Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gritting the Roads

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
It is disingenuous of the City Council to hide behind a general argument about "exceptional circumstances" and "severe winters". These are not exceptional circumstances, we are having a bog standard cold spell and Lewes Road isn't being dealt with.

I'm sure someone will correct me on this, but I lived in Mid Sussex from 1987 to 2008 and I NEVER experienced temperatures as low as -7C (http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day-Haywards-Heath-RH17). At times, if it was very cold, it got down to -1C or -2C at worst. It seems to me, therefore, that there ARE exceptional circumstances - if it was a "bog standard cold spell", after all, the news wouldn't have been dominated by it every night for weeks.

I'm sure someone will correct me on this, but I lived in Mid Sussex from 1987 to 2008 and I NEVER experienced temperatures as low as -7C (http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day-Haywards-Heath-RH17). At times, if it was very cold, it got down to -1C or -2C at worst. It seems to me, therefore, that there ARE exceptional circumstances - if it was a "bog standard cold spell", after all, the news wouldn't have been dominated by it every night for weeks.
It might have been -20°C in Scotland and there has been 3ft of snow in Cumbria. But this shouldn't distract us other facts - overnight temperatures in Brighton on Wednesday / Thursday never got lower than -2°C and there was no more than 3 inches of snow on Lewes Road.

http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day-Brighton-UKXX0215

It was the City Council's failure to deal with THAT situation that I am complaining about. Those are bog-standard winter conditions, not exceptional ones. And, if Glynde village can be properly gritted and have its snow cleared, why can't Lewes Road?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Uckfield council to their credit had a gang of approx 12 men with picks and shovels clearing the pavements in the town this morning well yesterday actually looking at the time.

Brighton Buses weather release on their website at 9.00pm Friday shows they are expecting to run a number of routes on Saturday.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Popped into Worthing this morning and the NCP traffic wardens are out in force but instead if ticketing cars, they all have shovels in hand and are clearing the pavements in the town centre.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It might have been -20°C in Scotland and there has been 3ft of snow in Cumbria. But this shouldn't distract us other facts - overnight temperatures in Brighton on Wednesday / Thursday never got lower than -2°C and there was no more than 3 inches of snow on Lewes Road.

http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day-Brighton-UKXX0215

It was the City Council's failure to deal with THAT situation that I am complaining about. Those are bog-standard winter conditions, not exceptional ones. And, if Glynde village can be properly gritted and have its snow cleared, why can't Lewes Road?

Blame Mary Mears. Lots of services are now failing or about to fail due to, at best, being run on a shoe-string or at worse being ignored completely. It is her minority party's insatiable desire to provide a marginally low council tax INCREASE that is causing all these problems. Add the various costs she racks up for dubious decision making (i.e. forcing the resignation of the CE and legal fees for going against the planning committee on the Marina development) and you have the administrative mess our once great city is currently in.

Most people I know would rather pay the extra pound a week and have a city which works. Most people would also not have the tories running the council (FACT!)

If you tolerate this your country will be next!

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
Who is responsible for the A259? LDC?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Popped into Worthing this morning and the NCP traffic wardens are out in force but instead if ticketing cars, they all have shovels in hand and are clearing the pavements in the town centre.

Outrageous. They should be dishing out tickets to car drivers :wink:

Who is responsible for the A259? LDC?
Fortunately for everyone, they don't let Lewes District Council loose on the roads.

East of Longridge Avenue - East Sussex County Council; West of Longridge Avenue - Brighton & Hove City Council.

Further East (East of Pevensey - except the Borough of Hastings) - the Highways Agency
Within Hastings - East Sussex County Council

West of Portslade - West Sussex County Council

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
Fortunately for everyone, they don't let Lewes District Council loose on the roads.

East of Longridge Avenue - East Sussex County Council; West of Longridge Avenue - Brighton & Hove City Council.

Further East (East of Pevensey - except the Borough of Hastings) - the Highways Agency
Within Hastings - East Sussex County Council

West of Portslade - West Sussex County Council

ESCC has neglected Newhaven. The roads were dreadful for over 24 hours no buses for 36 hours. Perhaps they were busy doing villages?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Seaford's roads are shocking too. No sign of a gritter all week.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Now that the government have taken control of the salt - expect things to get even worse!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Now that the government have taken control of the salt - expect things to get even worse!
Is that when they take control of the pepper and condiments as well ? ???

johnnyrocketpants

Mar 7, 2009

I know it's wrong to say this, but I really hope that the nasty, egotistical, ugly, smug, greedy, obnoxious little prick that infests the shops at Goring is doing a bloody good job.
In fact I've got a bloody good mind to go down there and cheer him on.
And if I'm lucky enough to find a bit of frozen dog turd I shall accidentally kick that his way too.
Oh! How I should laugh if the petty,pedantic git came a cropper on the ice.
Nothing personal, mind.

Robbie G

Jul 26, 2004
Hassocks
Can't speak for Brighton but in Burgess Hill they appear to be coping a lot better this time than last. The town centre pavements have been cleared of snow this time, unlike pre-Christmas when it was left to form an ice rink.

Very true, I walked through the town centre on Thursday and it was miles better than before christmas.

ESCC has neglected Newhaven. The roads were dreadful for over 24 hours no buses for 36 hours. Perhaps they were busy doing villages?
Buses were running yesterday between Seaford, Newhaven & Brighton - but via the A26, Beddingham roundabout and the A27.

No good for you, though, Ned.

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
Buses were running yesterday between Seaford, Newhaven & Brighton - but via the A26, Beddingham roundabout and the A27.

No good for you, though, Ned.

I walk to work.

newhaven seagull 85

SELDOM IN NEWHAVEN
Dec 3, 2006
talking to a supplier of mine today,the salt has run out at the broyle depot in ringmer and the gritters are dry running and still charging the council.

...absolute arse. They have problems, same as we do (from the BBC).

Germany prepares to face blizzard

German households have been advised to stock up on food, medicines and drinking water as the nation braces for a blizzard that is heading its way.

Germany's Civil Protection Office (BBK) says heavy snowfalls expected on Saturday could trigger local power cuts and severely disrupt public transport.

The snow is already more than 30cm (one foot) deep on the isle of Ruegen, off Germany's Baltic coast, ZDF TV says.

In Switzerland, heavy snow has cut the flow of lorries through Alpine tunnels.

The busy Gotthard and San Bernardino tunnels were temporarily closed to heavy goods vehicles on Friday, the Swissinfo news website reported.

Snowdrifts

Gale-force winds and drifting snow are expected to bring traffic to a standstill in many parts of Germany.

Measures are being taken to protect the homeless from the weather
The German authorities say the situation is exacerbated by shortages of grit for clearing roads.

Airports have called in extra staff and rail operators have warned of delays.

Households have been advised to keep three or four days' worth of provisions, including alternative cooking fuel in case of power cuts. Among the essential items listed by the BBK is a battery-powered radio, for checking weather reports.

Spreading south

In the UK, the worst winter for decades has led to a fear for energy supplies as temperatures dropped to -22C (-8F).

"What is being forecast for the weekend could lead to chaotic traffic conditions and potentially leave large parts of Germany completely paralysed," warned the Auto Club Europa.

In cities like Duesseldorf, Red Cross workers were setting up heated tents for emergency accommodation as up to 10 homeless people have frozen to death in recent weeks because of the cold weather.

In the Netherlands, icebreakers have been deployed to clear shipping routes such as the Twente canal, the harbours of Almelo and Enschede and the Ijsselmeer inland sea.

Northern Spain is expecting more heavy snowfalls while the country's south has been hit by severe floods.

France is also braced for more snow. Meteo France warned: "The amount of snow expected is significant, exceptional even".

Parts of France - notably the south-western region of Provence - are without power and suffering transport delays after up to 20cm of snow fell in recent days.

Thanks - I do get fed up the with the usual "everything on the Continent is sooooo much better than us" which is trotted out everything something like this happens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here