Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Guernsey FC

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
OFFICIAL SITE http://www.guernseyfc.com/templates/gfc/images/main-head.png

Probably old news for those who follow the lower reaches of the non league pyramid but I notice Guernsey joined the Combined Counties league division one this season and currently sit 11 points clear at the top!

They have a decent stadium with a capacity of around 5000, unbelievably they are attracting crowds of well over 1000 with some of their rivals struggling to draw crowds of 50!

I wondered how far people felt they could climb given the fact Guernsey has a population of 65,000 with I assume, no competition for support.

Apologies if this is of no interest to anyone but I thought it was quite an interesting story.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Also, i'm told by a friend who plays for Warlingham (league rivals) that they pay for all flights to the island for players & staff as well as hotels so they can't be short of a few bob.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

scooter1

How soon is now?
Also, i'm told by a friend who plays for Warlingham (league rivals) that they pay for all flights to the island for players & staff as well as hotels so they can't be short of a few bob.
Thats right. Flights and one nights accomodation. It was on the South news the other day. Fair play to them. It seems they were only playing Jersey and needed to up the ante a littl

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
A team full of Le Tissiers. They will go far.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Thats right. Flights and one nights accomodation. It was on the South news the other day. Fair play to them. It seems they were only playing Jersey and needed to up the ante a littl

I bet the away team players look forward to that game, sounds a bit more appealing than a Saturday afternoon in Staines or Frimley Green!

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
It would indeed be a great away trip.

No VAT, or duty on beer!!

:drink: :drink: :drink:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
they can't be short of a few bob.

I think it's fair to say the Channel Islands are home to a fair few of the richer and less-taxed, as one might put it.

It would be quite cool if they got into the Football League you know. An away day to Guernsey would be FLAIR. Until the League schedule Guernsey v Morecambe for a Tuesday evening in between Christmas and New Year of course.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
There's a forum on that Guernsey site. Someone's posted that they spend about £250 getting to each away game (flights, hotel, coach to and from the game).

Back in my graceful footballing days, I played in the South East Counties League, and the Isle of Wight were allowed to join the league. At first it was a great novelty, having to schlep it down to Portsmouth on a Sunday morning, catch the ferry over, and then get driven half way across the island to the cow field of a football pitch (think they later played at Newport IOW's ground if memory serves me correctly, which was a lot better). After a couple of seasons, the novelty wore off, and it was a long old day just for a game of football. Especially with a Sunday morning hangover.

One game, they stopped the ferry half way across and we were all laughing and joking about, thinking it had broken down and generally taking the piss. Then a grieving widow dressed in black, accompanied by a load of mourners, made her way through the cabin with an urn containing her husband's ashes, to be scattered from the back of the Isle of Wight ferry. Which sobered us up quite quickly. I hope it's what he'd have wanted...

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Looking at their fixture list, they're regularly getting better home gates than Crawley Town were at the start of last season. I notice they don't have any midweek home games, which seems fair enough, as other teams would inevitably struggle to get sides out due to the time off work needed by players.

Couple of names I recognised amongst their players: Chris Tardif was once a FL keeper, think he might have been Pompey without looking it up, and Ryan Zico-Black definitely played for a pro side somewhere. You'd have to, with a name like that. Football Director: M Le Tissier (no, not that one...he's the club President).

They were only formed this year :ohmy:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Guernsey FC do indeed have some very very wealthy backers. Like Edna says it is a real tax haven out there. Always amuses me that they have their own currency like Jersey and the IOM. Yes its "sterling" with the queen but like Scotland the notes are always different.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Looking at their fixture list, they're regularly getting better home gates than Crawley Town were at the start of last season. I notice they don't have any midweek home games, which seems fair enough, as other teams would inevitably struggle to get sides out due to the time off work needed by players.

Couple of names I recognised amongst their players: Chris Tardif was once a FL keeper, think he might have been Pompey without looking it up, and Ryan Zico-Black definitely played for a pro side somewhere. You'd have to, with a name like that. Football Director: M Le Tissier (no, not that one...he's the club President).

They were only formed this year :ohmy:

Their gates really surprised me too, wouldn't look out of place in the Conference Premier. Good luck to them and their new found fanbase.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Burnley's population used to be around 65k (73k today) and they've done alright (European Cup quarter finalists in 1961) bouncing up and down the leagues. Some quality chants to be had: "We are Guernsey, super Guernsey from the south" and BHA v Guernsey would almost be a local derby.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Tax haven (as already posted), some real talent has come out of Guernsey with the obvious two names being LeTissier and LeSaux, 1,000 crowds means good income in all areas, for a non league side, but as far as progressing goes, I think it could be a struggle from Isthmian/Southern league up unless they are willing to fund players to actually stay on the island. Time will tell.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Burnley's population used to be around 65k (73k today) and they've done alright (European Cup quarter finalists in 1961) bouncing up and down the leagues. Some quality chants to be had: "We are Guernsey, super Guernsey from the south" and BHA v Guernsey would almost be a local derby.

It would stop Gus getting an erection about Soton.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
My sons teacher from last year said he played for Guernsey - I suppose he must be quite good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here