Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greek island hopping recommendations

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
I think Crete has it all, it's the biggest and most southerly. If you keep to the South and East you can avoid all the spoilt drunken yob areas. May is a better time to go when the snow is still on the mountains, but July is ok as long as you like the heat.
Crete is certainly big enough to have it all, as you say, Doug. But you do need to know where to go, and where not. It's at its most beautiful here in April/May, with an amazing carpet of wild flowers everywhere.

As for places, if you want to avoid Brit tourist horrors - including banged up 'nuns' - give Malia and Hersonissos a very wide berth. Agios Nikolaos is a decent, upmarket town and Sitia is a very pleasant resort. On the Western side, the city of Chania is just beautiful - Venice without the canals, and the North-West and the West coast (with spectacular unfenced mountain hairpins aplenty) has some lovely unspoilt beaches - especially Falassarna. On the south coast, Paleochora is a lovely, unspoilt seaside town. The brilliant blue lagoon at Balos on the Gramvousa peninsula is well worth visiting - especially by boat. And the Samaria Gorge is spectacular - but don't go in July/August, when it's totally crowded out.

The main towns are linked by a network of excellent luxurious airconditioned buses. But to make the most of Crete, and get to all the best and unspoilt places - especially those inland, and up in the mountains - you really do need a car.

Cephalonia is lovely (went there twice in one year) but is large. Ithaca, the island next door, we visited on day trips and was also good. Many years ago stayed on the mainland and went on numerous day trips to the lovely little island of Paxos which I would love to return to one day. Why not invest in the appropriate "Rough Guide"?

sjc_three

Dec 19, 2006
Brighton
Rhodes is right next to Turkey and (mostly) beautiful. It has a town called Lindos on the east side which is about the most idyllic little Greek town you can imagine, sitting in a protected cove with lavender growing on the sides. The main town of Rhodes in the north is also very interesting and there's a Brits lads night out on the piss town as well, called Faliraki, if that's your thing. The west coast is entirely deserted and very nice to visit too.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Missed this thread before and I can probably help you as we've been to over 20 of the Greek Islands in the past few years, normally taking in 3 or 4 in a 2 - 3 week period.

Where are you flying from / to - this will determine where I would suggest you go?

For what it's worth our favouries are Milos, Sifnos (these can be combined as are close to one another) Naxos and North Western Crete.

Santorini is beautiful, but too busy and has no really good beaches.

THere's a really good website written by a Yank called Matt Barrett - he has some excellent suggestions for which Islands to combine.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Do people still do Ios? Went in '92 and had a scream. One port, one little village center and one beach...and about 50 clubs and bars

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Only done three,Skiathos,Paxos and anti paxos,for me the small Greek islands are really something else,just enjoy going so much.:clap: Skiathos airport !

Attachments

• 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 41

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here