Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Group Winners! - Sven IN !!!!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Seagull73 said:
Everybody seems to have conveniently forgotten where the England team was when Sven took over in 2001. From a team that wasn't even going to Japan, to group winners that year.

And by the way, haven't we won both qualifying groups since, for Euro 2004 and now Germany 2006?

A sense of perspective has been lost here, and don't sprout any sh*te about England should piss the group. They did, Poland dropped six points in the this qualifying group, I wonder who they were against?

And yes we made hard work of it at times, doesn't every team at some point make hard work of winning a league?

Good point and well made.

sirmax2004

Sep 7, 2005
Brighton
i thought the team looked a lot more balanced last night with SWP on the right and also lampard was much better and he had the freedom to control the game with king playing a more holding role. i would have been pretty pissed off had we not won the group whoever was manager. not a huge fan of svens but as long as we keep winning i'm happy

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
England had the weakest group in terms of the rankings of the other teams. Check this out (from The Times).

Add the Fifa world rankings of the top five teams in each European group together and a clearer picture emerges of England’s task. The higher the number, the weaker the group.

In reverse order: group two (Ukraine qualified) 171; group one (Holland qualified) 174; group four (one from Israel, Switzerland, France and Ireland) 212; group three (Portugal qualified) 228; group eight (Croatia and Sweden qualified) 237; group five (Italy qualified) 247; group six (Poland and England qualified) 290.

More significantly, analyse the gap between the second and third-ranked teams to ascertain which nations had the best chance of qualifying in second place without having to go through the play-offs. Again, in reverse order: group seven (Belgium to Serbia and Montenegro) 1; group two (Denmark to Greece) 6; group three (Russia to Slovakia) 15; group four (Ireland to Switzerland) 17; group eight (Croatia to Bulgaria) 21; group one (Czech Republic to Romania) 28; group five (Norway to Slovenia) 35; group six (Poland to Austria) 62.

In other words, on form, there was an outstanding chance that the runners-up in England’s group would qualify automatically, given the weakness of the opposition.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Easy 10 said:
England had the weakest group in terms of the rankings of the other teams. Check this out (from The Times).

Add the Fifa world rankings of the top five teams in each European group together and a clearer picture emerges of England’s task. The higher the number, the weaker the group.

In reverse order: group two (Ukraine qualified) 171; group one (Holland qualified) 174; group four (one from Israel, Switzerland, France and Ireland) 212; group three (Portugal qualified) 228; group eight (Croatia and Sweden qualified) 237; group five (Italy qualified) 247; group six (Poland and England qualified) 290.

More significantly, analyse the gap between the second and third-ranked teams to ascertain which nations had the best chance of qualifying in second place without having to go through the play-offs. Again, in reverse order: group seven (Belgium to Serbia and Montenegro) 1; group two (Denmark to Greece) 6; group three (Russia to Slovakia) 15; group four (Ireland to Switzerland) 17; group eight (Croatia to Bulgaria) 21; group one (Czech Republic to Romania) 28; group five (Norway to Slovenia) 35; group six (Poland to Austria) 62.

In other words, on form, there was an outstanding chance that the runners-up in England’s group would qualify automatically, given the weakness of the opposition.

Yes but the had two Derbys with teams that hate us - you watch, palace on paper are a far better side than Brighton but yet it well be a tight game

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What, like the 5-1 match?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Palace were a lot better than us that day, it was the most one-sided match I have ever seen.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
KinkyGoebels said:
Yes but the had two Derbys with teams that hate us - you watch, palace on paper are a far better side than Brighton but yet it well be a tight game
Maybe so, but its wide of the mark to say (as some are) that other teams have struggled in easier groups than ours.

Aggregate out the world rankings, and ours WAS the easiest group in Europe.

FACT.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Easy 10 said:
Maybe so, but its wide of the mark to say (as some are) that other teams have struggled in easier groups than ours.

Aggregate out the world rankings, and ours WAS the easiest group in Europe.

FACT.
World rankings are bollocks tho - FACT

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
KinkyGoebels said:

They are when Mexico keep appearing so high up.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
KinkyGoebels said:

Exactly. The USA are currently a better team than England? Yeah right, we beat them 4 months ago with an U21 team, on their own patch. The FIFA rankings are lots and lots of cow poo...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
KinkyGoebels said:
Well, in terms of some of the teams you see floating around in the upper echelons, ie the top top 10 or 15, I'd agree with you. But its undeniable that the shit floats to the bottom, and the low-ranked teams are certainly down there for a reason. Its never going to be 100% accurate, but as a general yardstick, you can see that this group was utterly piss-poor, and the stats back that up.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Easy 10 said:
Well, in terms of some of the teams you see floating around in the upper echelons, ie the top top 10 or 15, I'd agree with you. But its undeniable that the shit floats to the bottom, and the low-ranked teams are certainly down there for a reason. Its never going to be 100% accurate, but as a general yardstick, you can see that this group was utterly piss-poor, and the stats back that up.

Again wrong america is a big place teams like t and t get points and are above ni and the like because they play crap sides

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
KinkyGoebels said:
Again wrong america is a big place teams like t and t get points and are above ni and the like because they play crap sides
Nothing to do with NI being gash either then ?

Like I say, the rankings don't always make a lot of sense at the top, but in general most teams are roughly where they should be. There's always an odd strange exception you can point at, be it USA, Mexico or whatever, but look down the rankings and its largely correct, probably to within half a dozen places or so. Its never going to be an exact science.

Fact remains, on average we had the lowest ranked teams of the lot.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Don't get me wrong I am happy as anyone we have qualified but lets not get silly. With the players at Svens disposal it would take something to go seriously wrong not to have made it out of this group. I am with easy 10 on this one we made hard work of games against Austria, Northern Ireland and Wales. To win a world cup we need to beat the quality of Brazil and Argentina...my guess quarters again semi's if we are lucky.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here