Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Guardian crossword clue yesterday

Dinner with Gotsmanov

NSC Patron
May 30, 2014
Worthing
Just thought this May be of interest as it references an Albion great…

”Jimmy Case trapping ball is a delight.”

Quite straightforward.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Without knowing how many letters, my answer is JOY.
Cryptic clue. Jimmy Case (first and last letters of Jimmy - JY), trapping ball - O is often used as ball, so JY with O in the middle (trapping it), is JOY.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Without knowing how many letters, my answer is JOY.
Cryptic clue. Jimmy Case (first and last letters of Jimmy - JY), trapping ball - O is often used as ball, so JY with O in the middle (trapping it), is JOY.
This is why I have never attempted a cryptic crossword.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just thought this May be of interest as it references an Albion great…

”Jimmy Case trapping ball is a delight.”

Quite straightforward.
Would you mind tell us the number of letters? And is "Quite straightforward" your estimation of the clue, or part of it?

My first approach would be the word starts with J and ends with C and contains (traps) 'ball' with ball's letters rearranged. That's not enough letters so it could include 'is' in there.

(if the answer is Joy then Case is redundant making the clue annoying; if the answer is 3 letters then sadly I may well be in line for annoyance.)

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Out of interest though - why include the 'Case' bit? Seems superfluous and a bit misleading.
Precisely my point.

I can do cryptics quite well, but I get very annoyed with redundant and misleading elements. That sort of malarkey drives a neuro-divergent chap like myself into spasms of expostulation. To the point where the actual thought of starting the quiz causes me stress.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My favourite crossword clue is "Postman's Bag"
Without knowing the number of letters you may as well be telling me that your favourite album is their second.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here