here (especially as we are talking about him) having returned no doubt from a reading of his crap poetry to a collection of 20 stoodents in Hamburg who want to SMASH the system. Right on!

Apart from advocating criminal damage in his spare time (and I would be interested on the clubs position on this) I reckon that he will play something oh so ironic by a faded punk band, well known in Manchester, like a b side to a dead bumblebees song that was on some crap punk anarchy compilation album that no-one bought*.

*apart from him as he was on it.

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
You not a fan then, TMLS?

Oasis is a good guess. How about the 808 State remix of the Stone Roses "Made of Stone". You can't get much more Manc than that and it is an awesome remix.

Don't suppose we could have Black Grape - shake your money. Not with THOSE lyrics.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Out of touch.

Wants to SMASH the system but actually conforms as most people do. Probably even has slippers at home like Saxondale. Completely RADICAL but lives in Southwick (Saxondale lives in Stevenage).

Still wears skinny jeans and a chain belt and DMs for a man in his (or approaching) 50.

Main difference Saxondale (the character) works as a pest controller, Atilla on the other hand actually did a whole weeks work in the stock exchange in the early 80s. Right on.

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Some really 'edgy' punk song which espouses the evils of capitalism in an embarrassing 6th form manner and contains no more than 4 chord changes.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
He's already promised the Man U tribute act a warm welcome from the PA and we know he loves to have a witty topically titled tune and bearing in mind his musical tastes what do you reckon?

'I predict a riot' for the umpteenth time? Something like 'If the kids are united' maybe. Apparently the Manc splitters have 'anarchy in the UK' as their theme song. Will he - can he - resist the urge to play that tune?

Or...will he go down the regional route and pick something Mancunian? The Buzzcocks maybe? Stone Roses? The Hollies? The Smiths? How about Simply Red? James - Sit Down might work, you know. Or maybe something a little bit more obscure. A touch of John Cooper Clarke perhaps - Manchester's answer to our very own Saxondale, after all.

I've done a vox pop and the clever money is on umm....money. The Beatles cover of Money (although I prefer the Flying Lizards version). Ooh, I can't wait to find out.

Personally speaking - I'd go for Wonderful Life by Hurts. Very recent hit and the band are from Manchester.Then I'd follow it with this beauty:

[yt]CXstxFoayxI[/yt]

Originally a Yoko Ono song, it's Yang Yang by Anika from her new album and this song, as indeed the whole album is absolutely the dog's goolies.
[yt]nCH1IlOfDTM[/yt]

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
Yeah, 'Don't look back in Anger' would be a good one.

PS - Why do people call him Saxondale?

125977.jpg

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Haha! Different Anika! This one is a political journalist flitting her time between Berlin and Bristol. Should be right up Saxondale's street.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Apart from advocating criminal damage in his spare time

There are times for criminal damage to be fair. However, when those thankfully rare events occur, there is also a time for dancing around like a tool playing the flute too. Apparently.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Hopefully, he'll abandon the microphone for the day and spend his time preaching right-on football morals to his new found Manc mates in a pub somewhere. Perhaps he could buy them all a beer with the proceeds of that infamous bet that he WHELCHED on. (Morals, my arse)

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
I reckon 'If The Kids Are United' by Shambles 69 is a nailed-on tbh (sadly).

I'd play 'True Faith' by you-know-who if it was up to me. Which, of course, it isn't.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I reckon 'If The Kids Are United' by Shambles 69 is a nailed-on tbh (sadly).

I'd play 'True Faith' by you-know-who if it was up to me. Which, of course, it isn't.

Madam, that is genius thinking and one of my favourite tunes of all time.

I agree though that Sham 69 must be a favourite and is a dreadful tune.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here