Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guernsey FC

luke17

Oct 9, 2003
I've been over to Guernsey FC this season and it cost me £150 for a day out just as a supporter.

It's alright having teams fly over and pay there 23 players/coaching staff for a nights stay in a B&B but how long can they continue paying all this money? People say about having a population of 65k but as far as im aware ever player that plays for Guernsey is from the island hence thats why there running away with league as they have the best 16+ players on the island, from what i've seen the current team could hold there own against Worthing/Burgess Hill (Ryman Div 1 South) but any higher with the current squad they would struggle so would have to start bringing over players from the mainland which means paying more in wages and extra flights/accommondation.

To me Guernsey will do well for the next couple of season's but when they have to start paying out more and more they will come crashing down.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Burnley's population used to be around 65k (73k today) and they've done alright (European Cup quarter finalists in 1961) bouncing up and down the leagues. Some quality chants to be had: "We are Guernsey, super Guernsey from the south" and BHA v Guernsey would almost be a local derby.

Just for a change

"You dirty NORTHERN bastards!" would be appropriate to us............................

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
It would indeed be a great away trip.

No VAT, or duty on beer!!

:drink: :drink: :drink:

Sorry but Im afraid whilst there is no VAT there isnt much diffce in the price of beer from the mainland and Guernsey.

Correct about duty free allowance tho.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Tax haven (as already posted), some real talent has come out of Guernsey with the obvious two names being LeTissier and LeSaux, 1,000 crowds means good income in all areas, for a non league side, but as far as progressing goes, I think it could be a struggle from Isthmian/Southern league up unless they are willing to fund players to actually stay on the island. Time will tell.

All true apart from the Le Saux part. He's from Jersey.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
I saw a bit of Sky Sports news on this, just before soccer Saturday just gone I think?

The chairman is Matt Le Tisier;s older brother.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
It would indeed be a great away trip.

No VAT, or duty on beer!!

:drink: :drink: :drink:

I went there on holiday 20 years ago and really liked the place. Guernsey Ales and Randalls were fine pints. It was quite hard to find real ale, but it didn't matter, as even the keg versions were excellent. Food portions were generous too, to say the least. One or two other good things as well: Yes, it is a tax haven, but they had a system where the best houses were only available to the local market, so you had lovely farmhouses for sale for £90,000, but only available to locals, and grotty bungalows at £550,000 open to anyone. And at roundabouts, instead of waiting for ages for all the stuff to your right to come through, they had a filter-in-turn system, which worked, despite sounding impractical.

Regarding football, I would have thought their potential support was limited, as for Jerseyites to support Guernsey would be like us rolling up at Selhurst Park on days we didn't have a game. Herm, Alderney and one or two other islands are part of the Bailiwick of Guernsey (the islands' official name), though their population is very small and Jersey is separate.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I've played rugby against Jersey a few times, and they do the same, pay for all our flights and hotel rooms, a great weekend away and their rugby team are excellent hosts, a good side too.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
I'm always disappointed when I open a thread that Danny Seagull has posted on to find it's not utter filth. :moo:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;4531308 said:
Shouldn't they be an international team?

That's a bit of an open (and interesting) question really isn't it? And how do FIFA grade an international team? Monaco (principality) play in the French League, San Marino are international, as are Andorra... so where are the boundaries? If Guernsey applied to be international would they get the status?

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
¤DãŃn¥ §êãGüLL¤;4531321 said:
I haven't got a lot to go on here...... come on you people need to work with me

Picture the scene, Guernsey hotel room, of the first ten posters on this thread, 3, 5, 6, 8 and 10 have formed a man-train whilst 1 & 9 are "enjoying there own company". Jim Bergarac is sucking off Charlie Hungerford in the kazi.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here