Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greek island advice

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Would recommend Kardamena if you decide on Kos. Fairly lively, but not excessively so. Good selection of bars and restaurants and a very nice beach. Also a bar street where on a Saturday afternoon, if you are pining for football, you can select to view any of the full range of 3pm Premier League kick-offs. Position yourself right and you can watch about three at the same time.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Can't offer any advice about Greek Islands, but I guess in 12 months time for a couple of grand you could probably buy one!!

However the dates appear to be:
08 June - 01 July UEFA EURO 2012 Poland/Ukraine
26 July - 11 August Olympic Football Tournaments London 2012 - Men England
15 August Friendly match day
07-11 September International match days
12-16 October International match days
14 November Friendly match day

From the FIFA website.

Shammo

Jan 31, 2005
Burgess Hill
I'd say to head to Rhodes and specifically to Lindos, beautiful old town built into a hill side. Good selection of restaurants, bars etc and the beach is awesome. Restaurants have roof top terraces looking up towards the old Acropolis

Completely agree with this......been there 5 times, the last time being June this year......the bars and restaurants are superb, the locals are really friendly, and a fabulous beach.and very reasonable accomodation.......be careful of the donkeys!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Can't offer any advice about Greek Islands, but I guess in 12 months time for a couple of grand you could probably buy one!!

From the FIFA website.
This is, of course, the crucial information. Thanks!

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
We've been to Kos and Crete (twice) in the last 3 years and stayed at Mitsis hotels - all inclusive, good choice of food, very clean, lovely staff and tend not to get hoards of kids - They also have Spa hotels if you or the good lady want pampering ... http://www.mitsishotels.com/

Rhodes is lovely, as long as you avoid Falaraki.

Stayed in a quiet resort just down from Falaraki called Afandu, short bus ride to Lindos and the Acropolis, which is worth going to Rhodes on its own.
Short bus ride to the town Rhodos, fantastic history about the hospital there for the knights injured during the crusades and the buildings with Minurets are astounding. The statue of Colosos was supposed to stradle the harbour enterance also.

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield

From the FIFA website.

bollocks, looks like i'll be missing a game then- i'm getting married on the 15 September- i really should have checked the international fixtures...

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Give it a short while till they default and you'll be able to buy a Greek island for the cost of your holiday.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Molyvos in Lesbos is simply stunning, good views, bars. poeple, beaches not great, but some nice ones a few Ks away.

Paros, Ithatca, Levkas all lovely

Avoid Kos Town (Blackpool in disguise, full of club 18-30 types)

Kefholinia is nice along as you avoid the capital ?

Some parts of Crete, Rhodes and Corfu to be avoided as they are very commercial.

Have fun, so jealous........

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
sorry I meant Paros! We were tendered off the ship and dropped off near the harbour entrance Oldest surviving Greek Orthodox Church there built by Emperor Constantine's mother! Beaches really great across the harbour too.

Actually if you want some history, Myceane ( sp?) just around from Pireus is a nice area. Lesvos also really nice.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Ill third that! Kefalonia is possibly the loveliest place I have been.

And Ill fourth it, I stayed in Lassi with my good lady and was one of the best breaks we have had together, amazing food, quiet, superb beach and warm sea and one of the most amazing sun sets I have ever witnessed.

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Ill third that! Kefalonia is possibly the loveliest place I have been.

Sailed around the Ionian Island many times. Took this picture when leaving Fiskardo in Kefalonia. Beautiful place.

Attachments

• Fiskardo collage small.jpg
    Fiskardo collage small.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 152

wallington seagull

Sep 8, 2003
Went this year to Paxos. Very unspoilt...tourisst havent found it yet...no english/Irish pubs or shit like that.....really lovelly place.

santorini is excuisite ( cant spell)

Mykanos also really nice place ( albeit windy!!)

went to paxos with my lady in 2007, really loved it. only 3 villages, bus service is run by guy who drives and his wife who issues the tickets. great speedboat ride to antipaxos which has an incredible beach. also been to skiathos, banana beach is where the big boys hang out! went to pethkos in rhodesthis year, great selection of restaurants, all quite cheap and lindos only 8 euros by taxi. love greece

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Surprised that nobody has suggested Cyprus. We have always had some very good holidays there and are going again in May but I am told it has now got quite expensive compared to what it was pre Euro.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It is an island and the people in Southern Cyprus in the main consider themselves to be part Greek. As you say probably pushing the limits to call it a Greek Island.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Would recommend Kardamena if you decide on Kos. Fairly lively, but not excessively so. Good selection of bars and restaurants and a very nice beach. Also a bar street where on a Saturday afternoon, if you are pining for football, you can select to view any of the full range of 3pm Premier League kick-offs. Position yourself right and you can watch about three at the same time.

Without wanting to contradict the man, I would go for Kos Town. Loadsa Roman ruins and a castle, very scenic harbour, plenty of parts of town where you feel in a working city or town rather than a tourist resort; but at the same time a few English/Dutch sporty bars and one street full of very lively places. Have to say, our flights there and back were full of youngsters going to Kardamena and it was like being in the Inbetweeners!

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
All the larger islands will have nice areas but we tend to go to the smaller, more intimate islands. I recommend;

IOS for a small island with a pretty village / town and nightlife.

Skopelos for a greener, pretty and quiet insland. Plenty of places to explore and eat but not a place for clubbers.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
Santorini is an island to visit but not to stay on. Expensive and not much apart from a stunning view.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here