Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greer - New deal after no deal with Leeds

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
That is very strangely worded from McDermott there, especially this bit

"The player's agent thought there was a situation where the player would be sold but that's not proving to be the case. The club don't want to do the deal. It's a difficult situation when you think the player wants to come."

Just a bit of negotiating tactics from Greer and his agent for a better deal, or is there something more sinister? Or am I just reading too much into it?

Hate this quote:

"The player's agent thought there was a situation where the player would be sold but that's not proving to be the case. The club don't want to do the deal. It's a difficult situation when you think the player wants to come."

To be honest I thought Brian McDermott was above that kind of Redknapp-esque shit stirring.

"It's a difficult situation when you think the player wants to come." Thanks for that Brian why not keep your private thoughts to yourself!

I thought that, then I re-read it

After also being linked with Bolton's Matt Mills in recent weeks, McDermott said he had drawn a blank with his bids.

"It's proving to be difficult that deal. At some point one has to move on. It's been going on for quite a long time now. But I haven't moved on yet, not completely," said McDermott.

"In this particular situation it's a club-to-club issue. The club doesn't want to sell the player and we were in a position where we thought they would. The club are now saying they won't.

"The player's agent thought there was a situation where the player would be sold but that's not proving to be the case. The club don't want to do the deal. It's a difficult situation when you think the player wants to come.

"But sometimes that's how it is. Clubs have got their own ideas and they've got to look after themselves. Rightly so. All clubs have got to do business the way they think is right and proper for them."​

He appears to be talking about his attempts to land the bolton player, not Greer.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Some people need to read it again.

Care to elaborate? If you are suggesting that the quote is about Matt Mills rather than Greer then I read it several times and, whilst it is not remotely clear and is written to the general standard I'd expect from SSN, I reckon it is talking about Greer and the Mills is just a separate reference in the article.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I'm glad he's staying - if only so we are spared the binfest that would have followed had we flogged him to a "bigger club".

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
He'll make a good back up for when the new defender arrives.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I thought that, then I re-read it

After also being linked with Bolton's Matt Mills in recent weeks, McDermott said he had drawn a blank with his bids.

"It's proving to be difficult that deal. At some point one has to move on. It's been going on for quite a long time now. But I haven't moved on yet, not completely," said McDermott.

"In this particular situation it's a club-to-club issue. The club doesn't want to sell the player and we were in a position where we thought they would. The club are now saying they won't.

"The player's agent thought there was a situation where the player would be sold but that's not proving to be the case. The club don't want to do the deal. It's a difficult situation when you think the player wants to come.

"But sometimes that's how it is. Clubs have got their own ideas and they've got to look after themselves. Rightly so. All clubs have got to do business the way they think is right and proper for them."​

He appears to be talking about his attempts to land the bolton player, not Greer.

I disagree. I think it is:

After also being linked with Bolton's Matt Mills in recent weeks [separate story], McDermott said he had drawn a blank with his bids [for Greer].

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Care to elaborate? If you are suggesting that the quote is about Matt Mills rather than Greer then I read it several times and, whilst it is not remotely clear and is written to the general standard I'd expect from SSN, I reckon it is talking about Greer and the Mills is just a separate reference in the article.

I read it as Acker did, above.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Shame we can't amalgamate the best parts of Greer and El Abd's game into one player - THAT player would be an absolute beast and the perfect partner for Upson.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
He was on L1 wages (very good ones) and had 9-10 months on his contract. We'd have spent more than 500k on the signing etc. fees plus the extra wages of a young CB, let alone the higher wages over the length of the deal. PLUS who EXACTLY that's BETTER and YOUNGER is coming to us on the cheap for lower than average wages? Not Football Manager type game is it this is real life and a good extention. If he's keeping Adam out the side he must be playing well. Dunk may be ready sometime this season too for those wanting to rotate in a youngster. Upson will go after this year and we'll want Greer's experience and leadership

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I disagree. I think it is:

After also being linked with Bolton's Matt Mills in recent weeks [separate story], McDermott said he had drawn a blank with his bids [for Greer].

Doesn't read that way to me. Typically "After [whatever], so and so said" means it was said after whatever happened. i.e. Mcdermott said recently, after his link to Matt Mills was brought up,.... i.e. the quotes were given a couple of weeks back, prior to Greer agreeing the new deal with brighton, prior to his bid for greer drew a blank.

Mcdermott has a history with Matt Mills, and is reported as claiming Mills struggled to get in the team last season, so it's more believable Leeds would believe Bolton would be willing to sell him than they would believe we were willing to sell our team captain.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Shame we can't amalgamate the best parts of Greer and El Abd's game into one player - THAT player would be an absolute beast and the perfect partner for Upson.

Would actually say Upson is the ideal merging of Greer and El-Abd's games/playstyles and brings the leadership/experience plus the playing bigger than he is/competitive/ability to drift wide in a pinch plus the required strength and ball playing any Brighton CB would need

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'm glad Greer is staying. He's a good, experienced Championship defender; losing him would have made us weaker and play-off rival Leeds stronger.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
No wonder there's so much misinformation on NSC if people base their opinions on articles they haven't even read properly. Amazing that some still think that's about Greer even after it's been pointed out to them.

MICK PATCHAM

Banned
Feb 23, 2013
clues in the title
I think for 500K we should have let him go and reinvest the money on a younger player to play alongside upson. Maybe leeds only offered a pittance. Also I wonder if the new contract is an ibncrease in wage ? if so, I can't see why we are keeping him ?

this

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think for 500K we should have let him go and reinvest the money on a younger player to play alongside upson. Maybe leeds only offered a pittance. Also I wonder if the new contract is an ibncrease in wage ? if so, I can't see why we are keeping him ?

Do you think we would get £500k for him which is double what we paid and we have had just over 2 years of service from him at his best.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
This is really interesting. If Leeds are claiming Greer's advisers had indicated he wanted to leave it is completely at odds with the fact he ultimately chose to sign a new contract with us. Personally I think Leeds are stirring having failed to get their man!!

McDermott is no mug, shows how good Greer is. I'm pleased he's staying.

For me the main danger or our cuirrent position is chucking the Gus playing style "baby" out with the Gus bathwater - that we've extended GG's contract shows that we might not be rushing headlong into that trap.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
McDermott is no mug, shows how good Greer is. I'm pleased he's staying.

For me the main danger or our cuirrent position is chucking the Gus playing style "baby" out with the Gus bathwater - that we've extended GG's contract shows that we might not be rushing headlong into that trap.
I'd have thought the recruitment of Oscar was proof that this danger of yours was never one in reality.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Do you think we would get £500k for him which is double what we paid and we have had just over 2 years of service from him at his best.

Some peoples ideas of what a player might be worth completely baffle me to be honest. Yes in his prime GG was a valuable asset, but at 32 his best years are clearly behind him, Still loyal to the cause and a good captain and leader, but any pace that he once had, has completely deserted him. I would eat my hat if any sane manager would bid £500k for him now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here