Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greyhound Syndicate - NSC attempt number 4!

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Let the poor buggars be, they make excellent pets, sleep most the day, love the odd ping around a field or the garden and will be very gratefull for any treats you offer.

Our retired hound had an injury and cost his owner £1,300 in surgical fees, he was expensive to buy as he has a great pedigree, won lots of races but did not earn his owner any profit. Also its costs to retire them, getting them nueterd and adusted to living in houses.

Lots need homes as so many are breed, if your thinking of getting a greyhound rehome a retired one.

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
Precisely. I have a retired racing greyhound who was fortunate enough to have one of the more responsible owners. When he (the dog, that is!) broke his leg in a race it cost £1200 to put a metal plate in it. The majority of owners wouldn't have bothered, and it could have been curtains for him. Perhaps the people who are interested in becoming involved in this syndicate might ask themselves whether they'd be willing to shell out a share of such a bill in similar circumstances.

black & white seagull

I always thought seeing them mussled that greyhounds might be a bit vicious! But I know people who have them as pets and they are nearly all very docile loveable creatures.

Also, for greyhound you could also read racehorse, about injurying themselves. Particularly if it runs over the jumps.

Anyway, good luck to the syndicate if it takes off and if i hope you have a greyhound that wins many races and stays fit.

Last edited:

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
This is a racing syndicate, not a retired greyhound trust! :thumbsup:

The two are unfourtnatly linked, having worked at the dog stadium in my teens for years and having retired greyhounds as pets I am aware of all the possible costs involved.

Good luck to you all, but make sure it has some quality of life during and after its racing days. :bigwave:

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
The two are unfourtnatly linked, having worked at the dog stadium in my teens for years and having retired greyhounds as pets I am aware of all the possible costs involved.

Good luck to you all, but make sure it has some quality of life during and after its racing days. :bigwave:

Good point, a quick google search shows the brighton greyhound trust already has 32 greyhounds waiting for homes...

Pic's and info for anyone interested-
http://brighton.retiredgreyhounds.org/index.asp

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
Good point, a quick google search shows the brighton greyhound trust already has 32 greyhounds waiting for homes...

Del Boy

Dont know if you are fellow NSC posters are aware. But there is also a Brighton ex-Albion Trust for retired players waiting to be rehomed.

Last time I looked this delightful creature was waiting to be rehoused and would make an ideal pet!!

Also said to be have been neutered and is "house trained" :lol:

Attachments

• GuyButters_562090.jpg
    GuyButters_562090.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 52

black & white seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Brighton
I always thought seeing them mussled that greyhounds might be a bit vicious! But I know people who have them as pets and they are nearly all very docile loveable creatures.

That's right - they're incredibly affectionate and lazy as hell! If they're muzzled it's usually to protect the rabbit and cat populations - and some of them will go for small dogs, too - but with the right care and responsible ownership you couldn't possibly ask for a better pet.

Perhaps if this syndicate takes off one of the people involved might re-home it themselves, so they earn a bit of cash and get a fantastic pet at the end of it! :clap:

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Del Boy

Dont know if you are fellow NSC posters are aware. But there is also a Brighton ex-Albion Trust for retired players waiting to be rehomed.

Last time I looked this delightful creature was waiting to be rehoused and would make an ideal pet!!

Also said to be have been neutered and is "house trained" :lol:

I think Lewes have already adopted him as he was chewing the dug out due to being bored on the bench at Havant, he needed a challenge and apparently its stimulates them if they have a similar breed alongside them, like a Cullip bull terrier.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
we have a greyhound and never had a better dog,superb temprement only needs a 20 min walk and its buggered,we muzzle him as anything that resembles a bunny he is off like a shot,great with kids and loves a cuddle.

unless you get lucky and find a special animal,you are never going to get rich owning a greyhound,but the thrill of ownership even if just a part makes it a fun worthwhile hobby. best of luck to those that join.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here