Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Gross and Mooy

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Exactly. Alzate was the obvious replacement for Stephens but GP wanted to get both Mooy and Gross into the starting XI so tried Mooy as a holding midfield player and it didn't work. Then he switched Mooy and Gross over at half time and that didn't work either. Only when he brought Alzate on for Gross did things really start to flow.

.... when he was moved to right back?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
The balance hasn’t looked right most of the season to be honest. I think that’s in part because we’ve struggled to have our wide players fit or on form, but shifting someone blatantly not suited to the role out into that position doesn’t actually help. One thing is for sure, we need more verticality from our central areas, and Mooy looks like the one most likely to do that, even if Gross did score against WHU.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
With Gross and Mooy I don't really see pace as a problem. In this system they aren't really required to drive past players. What's important is that they are quick of mind and can get a pass away quickly and accurately, which both can, (albeit neither are playing that well).

With Gross, I think the problem is he's being pushed out wide, where he's better pulling the strings in the middle and is pace isn't so much of an issue
With Mooy, I just think the problem is form and a bit of expectation on our part. He's been a bit figured out after a brilliant start and hasn't managed to find a counter measure

I'd only play one of them at the moment, as they are competing for the same, or very similar positions

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Personally I think the key to breaking down the massed defences we've been coming up against (and will again, at least against Palace) is more width. What I mean by that is that by the time the full backs have got up into position, the defences are already well set. We need widemen already in position to fizz a low first time ball across the box.

I think 3 at the back would enable us to do this. Gross or Mooy or MacAllisters role would be the late arrival in the box for a cut back

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not really as we havent tried Propper in his Netherlands role with Stephens holding.

Pröpper's role with the Netherlands is holding midfield - almost without exception. He's played about TWO games further forward when they had a load of players missing.

His goal record is similar to that for us. He's only scored EVER, in two games for the Dutch.

The idea that he pulls on the orange shirt and turns into Iniesta is a complete fallacy.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Pröpper's role with the Netherlands is holding midfield - almost without exception. He's played about TWO games further forward when they had a load of players missing.

His goal record is similar to that for us. He's only scored EVER, in two games for the Dutch.

The idea that he pulls on the orange shirt and turns into Iniesta is a complete fallacy.
This post should be a sticky as the false myth about where Pröpper plays for NL is bought up time and time and time again.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This post should be a sticky as the false myth about where Pröpper plays for NL is bought up time and time and time again.

Largely, I think, because it is continually repeated by Warren Aspinall.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9240592 said:
While both very talented technically I think they are both just incredibly slow for Premier League footballers. A team like ours can carry one slow player, but having two in our midfield/attack does make us really easy to defend against. Has to be one or the other IMO.

Agree with this playing both makes the midfield so slow. Would rather Mooy atm

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
hkfc

Who would you expect to be most up to date with football and tactics, WA or you. Why should WA repeatedly state on the radio something which anybody could prove to be wrong, if that was the case?

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
With Gross and Mooy I don't really see pace as a problem. In this system they aren't really required to drive past players. What's important is that they are quick of mind and can get a pass away quickly and accurately, which both can, (albeit neither are playing that well).

With Gross, I think the problem is he's being pushed out wide, where he's better pulling the strings in the middle and is pace isn't so much of an issue
With Mooy, I just think the problem is form and a bit of expectation on our part. He's been a bit figured out after a brilliant start and hasn't managed to find a counter measure

I'd only play one of them at the moment, as they are competing for the same, or very similar positions

Au Contraire. To be good at footy your are either very quick or very skilful. Some, the very few, are blessed with both. We must be the slowest team in the PL and therefore rely almost entirely upon skill - and hence the problem, when Players like Gross and Trossard etc are not on form they stand out like a sore thumb because they offer very little else.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I thought I knew the Mooy we signed on loan.

He arrived and was that player - begging the question 'why sign him?'
He then dramatically morphed into the player NSC's #TeamMooy fan club wanted to sign and the question was answered.

Now he seems to be reverting back into my Mooy, again.

T'is all very confusing.

Nobody was saying after Tottenham or Arsenal they can't play together.
Maybe he's suffering the 'post contract signing dip'? ... and some might say there are others suffering similar?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
hkfc

Who would you expect to be most up to date with football and tactics, WA or you. Why should WA repeatedly state on the radio something which anybody could prove to be wrong, if that was the case?

You’d have to ask him.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What grinds me the most is not starting a game with our strongest 11 no wonder we always consistently concede first. Maupay clearly offered 20 x what Murray does, AJ is the only player that can cross into a dangerous area, I know the idiots prefer Duffy to Webster who can actually play a bit Duffy’s passes even I could read he’s so bad at them.

NSC was widely on Maupay’s back as the weeks turned into months without a PL goal. Then Muzza was lauded for his accomplished performance at West Ham. Not one person was saying last week that “Maupay clearly offers 20x what Murray does”.

Maupay must be yet another player who’s NSC reputation grows with every rest.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
NSC was widely on Maupay’s back as the weeks turned into months without a PL goal. Then Muzza was lauded for his accomplished performance at West Ham. Not one person was saying last week that “Maupay clearly offers 20x what Murray does”.

Maupay must be yet another player who’s NSC reputation grows with every rest.

You're never as good as when you're out of the team. :moo:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Maybe he's suffering the 'post contract signing dip'? ... and some might say there are others suffering similar?

We're now in Murray's Post Contract Signing Goal Drought.

Just a shame we didn't get the customary Pre Contract 10 goal haul.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Then we get back to the old problem of playing both Stephens and Pröpper in the same team - which doesn't work either.

What is the old problem? I see the problem as trying not to play Propper and Stephens together when clearly they are our best midfield pairing.

But that's just my opinion - I have never known NSC so divided over team selection. We have our best squad in the history of the club yet no consensus over the best team.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
What is the old problem? I see the problem as trying not to play Propper and Stephens together when clearly they are our best midfield pairing.

But that's just my opinion - I have never known NSC so divided over team selection. We have our best squad in the history of the club yet no consensus over the best team.

Difficult to get a consensus when, whichever team is chosen, it seems to be less than the sum of its parts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here