Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gretna in Europe...

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Northern Premier league (in England) to representing Scotland in Europe in little more than about 5 seasons, no mean achievement.

Oct 25, 2003
didn't realise it was that small

does that even qualify as a town?

they'd probably get loads of plastics from around the area if they got someone remotely big though

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Gully said:
Northern Premier league (in England) to representing Scotland in Europe in little more than about 5 seasons, no mean achievement.
Although with the money they've spent.....

Silent Bob said:
Although with the money they've spent.....

Indeed. Two summers ago, only Celtic and Rangers spent more in the transfer market.

Just imagine a team newly promoted from the Conference only being beaten in the transfer market by Chelsea and Man Utd. You would all hate them, wouldn't you, as they cruised through the league beating everyone on the way who have existed on a shoestring budget for years but never given up. Admit it - you would hate them.

So why the love of Gretna?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I seem to remember that Fulham did pretty much that, cruise through the leagues, after Al Fayed started to pump money into the club. Mind you we did pretty well on some of their cast offs, including a manager, as I remember.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I was at Hampden on Saturday and sat with the other Gretna "fans". There were only 14000 there, of which 8000-9000 were Dundee.

The Gretna Chairman was outside having his picture taken and signing autographs only 25 mins before kick off.

Then he came in through the turnstiles and sat with the fans. He said he would do the same at the final.

Like 75% of the other Gretna fans I had never seen them play before, so didn't know any or their players, songs or anything. The standard songs were obvious, but apart from that it was amazingly quiet. One of the most genuine on pitch celebrations at the end though.

My scouting mission would give a big tick to Kenny Deuchar (5/1 to score first - thanks) and he would be one transfer target who might actually think moving to the Withdean was an attractive prospect. Also, not that we need another keeper, but Alan Main dealt so easily with whatever Dundee tried.

And my absence helped the Albion win !! Where do you want me to go next week ? (rhetorical)

Oct 25, 2003
alan main is ancient, and is also one of their coaches

oh and 1066....you think the POPULATION of gretna will increase a lot? do you propose that there will be a massive shag fest/cure for cancer?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here