Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
----- Original Message -----
To: <diary@guardian.co.uk>
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2006 10:58 AM
Subject: John Prescott's pie habits

Oh dear. It seems the forensic brilliance for which the Diary has become rightly renowned has temporarily deserted you. John Prescott was not "wined and dined" by the directors of Brighton and Hove Albion; but provided with a steak and kidney pie and a glass of water, as the written ministerial answer here confirms: http://www.publications.parliament....m060123/text/60123w29.htm#60123w29.html_sbhd3

Furthermore, the Falmer stadium which Mr Prescott approved is not in the "South Downs AONB" but in a field some way from the South Downs adjoining some university buildings and a dual carriageway, which happens to have AONB status still in place from its original designation in the 1960s. The field is zoned for development by Brighton and Hove Council in any case.

If you'd really like to investigate a scandal, how about the fact that Lewes District Council have spent thousands of pounds of taxpayers' money on a High Court challenge against a government decision which they are almost certain to lose? Furthermore, the council cabinet met in secret to make the decision. Furthermore, the stadium site isn't even in Lewes district. Furthermore, the council is under investigation by the local government ombudsman for doctoring a photograph of the site to make it look like you could see the South Downs, when you actually can't. Furthermore, when a journalist tried to ask the leader of the council, Anne de Vecchi, about the decision, he was punched in the face by Ms de Vecchi's boyfriend. I could go on, but I suspect I'm boring you now.

All the best
The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Brilliant. A version should be sent to the argus !!

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Nowhere as good as Pevensey Bay's but here goes....

Dear sir,

I have many problems with the modern press, one of which is lazy journalism. Were you at Brighton and Hove Albion's ground when the alleged meal was taken. I somehow think not. Neither I believe was Norman Baker, MP for Lewes, so you are printing second hand news rather than fact.

I have up to recently enjoyed your newspaper up until the last year or so. However, like all newspapers, again, the standard of journalism has slipped, whilst radio and the real independent press have covered items far better than yourselves.

All I do ask, is if you write an article, or something that is going to be construed as fact, please report it first hand, and not plagiarise.

Paull Bramhall
Brighton via e-mail

.....now back to my simpleton task of baking.

Dandyman

In London village.

Oh dear. It seems the forensic brilliance for which the Diary has become rightly renowned has temporarily deserted you. John Prescott was not "wined and dined" by the directors of Brighton and Hove Albion; but provided with a steak and kidney pie and a glass of water, as the written ministerial answer here confirms: http://www.publications.parliament....m060123/text/60123w29.htm#60123w29.html_sbhd3

Furthermore, the Falmer stadium which Mr Prescott approved is not in the "South Downs AONB" but in a field some way from the South Downs adjoining some university buildings and a dual carriageway, which happens to have AONB status still in place from its original designation in the 1960s. The field is zoned for development by Brighton and Hove Council in any case.

If you'd really like to investigate a scandal, how about the fact that Lewes District Council have spent thousands of pounds of taxpayers' money on a High Court challenge against a government decision which they are almost certain to lose? Furthermore, the council cabinet met in secret to make the decision. Furthermore, the stadium site isn't even in Lewes district. Furthermore, the council is under investigation by the local government ombudsman for doctoring a photograph of the site to make it look like you could see the South Downs, when you actually can't. Furthermore, when a journalist tried to ask the leader of the council, Anne de Vecchi, about the decision, he was punched in the face by Ms de Vecchi's boyfriend. I could go on, but I suspect I'm boring you now.

All the best

:clap: Class.

I received this e-mail this afternoon...

will correct next week
many apologies for our infomant's inaccuracy...
best wishes
jon henley

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Dandyman

In London village.
Lokki 7 said:
I received this e-mail this afternoon...

will correct next week
many apologies for our infomant's inaccuracy...
best wishes
jon henley

:clap: :clap: :clap:

:thumbsup:

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield

All the best

well put TCOPB:clap:

Tubby Mondays

Dec 8, 2005
A Crack House
BarrelofFun said:
It was a poor example but I couldn't think of another high profile case not involving Prezza. :blush:

Although he made a mistake (understatement) in his decision it wasn't compromised by accepting nourishment, I am sure.

I knew what you was getting at. Just couldnt resist it!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Dear Sir

Your a wanker

Regards

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I've had a similar email from Jon Henley.

It seems, however, that I was a bit wrong. The Falmer site is in the South Downs AONB, and not another one. Despite how far it is from the South Downs. And of course, the coach park bit of the site is in Lewes district, not Brighton and Hove.

I was still less wrong than the Guardian, mind.

It seems, however, that I was a bit wrong. The Falmer site is in the South Downs AONB, and not another one. Despite how far it is from the South Downs. And of course, the coach park bit of the site is in Lewes district, not Brighton and Hove.

Indeed. I didn't mention the AONB and concentrated on the pie. :lolol:

Sad that John Henley has lowered the high standards of journalism I usually associate with your newspaper with this sensationalised account of Mr Prescott's visit to a converted athletics stadium in Brighton. During his visit to support his local football team Hull City (at the invitation of the Directors of Hull City FC), he consumed a pie and a glass of water in the hospitality porto cabin. I hardly think this constitutes being wined and dined, and I struggle to think of a less glamorous occasion.
Brighton & Hove Albion FC is a valued asset in the community and has been fighting against the odds for its survival for several years now. If your journalists are going to twist the knife, it would be appreciated if they could at least stick to the facts.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Uncle Spielberg said:
Dear Sir

Your a wanker

Regards

Uncle Spielberg

I like this reply. Maybe we could put the word c u nt in as well

Tony Meolas Loan Spell said:
I like this reply. Maybe we could put the word c u nt in as well

But he is not a wanker or a cunt . Did you read my post above? He has apologised and will print an apology. Abusing him would be stupidity of the highest order.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Got same reply. My letter is below, with bits plagarised from the Clown Of Pevensey Bay's letter (sorry, COPB!). Apologies, also, to whoever's pictures I nicked, but I felt they were needed to illustrate the issue :blush:

What a shame the Guardian's standards are slipping. You say in your Diary piece that John Prescott was 'wined and dined' by the directors of Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club. This is wholly inaccurate. Mr Prescott was given a meat pie and a glass of water, his dining room a children�'s creche. Reference to this can be found here, http://www.publications.parliament....3w29.html_sbhd3

Furthermore, the Falmer Stadium which he approved is not located in an Area Of Outstanding Beauty, despite Lewes District Council's devious protestations. Propaganda, including incidences of blatant photo-manipulation by the Liberal Democrat council, would have their local electorate - and many misguided journalists - believe that the Community Stadium will be located in a quiet, picturesque country location. This could not be further from the truth. Rather, the stadium will be situated alongside a six-lane road, a railway line and buildings belonging to the University of Brighton. Please take a look at the attached photographs (not for publication, as I do not own their copyright) to see for yourself - the brown field in the picture is the 'AONB' in which the stadium will be built.

The Liberal Democrat council in Lewes is being investigated by the local government ombudsman for doctoring photographs designed to make the stadium location look more idyllic, and therefore mislead its electorate. I urge you to concentrate on these issues, rather than the fact that John Prescott munched on a meat pie.

Yours faithfully,

Tim Herbert

http://img432.imageshack.us/img432/690/10005252ln.jpg
http://img421.imageshack.us/img421/5913/10005260st.jpg
http://img278.imageshack.us/img278/9201/10005233cm.jpg

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Lokki 7 said:
But he is not a wanker or a cunt . Did you read my post above? He has apologised and will print an apology. Abusing him would be stupidity of the highest order.

I know that...I wasnt actually going to send anything...

It matters not, I suspect it was your composition that might have had the most effect on Henley, it was well stylistically clever :clap: :clap: :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here